Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: [EU Campaign] Retreat, Routes and Surrenders  (Read 311 times)

Offline SwydeBarca

• Surgeon's Mate
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
[EU Campaign] Retreat, Routes and Surrenders
« on: July 22, 2017, 06:42:24 pm »
Disclaimer: I am not suggesting making a EU Campaign the standard game mode. I believe a campaign like this should be for organised collections of regiments, not casual randoms.

This is an argument in favour of the European Campaign, that I think would add both realism and fun over NW.

Imagine an average line battle. I think we can all agree that the most fun part is in the middle of the battle, when all the shooting and charging and meleeing is going on. On the other hand, the most long and boring part is the closing, when there are only half a dozen line infantry and artillery-men left. The all charge is ordered, and both sides have to run across the whole map to finally meet in the middle and fight, without shooting, until one team is completely annihilated. Not only is this unrealistic (who would fight to the last man?), but also boring and not very fun, both for the spectators and the people running across the map.

But, with a EU Campaign, it would be different. Fighting to the last man costs both sides huge amounts of manpower. And if there were a system that would "de-activate" a regiment for 1 turn if they had more than, say, 80% casualties, it would had a real tactical interest in retreating, routing or surrendering.

If the commander of the battle saw that the odds were against him, he could retreat to salvage as many units as possible and save manpower. If a regiment is at 50% casualties and know it will go over 80% if it charges again, the leader can order a retreat or a route to avoid being deactived. If it are surrounded or about to go over 80%, the regiment can surrender, transferring manpower to the ennemy but avoiding the 1 turn cooldown.

This solution would make the game a lot more realistic, something that everyone here seem to embrace dearly. It would also remove the boring "all charge", turning most of the battle into the fun "shoot & stab" part.

Offline GovernerPancake

• Petty Officer
  • Caporal, 1èr Fusiliers-Grenadiers 'Jacques Desaix'
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Pankywanky <3
Re: [EU Campaign] Retreat, Routes and Surrenders
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 05:39:20 pm »
I think this is a really nice idea and i feel your pain at the end of line battles :D Only slight problem would be, won't the regiments then go all passive as if they take so many casualties they cant play the next round? Because usually the fighting starts by one regiment taking a hit for the team and engage with the enemy for longer than poking. Also it would mean even more boring if they had to miss out a round :/, but i think your concept is really good man, +1

Offline SwydeBarca

• Surgeon's Mate
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 08:16:58 pm »
I think this is a really nice idea and i feel your pain at the end of line battles :D Only slight problem would be, won't the regiments then go all passive as if they take so many casualties they cant play the next round? Because usually the fighting starts by one regiment taking a hit for the team and engage with the enemy for longer than poking. Also it would mean even more boring if they had to miss out a round :/, but i think your concept is really good man, +1

Well as you said it's just a concept, the dev or the community (who ever is doing it) would have to balance it to avoid eternal skirmishes. I understand that most battles start with skirmishing and then one regiment decides to man up and engage for real, and that making it too punishing for that regiment would turn the battles into stalemates where neither side take the initiative.

But I think by playing with the numbers we should be able to avoid that. Or maybe a commander will find a way to engage the ennemy without taking too many casualties and will use it to his advantage. Wait for a good opportunity, engage a weak spot and you have a huge advantage in the battle.

Offline Kaiz

• Standing Officer
  • "Evil be to he who evil thinks."
    • Forum Post
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 08:45:22 am »
instead of pausing a regiments turn, you could put up overall tickets for the campaign. This would mean people would still fight properly but pull out when they aren't useful anymore to lose tickets.

Offline Rhys_Eng

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 02:39:13 am »
I like this idea, it would be cool to pretend to route, and then re engage at the top of the hill :)