Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Surgeon Ideas Thread  (Read 601 times)

Offline Exodus

• Chaplain
  • Major Jackson - 1st Royal Victoria Regiment
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Louis Jackson
Surgeon Ideas Thread
« on: August 28, 2017, 09:22:25 am »
Before the release of the game, are we able to get some information about the surgeon? It's been touched on but extremely brief and vague

I was wondering possibly the ability to 'salt' wounds and bandage the player up. It should all be different depending on the type of injury to ensure that it isn't boring.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 02:17:12 am by Exodus »

Offline SwydeBarca

• Surgeon's Mate
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
Re: Surgeon Information
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 03:00:36 pm »
Before the release of the game, are we able to get some information about the surgeon? It's been touched on but extremely brief and vague

I'm talking out of my arse, but I think there will be at least 1 dev blog for arty and surgeon before the EA. These are 2 important classes and they haven't talked about them yet. Hopefully we get a sneak peak a few weeks before the release :P

Offline Dark_Knight

• Regiment Leaders
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Darkiii
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 04:09:39 pm »
will the medic be able stop hemorrhage or re-heal soldier? Will it works by faction or classe?

Online Garrel

• Master
  • 27th | Captain
    • Neptune Designs
  • Nick: William Young
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 04:13:03 pm »
I think they can stop bleeding, possibly heal as well.

Offline NiPhix

• Chaplain
  • Owner of NIPEX - Graphics Design.
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: NIPEX
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 04:18:19 pm »
I thought bleeding mechanics were not implemented into Holdfast. Allthough if someone got shot and a part of his health bar is gone, the surgeon, which I would think is pretty neat, could treat his wounds so it goes slightly regenerate again.

Offline Exodus

• Chaplain
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 12:47:18 am »
I think treating wounds would be really cool for surgeons to do. If the surgeon is able to patch soldiers up, apply salt to the wounds (don't know if that's a thing in NW Era) and get him fighting ready again. To make the surgeon job more fun it should be technical yet straight forward and a little stressful.  As who wants to stay behind the line wait for someone to drop and click 1 button and have him up again. It would make it boring.

Offline Karshaw

• Petty Officer
  • Nick: Karshaw
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 12:39:05 am »
Others may disagree, but in almost every game I've played that has the Medic / Surgeon class, I've stayed as far away from that class as possible. Even in games that try to make it more interesting, ie not making it a one click heal, this class always feels tedious and sometimes annoying to play (and I should love playing them, I work on an ambulance!). The only time I ever play medic, is when they are allowed a certain weapon / item that none of the other classes have that I want to use, and lets face it, most people playing the medic class don't do their job anyway, probably for the reason I stated above about the unique weapon often allotted to them. I sincerely hope they find a fun way to implement this class however, because if used correctly, a good medic or two can often turn the tide of battle.

Offline SwydeBarca

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 02:44:34 am »
Others may disagree, but in almost every game I've played that has the Medic / Surgeon class, I've stayed as far away from that class as possible. Even in games that try to make it more interesting, ie not making it a one click heal, this class always feels tedious and sometimes annoying to play (and I should love playing them, I work on an ambulance!). The only time I ever play medic, is when they are allowed a certain weapon / item that none of the other classes have that I want to use, and lets face it, most people playing the medic class don't do their job anyway, probably for the reason I stated above about the unique weapon often allotted to them. I sincerely hope they find a fun way to implement this class however, because if used correctly, a good medic or two can often turn the tide of battle.

The best surgeon features I have seen so far are those where you have to apply bandages to bleeding and straighten bones to heal fractures. Not the best system, but it's not a 1-click heal and it adds just a tiny bit of variety and skill to the class.

Offline Exodus

• Chaplain
Re: Surgeon Ideas Thread
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 02:17:24 am »

I was wondering possibly the ability to 'salt' wounds and bandage the player up. It should all be different depending on the type of injury to ensure that it isn't boring.
updated thread

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
    • Steam Profile
  • Nick: James | Michael
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 03:55:57 am »
Bleeding mechanics are unrealistic and annoying. Historically over 90% of the time you would die of infection in a battle. Be it a musket or bayonet wound. And having to worrying about bleeding out, aka shrinking health bar is just a pest during gameplay to think and worry about.

Offline Exodus

• Chaplain
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 10:41:32 am »
Bleeding would be annoying as hell, I dislike a lot of games with bleeding mechanics. The only game that does bleeding well is rust.

Possible Equipment for Surgeons:

Bandages - Gives health slowly
Spoiler
[close]

Hooch - Provides comfort for faster health regen, makes aim worsen.
Spoiler
[close]

Stitches - Used when shot hits the abdomen, face or thorax
Spoiler
[close]

Online Garrel

• Master
  • 27th | Captain
    • Neptune Designs
  • Nick: William Young
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 10:57:36 am »
Bleeding would be annoying as hell, I dislike a lot of games with bleeding mechanics. The only game that does bleeding well is rust.

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

A hooch would be great if all units could use this, so if the Surgeon couldn't get there straight away.

Offline SwydeBarca

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 11:32:03 pm »

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

These are some very good suggestions! :D

Also, how does Rust bleeding works?

Offline Exodus

• Chaplain
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 01:29:48 am »
A player can obtain the Bleeding status from various things, most commonly attacks from hostile animals, gunshot wounds, sharp weapons, traps, and sometimes falls. When a player is Bleeding, it will show up in an orange bar in the lower right corner of the player UI, just above the vitals bars. There will also be a percentage beside the word "Bleeding", signifying how badly the player is bleeding out of 100%. When bleeding the player will begin losing health, rapidly or gradually depending on the percentage. 100% Bleeding means a very rapid descent of health, while 1% means a very slow descent. Bleeding automatically and slowly heals by itself over time, the percentage getting about 2% lower every second, but it is not a good idea to rely on this when bleeding.

How to deal with Bleeding Edit
Use a Bandage. Bleeding will instantly stop once bandage is fully wrapped.
Use a Large Medkit or Small Medkit, this will take away the bleeding and slowly restore your health (as long as you are not damaged again during the process).
Use a Medical Syringe in emergency situations to buy yourself some time. The Medical Syringe will only give you 50 more health, and it will NOT stop Bleeding.
Wait for the Bleeding to heal by itself. (Last resort, this is very ineffective unless Bleeding is below 15%!!!)
Avoid taking more damage, which could potentially make the situation worse.

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 03:15:33 pm »
I like some of the ideas in this thread, but part of me would think it would be also cool if every player had a single chance to recover from a serious death wound that the surgeon could help with. To avoid the more irritating long waits organised events were known for in the past and prevent the rage of getting killed by a lucky shot out of nowhere.

Also, slightly related but the NCO of cavalry should be a farrier that should treat wounded horses to a certain extent.