Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Musket Accuracy In holdfast?  (Read 774 times)

Offline Shadilaynes

• Petty Officer
  • Anglo Boys are the Best Boys
  • Faction: British Empire
Musket Accuracy In holdfast?
« on: September 05, 2017, 01:10:51 am »
I'm starting to wonder about the accuracy in this game for muskets. As much as I love NW, I really hope this game won't take a page out of that games book.
Shooting in NW starts end up at a point where luck plays more of a part than actual skill. This is both due, as far as I can tell, to the mechanics of the game and the actual accuracy given to the musket.
Based on the screenshots it looks like the musket will have similar accuracy to NW.
Note though, that Holdfast Screenshot is from May, and we can hope that things might have changed since. Another possible remedy is the addition of Aim down sights to improve accuracy. Here's to hoping these will be added to help improve fun somewhat.
Either way, I hope you guys don't take this as too aggressive, nor angry. I still hope the devs will keep up the great work!
This is just a suggestion
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:51:11 pm by Shadilaynes »

Online Harris1815

• Master's Mate
  • Sharpe Fan and Historian/Musician/Organist
  • Nick: Harris
Re: Musket Accuracy In holdfast?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 01:31:34 am »
Hey photos aren't working but you can upload to imgur and redo the spoilers.

God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best  ~  Voltaire

Offline Shadilaynes

• Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 01:41:20 am »
Hey photos aren't working but you can upload to imgur and redo the spoilers.
I just did. Thank you
I apologize I'm rather new to using forums.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 01:50:20 am by Shadilaynes »

Online CyanKeso

• Surgeon
  • House Targaryen
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Keso
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 01:37:30 pm »
if you want to post the image you need to include .jpg on the end of the link. If you don't you will just post link to the img

Online Miller786

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 03:53:48 pm »
I'd say shooting in NW is 85% luck, 15% being the skill needed to actually put the reticle on a target.

As a keen rifleman in nw i hope Holdfast will require more skill to shoot accurately, while i admit that this problem is very hard to solve due to balance issues, im sure there is way, i was thinking perhaps about something to do with the timing of the shot.

For example: a perfectly aimed shot with a rifle at 200 yards will require more time to aim, so the longer you aim the more accurate the shot is, however if you aim too much you'll get fatigued and the accuracy will drop dramatically. Kind of like using a bow in warband i believe.

Offline TooL69

• Petty Officer
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 04:35:41 pm »
I hope the accuracy of the muskets will be much better than in NW. In ideal conditions, a musket must penetrate a person's chest by 70-90 meters.

To maintain the balance you can use a simple pumping skills or perks. For example, a player could receive skill / perk points for performing tactical tasks and killing opponents.

Offline Shadilaynes

• Petty Officer
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 12:08:56 am »
I hope the accuracy of the muskets will be much better than in NW. In ideal conditions, a musket must penetrate a person's chest by 70-90 meters.

To maintain the balance you can use a simple pumping skills or perks. For example, a player could receive skill / perk points for performing tactical tasks and killing opponents.
I like this idea, but my only gripe is that it might serve to alienate new players. If old players are granted such steps up, that new players would constantly be getting killed and become frustrated. This also would give regiments with experienced soldiers could decimate newer ones. I think just trying to find a way for to make it more skill based may be the best route.

Online SwydeBarca

• Standing Officer
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 02:19:08 am »

I like this idea, but my only gripe is that it might serve to alienate new players. If old players are granted such steps up, that new players would constantly be getting killed and become frustrated. This also would give regiments with experienced soldiers could decimate newer ones. I think just trying to find a way for to make it more skill based may be the best route.

In NW, a new regiment will get destroyed by a more experienced in melee. Everything that requires skill puts new players at a disadvantage, but without skill games are very boring ;)

Offline Shadilaynes

• Petty Officer
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 02:29:28 am »

In NW, a new regiment will get destroyed by a more experienced in melee. Everything that requires skill puts new players at a disadvantage, but without skill games are very boring ;)
I agree, but it shouldn't be that less experienced regiments could be not given a good chance at exchanging fire at least.

Offline Brigadier_General

• Able Seaman
  • "Conquer or be conquered"
  • Faction: French Empire
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 04:33:44 am »
You could have 500 hours on M&B and you could still miss every shot.

Offline Andee

• Petty Officer
  • Nick: [3DM]Kpt. Andee
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 03:29:55 pm »
You could have 8000 hours in NW and still miss most of your shots. Napoleonic Era smooth bore muskets only had an accurate range up to 50m and I use the word accurate lightly. All you can do is aim correctly on your target and hope for the best.

Offline Lecourbe

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Par le fer quand le feu manque !
    • 61e Régiment
  • Nick: [61e] Lecourbe
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 06:00:24 pm »
[...]Shooting in NW starts end up at a point where luck plays more of a part than actual skill.

Actually, it's historical. x)

Some troops were, of course, trained to be able to hit a target far away, but it was only a ridiculous number.

Today, we think that the light infantry was drilled to fight as a "sniper" unit. It's not true.

The soldiers who were members of these units were chosen for their fast moving, for their ability to reload faster and during the march. But not for their accuracy. "The ability to fire extremly fast repeatedly is more important than the accuracy."

They weren't trained as aiming with accuracy. But of course, during their freetime, and if they were allowed, they were training themself :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:38:59 pm by Lecourbe »

Offline TooL69

• Petty Officer
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 06:37:13 pm »
You could have 8000 hours in NW and still miss most of your shots. Napoleonic Era smooth bore muskets only had an accurate range up to 50m and I use the word accurate lightly. All you can do is aim correctly on your target and hope for the best.

An experienced soldier trained in shooting (a former hunter for example) could easily hit a man in the chest at 90 meters.
Spoiler
[close]
A salvo fire was effective up to 300 meters.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:38:58 pm by TooL69 »

Offline TooL69

• Petty Officer
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 06:43:31 pm »
[...]Shooting in NW starts end up at a point where luck plays more of a part than actual skill.

Actually, it's historical. x)

Some troops were, of course, trained to be able to hit a target far away, but it was only a ridiculous number.

Today, we think that the light infantry was drilled to fight as a "sniper" unit. It's not true.

The soldiers who were members of these units were chosen for their fast moving, for their ability to reload faster and during the march. But not for their accuracy. "The ability to fire extremly fast repeatedly is more important than the accuracy."

They weren't trained as aiming with accuracy. But of course, during their freetime, and if they were allowed, they were training themself :)

In the Russian army, first of all, they were required to shoot rarely, and accurately.

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Lecourbe

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Par le fer quand le feu manque !
    • 61e Régiment
  • Nick: [61e] Lecourbe
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 06:45:23 pm »
An experienced soldier trained in shooting (a former hunter for example) could easily hit a man in the chest at 90 meters.

Probably with time to aim, without any people to disturb him. But try it in a battle, with smoke, etc...

This is an interesting video where they try to experiment the accuracy of a smooth bore musket during a battle:

Go to 15:15