Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Developer Blog 4 - Fort Imperial. Coastal siege  (Read 2939 times)

Online Midnight

• Midshipman's Mate
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Midnight
Re: Developer Blog 4 - Fort Imperial. Coastal siege
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 05:30:24 pm »
Spectacular (See I can do one word responses too!)
General Support for Warlance Game Servers | 18e/8th Member for NW. Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/midnooter/

Online usnavy30

• Standing Officer
  • So much to see, so much to do
  • Nick: Navy
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 10:54:00 pm »
If players make use of ladders to scale the walls en-masse, I hope there is room for actual ladder climbing animation(s) for steep ladders. If there are rowboats, is there an actual rowing animation? The fort looks nice, and I hope the gunboats are usable more than just an alternative to regular rowboats, with firing the cannon on the boat. Surely the fort layout is not too simple, the main problem with sieges in previous games: quickly learning about the map layout for the attackers to eventually learn the quickest way to capture the fort's flag. If the attacking team does that every time, it can easily kill the enjoyment and immersion of an actual siege. I don't want sieges to end in less than five to ten minutes the first time. As Nurdbot said, the defenders should be able to repair the fort's cannons. It would be quite the one-sided affair if cannons, especially the fort's, are un-repairable. The fort looks daunting at first and it should be a challenge to bring it down or defend it, if the main game winning objective is to bring the fort to its knees. Or is it to capture the fort's flag sort of deal? Thank you again for consistent news developer blogs, it goes a long way to maintain interest and desire to check it out swiftly.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:39:45 pm by usnavy30 »

Online Harris1815

• Master's Mate
  • Sharpe Fan and Historian/Musician/Organist
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Harris
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 02:21:43 am »
I second Navy. He is right about finding the fastest way to cap. I have played minisiege( NW siege Server) and it does it brilliantly it has multiple routes and new players take the obvious choice of going on the ladder but experienced players can always take the underground route or simply go sapper spam fences to climb up on to the walls. And some maps really only have 1 entrance which could be a single ladder and it just comes down to fighting and shooting experience.

God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best  ~  Voltaire

Offline Rejenorst

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 05:02:06 am »
and I hope the gunboats are usable more than just an alternative to regular rowboats, with firing the cannon on the boat.

Just for clarification; How do you mean usable? If I am reading the statement right you mean more than just a boat with a cannon ie: the ability to control things on the boat like sails etc?

Offline Blaze

• Master's Mate
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 07:28:49 pm »
With every developer blog, comes great excitement for the game.

Online usnavy30

• Standing Officer
  • So much to see, so much to do
  • Nick: Navy
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 07:36:19 pm »
and I hope the gunboats are usable more than just an alternative to regular rowboats, with firing the cannon on the boat.

Just for clarification; How do you mean usable? If I am reading the statement right you mean more than just a boat with a cannon ie: the ability to control things on the boat like sails etc?
Yes, to clarify I meant the 'gun' on the boat that is the gunboat's namesake. If we can fire the cannon on the 'gun'boat it could be a more tactical means of transportation and hit-and-run tactics. Or at least, ability to retaliate if the boat is targeted by cannon fire. Controlling the sails on a boat as small as a gunboat or regular boat would be great too.

Online Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Surgeon
  • May good health be yours!
    • Holdfast: NaW
  • Nick: Refleax
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 08:00:42 pm »

Yes, to clarify I meant the 'gun' on the boat that is the gunboat's namesake. If we can fire the cannon on the 'gun'boat it could be a more tactical means of transportation and hit-and-run tactics. Or at least, ability to retaliate if the boat is targeted by cannon fire. Controlling the sails on a boat as small as a gunboat or regular boat would be great too.

You can indeed fire the cannon on the Gunboat. Albeit it being the smallest of ships with artillery on it, we have found that it makes for some very interesting gameplay.

I think it would be nice to showcase the Gunboat in a future developer blog.

Facebook     |        Twitter     |        Community Discord

Offline Gurkha

• Midshipman's Mate
  • 33rd_Gurkha
    • 33rd Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: Gurkha
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 11:30:25 pm »
Are forward attacker spawns bound to "shipyards", I would rather have them included without bound to something and can we have more than one forward attacker spawn?

Could defenders pick where they spawn as well?

Also to the devs;

Don't let this be a thing in hold fast.

Also don't make sapper defences stackable so people use them to get over walls and such. I spend hours creating maps just to see people bypass the defences when a sapper shit builds to get over walls.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:47:02 pm by Gurkha »

Online Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Surgeon
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2017, 12:54:56 am »
Are forward attacker spawns bound to "shipyards", I would rather have them included without bound to something and can we have more than one forward attacker spawn?

Could defenders pick where they spawn as well?

The shipyard capturable point and Fort Imperial itself will be owned by the defenders at the start of the match. As a defender, you will be able to spawn on both of them.

If the attackers capture the shipyard, they can spawn on it in limited numbers. However, they will not be forced to spawn on it. This means that if do so choose, as an attacker you can still remain on your ship or boat even after the shipyard has been captured.

From our preliminary testing, the shipyard forward position provided for an interesting mechanic to make the map more unique. Nothing is set in stone however and if our future tests prove that a certain feature requires balancing we’ll work on it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 01:13:42 am by Refleax »

Offline Gurkha

• Midshipman's Mate
  • 33rd_Gurkha
    • 33rd Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: Gurkha
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2017, 03:21:42 pm »
Chickens confirmed?

Online Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Surgeon
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2017, 03:57:16 pm »
Chickens confirmed?

Ay! It's official.

Offline Irahi

• Master's Mate
  • Faction: French Empire

Offline Rejenorst

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2017, 02:06:10 am »
Holdfast Guide: Do not kill the chickens...

Offline Mony-Clair

• Petty Officer
  • Hobbit in the pampa
  • Nick: Connacht_Sgt_
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2017, 02:37:14 am »

Like in Zelda games ?
J'ai une tête à me balader avec des hobbits dans la pampas moi sans déconner ?

Offline Rejenorst

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2017, 03:58:08 am »
I was thinking SKyrim :D

Spoiler
[close]