Anvil Game Studios

Poll

Do you think / want Player progression is something you would want In Holdfast?

Yes / Needs to be implemented properly
No / I don't want it here
Not sure
Don't care

Author Topic: [Poll] Tell us! Would you want some sort of player progression?  (Read 4251 times)

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
    • Steam Profile
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: James | Michael
I will write my suggestion When I get home. I want to hear what you guys think!

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
Re: [Poll] Tell us! Would you want some sort of player progression?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 08:57:27 pm »
Not really, I just want to fire a musket/cannon/ride people down on a horse whilst wearing a silly hat.

I mean with progression what will you exactly unlock? a few different flavour skins of muskets and swords? some different uniforms? facial hair? I'd rather if there is any things that can customise my character be avaliable from the moment I boot up the game.

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
    • Steam Profile
  • Nick: James | Michael
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 10:04:04 pm »
Not really, I just want to fire a musket/cannon/ride people down on a horse whilst wearing a silly hat.

I mean with progression what will you exactly unlock? a few different flavour skins of muskets and swords? some different uniforms? facial hair? I'd rather if there is any things that can customise my character be avaliable from the moment I boot up the game.

hmm, I was more thinking of a slightly faster reload or something like that, I would think character customization to a game like this is tricky, specially with the audience that wants a historical, accurate battle. Like me.

Offline Santander Jim

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Santander Jim is a Mate from hell
    • my page
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Santander_Jim
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 10:59:23 pm »
There must be difference between veteran player and green newbie, just like it always was IRL.

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 11:53:44 pm »
Mechanics wise that'd be a bitch to balance.

Offline Irahi

• Master's Mate
  • Faction: French Empire
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 06:50:04 pm »
Pls no... not faster reload.. maybe just higher rank in player profile, nothing else

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 10:20:50 pm »
Well, maybe have ranks tie in with some sort of player profile and the possible campaign meta game more. I have mixed feelings about them, if you've ever played a Battlefield title towards the middle and end of the games life you know what I mean.

If not, chances are most people here will be major and colonel ranks or even more one year after release. That is just silly IMO.

Offline Johny_Nawalony

• Able Seaman
  • Nick: Jacques Lacroix
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 08:27:21 pm »
Maybe it will unlock some small things that won't really change gameplay. Like service chevrons for frenchies?

Offline CyanKeso

• Purser
  • Nick: Cyan
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 06:01:30 pm »
Maybe it will unlock some small things that won't really change gameplay. Like service chevrons for frenchies?
. I agree with this idea. Veterans will always have upper hand over newbies like in Mount&Blade, for example, better aim, faster reaction, better melee skill etc. We don't need to boost them. If we are talking about French army they had many chevrons, stripes etc. to mark veterans. The question is what period we are going to play in. http://i.imgur.com/0rwzoBj.png Like you can see on this picture French infantry had many insignias to mark soldiers. For example, sergeant-major with 20 years of service had 2 golden stripes below the elbow and 3 golden chevrons over. Even sometimes higher rank had different epaulet http://i.imgur.com/UTq4OpD.jpg sergeant has red stripes on white and golden binding. This would be very nice looking small reward for playing for a long time  We can do same with officers, they have different http://i.imgur.com/v6bTo2u.jpg epaulets and stripes on shako. Unlocking weapons is a bad idea cos then everyone on idk 100lvl will be running with the double-barreled ultra gold musket but we can reward players with guard skins or something like that ( Old guard or fusiliers grenadiers of the line for France and coldstream guard or KGL for UK ) http://i.imgur.com/QtZ5lDi.jpg. If we are going to have class limit for example 100 players team max 15 skirms, 5 arty crew, 4 cav and 2 officers + ( 14 men guard battalion [counting 1xofficer 2xmusician 1xstandard bearer] we have 10 elite skins allowed on map ) with 70 line players. Or they can work like heroes in Battlefront ( when Darth Sidious arrives you can spawn as his guard ) or dreadnought in BF1, they will arrive when one side is losing badly with better stats ( slightly increased health and better aim [ smaller spread of cartridges ] ).

Offline Jazure

• Landsman
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 06:14:36 am »
I think there needs to be some sort of player progression, but not necessarily with stat boosts or anything. I think it's not necessary if you want to keep a community like Napoleonic Wars M&B, but that hasn't worked out well in terms of population. It helps keep people stay instead of keeping a small niche (which is okay if you want it that way). Many new people to the type of game will end up quitting quickly and not develop a love for the game as they don't see a point of playing the game/unlocks.

I think it'd be a hurt for the long run for population to not have some sort of progression and community for the game unless the plan was to keep a few hundred maybe thousands players niche. Maybe an EXP system unlocking ranks (This is a gray area as some games like Heroes and Generals are incredibly grindy for rankings, and you can't have the entire population playing officers or whatever), cosmetics, and many other things I wouldn't be able to think of. I think an EXP/Currency system for unlocking stuff that doesn't affect gameplay much is almost necessary for a healthy population. Maybe think of other game models that are successful with maintaining their playerbase.

It comes to your vision too. Of course loyal and lovers of Napoleonic Wars do not need more than the gameplay itself, but I think it needs to be taken consideration of a much larger and and a bit more demanding population if you want a community of a sizeable amount. After all, I think pouring your passion for a game should be shared to many and I really do see the potential for the average/casual gamer (Just look at all that hype you've built from all the youtubers/youtube videos alone! as well as the top 10 videos which are viewed at a significant amount). But in the end it's your decision and vision.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:21:07 am by Jazure »

Offline Ewoksson

• Petty Officer
  • Nick: PussySlayer69
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 10:40:53 pm »
Progression in some way would of course be an extra carrot for the players to keep playing, even if the game might be a bit unpolished during Alpha/Beta and so on.
Small stuff like getting a more veteran character look the higher leve you are is something the Red Orchestra game series has used a lot.
NW hasn't really had any progression, but a few mods and scripts allows for servers to keep track of stats and inventory, same should at least be possible here.

Offline Chadman

• Regiment Leaders
  • Able Seaman
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 02:42:21 pm »
For single player etc, yes it would be fun

but it should be able to be turned off for Competitive events. So everyone fights at the same level.

Then the competition is down to skill, tactics and command.

Offline Izzdaer

• Landsman
  • Nick: Izz
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 01:34:06 pm »
I agree that it should be something cosmetic or non-game changing if it were to be implemented, else it would have a negative affect on linebattles, and regiment events etc. I love the chevron idea on player models! or maybe a tag on scoreboards like some CS:GO ribbons?

Offline Mendoza

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 02:01:32 pm »
it should only be a thing if there is a singleplayer part in this game. otherwise i think the "i have more freetime because i dont have a job" thing is not very usefull. on cs.go there are too much flaming kids wich think they gained the thing of life if they reach a high rank.  ;D ;D *just a joke..*

Offline Ewoksson

• Petty Officer
  • Nick: PussySlayer69
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 02:26:39 pm »
For single player etc, yes it would be fun

but it should be able to be turned off for Competitive events. So everyone fights at the same level.

Then the competition is down to skill, tactics and command.

it should only be a thing if there is a singleplayer part in this game. otherwise i think the "i have more freetime because i dont have a job" thing is not very usefull. on cs.go there are too much flaming kids wich think they gained the thing of life if they reach a high rank.  ;D ;D *just a joke..*
If you actually get butthurt by kids bragging about their cosmetics stuff, then maybe take a look at the internet in general. There's always a way to piss off others by one mean or another. Whereas cosmetic bragging isn't the worst kind of bullying.
During my 6 years playing the Red Orchestra series, I've never had a guy run up to me saying my character looks bad, because the change is subtle, and there's only three looks overall for each role depending on experience.  :D
People are more likely to bully you because you suck at a game, rather than bullying your characters look, in games in general.

Another option for cosmetic stuff might be having some skill calculator do the math and assign you either a more ragged look or a emblem on your shoulder, its just as subtle, but then you actually got the right to brag, if you want to look like a complete asshole of course.  ;D Making it optional to wear certain looks would also diffuse the situation, as players will choose whatever look they feel like, even if they might unlock more looks by progression.

Overall, implementing player progression will, as I've said in an earlier comment, make the game more attractive and popular as you feel rewarded by playing it.
See behaviorism, pavlovs dogs, positive motivation, whatever you want to call it. It works like a drug.
Source: Myself from experience being a teacher, server & game admin and past community manager.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 02:35:55 pm by Ewoksson »