Anvil Game Studios

Poll

Do you think / want Player progression is something you would want In Holdfast?

Yes / Needs to be implemented properly
No / I don't want it here
Not sure
Don't care

Author Topic: [Poll] Tell us! Would you want some sort of player progression?  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Mendoza

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Faction: Neutral
Re: [Poll] Tell us! Would you want some sort of player progression?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 05:28:23 pm »
you need a reward to play a game a longer time? mount and blade / nw servers are still not empty and you dont get a shiny blinky badge for an million hours in game. if its a question of the longest, so yes, for some guys that should be a thing. but in general gameplay of this game, it realy dosnt matter. specialy if your are part in a regiment and fight linebattles. to get a reward for kebab much guys in one match, is part of the regiment you are in. i understand your view, and im not angry if it will be a thing in this game, but very useless. haha

Offline Ewoksson

• Able Seaman
  • Nick: PussySlayer69
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 05:35:22 pm »
you need a reward to play a game a longer time? mount and blade / nw servers are still not empty and you dont get a shiny blinky badge for an million hours in game. (insert contrary belief than these start and ending comments here) but very useless. haha
It's not useless as the concept has worked in thousands on games. You might very well be an optimist about the game, but I'm the pessimist and I don't want this game to share the same fate as eg, Of Kings and Men.
Sure, we got some M&B: NW regiments ready to go over to this game, but that is, if this game also has something to give to public players which M&B: NW doesn't already got.
But don't throw public players importance under the bus. These regiments gets their recruits from somewhere, that is a public server where players buying this game expect to try it out before maybe dedicating themselves to a regiment.
These public players has no ''1aLgr_Lt_Ewoksson'' to put in their names (Yes, that's a player made player progress in one way or another.)

You can't come here with an attitude like ''M&B:W - NW'' didn't have it so why should we?''-way of looking at things, because what do you want? Do you want a better game than NW or do you want a replica?
In that case, go play NW instead, because if this game is going to be an exact replica, then no-one will simply bother buying and switching from M&B:W - NW to HF:NAW.
We should all contribute with ideas to make this a lasting game, and not a dying green-light game from the start.

As I've said twice before. Reason why WoW continued to be so addicting, just like CoD, BF, etc, and as of lately DayZ, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds / H1Z1 is because player progress / rewards.
Now, I am not implying this game have to follow any of those games footsteps with micro-transactions, P2W-concepts, trade-able stuff, etc. But to at least keep an open-mind that the market has changed, and the players has too.
I'm a frequent player of Squad and ARMA which doesn't track progress, and I do play a lot of singleplayer games which has no progress for other than yourself to see. So don't call me out.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:06:03 pm by Ewoksson »

Offline Scandypandy

• Petty Officer
  • Is minic a bhris béal duine a shrón.
  • Nick: Scandypandy
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 05:41:44 pm »
you need a reward to play a game a longer time? mount and blade / nw servers are still not empty and you dont get a shiny blinky badge for an million hours in game. if its a question of the longest, so yes, for some guys that should be a thing. but in general gameplay of this game, it realy dosnt matter. specialy if your are part in a regiment and fight linebattles. to get a reward for kebab much guys in one match, is part of the regiment you are in. i understand your view, and im not angry if it will be a thing in this game, but very useless. haha

NW has survived simply because there isn't an alternative; if it had player progression, I daresay there would be more than 2 EU servers which can still boast 100+ players daily outside of event hours.
Player progression is quite easy to implement even if it is purely cosmetic. Give people options of more styled/tattered uniforms. Medals. Whatever, something that still fits roughly with the period while giving some flexibility.

ANY sense of progression is a tried and tested way to keep people playing; if you can have it, there's literally no reason not to.
Look at NRP on NW; when a leaderboard on the server was introduced,  countless people spent more time serverside in an attempt to boost their place on it.
It isn't always about bragging rights or incentive to stay, sometimes it's just nice to get a little acknowledgement of your ability/investment.

I can understand not wanting it if it meant sacrificing something else, but who in their right mind would actively say "NO, I don't want this feature which does literally nothing but help the game!!!!"
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 05:43:58 pm by Scandypandy »
Ní dhéanfadh an saol capall rása d'asal.

Offline CyanKeso

• Surgeon
  • 7e Regiment d'infanterie de Ligne
  • Nick: Cyan
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2017, 06:35:13 pm »

NW has survived simply because there isn't an alternative.

It's all due to lack of FPS/TPP games in the Napoleonic era, even with player progression it would be same. I already said about an idea for progression system few posts earlier but it all depends on how demanding gameplay will be. If someone of you played Verdun, they've done great work with system cos it doesn't affect stats etc. Your squad level just unlocks later uniforms and better skills for NCO. Player level gives you points to unlock weapons but due to a small variety of firearms, we don't need them.

Offline Ewoksson

• Able Seaman
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 06:56:35 pm »

NW has survived simply because there isn't an alternative.

It's all due to lack of FPS/TPP games in the Napoleonic era, even with player progression it would be same. I already said about an idea for progression system few posts earlier but it all depends on how demanding gameplay will be. If someone of you played Verdun, they've done great work with system cos it doesn't affect stats etc. Your squad level just unlocks later uniforms and better skills for NCO. Player level gives you points to unlock weapons but due to a small variety of firearms, we don't need them.
Yeah, Verdun is similar to RO2. Progress is mostly cosmetic with the more ragged uniform look, but also gives you progress from having the revolver to the pistol on the soviet side, with similar changes on the german side.

Offline Mendoza

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 07:58:19 am »
You can't come here with an attitude like ''M&B:W - NW'' didn't have it so why should we?''-way of looking at things, because what do you want? Do you want a better game than NW or do you want a replica?
In that case, go play NW instead, because if this game is going to be an exact replica, then no-one will simply bother buying and switching from M&B:W - NW to HF:NAW.
We should all contribute with ideas to make this a lasting game, and not a dying green-light game from the start.

if YOU need for a long time play a game this rewards, so have fun if its includet here. otherwise i REALY HOPE that this game not will be like dayz bf cod or all the other crap clicky shooter games (my own view for sure). yea this game should be unique, but implement such rewards because the bf and cod players need this? haha common. but hey we cannot find a point, so i will  even enjoy this game wen this will be a thing.

Offline Scandypandy

• Petty Officer
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 01:12:48 pm »

if YOU need for a long time play a game this rewards, so have fun if its includet here. otherwise i REALY HOPE that this game not will be like dayz bf cod or all the other crap clicky shooter games (my own view for sure). yea this game should be unique, but implement such rewards because the bf and cod players need this? haha common. but hey we cannot find a point, so i will  even enjoy this game wen this will be a thing.

You don't want the game to be like COD or Day Z? What on earth made you suspect it would be?
You obviously know-as the rest of us do-that the gameplay looks to be simply an upgrade of the original NW formula.
You also know the setting is still Napoleonic Wars.
You also know every update the devs have released.

So the only thing left that has anything to do with COD or Day Z is commercial success...which I'd love to see!
If you do not want any innovation, changes or upgrades to the NW formula, then maybe you should stick to playing NW!

There is not a single credible downside to a level of player progression provided it is kept within a reasonable level, ideally tying in with customisation (a-la Red Orchestra Games)

So far the only arguments against it are:

-IT WASN'T IN NW!!!
-I DON'T LIKE CALL OF DUTY!!!
-WHAT IF PEOPLE LIKE IT?

Come on, lads.
Any way to stand out-however significant or insignificant-is a huge boost not only to a players enjoyment also their presence in the game. When you earn something you really feel like you have earned it.

Hell, why not even display a little rank next to their name? That sounds a little call-of-dutyish in itself, but it does no harm. Admins of servers are not going to abide by people breaking rules for the sake of boosting progression anyway-at least good ones (and our ones) aren't-so why deny your players something to aim for while serverside on the game?

I daresay a progression system could also make the tracking of Regimental promotions and recruitment a hell of a lot easier, and potential "ranked" or "unranked" matches could let people play both competitively or noncompetitively; this already happens in NW but there are no mechanics-based ways to differentiate the two.

I support player progression in the game, there are more guaranteed positives to it than there are even theoretical negatives. NW diehards need to cool it a little.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 01:23:29 pm by Scandypandy »

Offline Mendoza

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 02:15:19 pm »
They are not the only arguments, I take cod and dayz only as a bad example that a player rank can also lead competition on a wrong level, which is not conducive to a neat handling in the community. thats my view. if the cod, dayz players want play THIS game in napoleonic war theme and still want have the option to show how great they are, yea implement it. i take my part in this poll, and if more guys want a system like that they should get it, if the devs take care of it.

Offline Scandypandy

• Petty Officer
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 02:18:50 pm »
I just fail to see any downside which isn't incredibly easy to solve, yet I can see multiple benefits.

The only credible downside I can see is slight immersion-issues if progression is tied to cosmetics but providing they keep the cosmetics to an on-theme level that's not an issue either.
Wouldn't you like to see lines of players of varying experience, old and tattered/grizzled veterans in their well worn gear alongside fresh-faced young men on the front?

It could be the most subtle thing in the world, we aren't talking "REACH PRESTIGE LVL 90 TO UNLOCK A GOLD-PLATED BAYONET", just a simple little acknowledgement of a player's skill in the game.
There hasn't even been any prospect of an agreed method of progression, just the discussion the concept itself.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:21:52 pm by Scandypandy »

Offline Mendoza

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 02:45:44 pm »
you are right, i see only the system of that games and how it can be a negative thing for a good game atmoshpere, that is my fault. it is for sure an other thing if you can only reach uniform badges and smaller stuff. on that way it can easy go crazy to get always new things, but yea in a small range it can be fun perhaps?

its good to discuss that from diffrent view and experience. most important thing for this game is for sure, to make it attractive fore more player to get a good base for more implements and a growing society. bread and games! (how ever it is translate in english)

Offline Scandypandy

• Petty Officer
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2017, 02:57:58 pm »
NW has quite a diehard community because it is as others have said the only real game of its kind; it's natural to be a bit wary of any major changes brought with Holdfast to the NW formula for fear of it splitting a community which many see as spluttering a final few coughs, when this is not at all the case!

NW still has a huge amount of players, and while there are only a few public servers that get populated, there is certainly a community with countless members. Over at NRP we've been working hard to make our players feel like they are part of a community so that when Holdfast comes out, they can all move over with ease.

Player progression is one of many little innovations that I think would be very welcome in the game, personally I think a lot of people see Holdfast as though it were a continuation of NW as opposed to a brand new game in its own light; we shouldn't approach it like a little blip in the niche of Napoleonic FPS games, we should see it as an opportunity to create a big, brand new community around a game and setting we all love.

I say bring on the innovative and the new and the shiny, I'd like to see Holdfast do incredibly well not only so we have players to fill our servers with but to bring a little more attention to what really is a unique experience.

GIVE US HATS

Offline Ewoksson

• Able Seaman
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2017, 02:04:54 am »
Tbh, further character customization, foremost the ability to change the look of the overall uniform, would only hurt the ability for server owners to config unique uniforms for donators, map contributors, veteran players and admins.
I'm all for emblems, badges, levels and rank insignia's, but we should however keep the similar look for each player in a in-game regiment, and not give Halloween costumes for regulars, as it would turn this game into Team Fortress 2 instead of a Napoleonic Wars-era game. Subtle changes and more options are the key.

Offline Xenoyia

• Able Seaman
  • 44th Cpl. Luke Valentine
    • Photography/Music Portfolio
  • Faction: British Empire
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2017, 03:00:37 am »
Keep it historically accurate, if there's anything to change. Absolutely no power boosts from progression though - would kinda ruin the balance of the game.

Offline Exodus

• Chaplain
  • Major Jackson - 1st Royal Victoria Regiment
  • Nick: Louis Jackson
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 11:14:18 am »
If anything, this is just an idea and only am thinking aloud. Take this suggestion with a grain of salt.

There could be player levels. Hey! Don't get your nickers in a knot, I know this is a game based on history but here me out.

So what this means, how it works and what it does for us.

Levels
So lets think that currently, level 30 is the maximum level in Holdfast: Nations at War. Players earn experience from playing the game by damaging other players, healing teammates, capturing flags/objectives, completing games and following orders of Officer.

The XP progress bar is on the top left of the HUD and experience earned is in blue.
An in-game announcement is shown when a player reaches the next level on some servers.

Level System
This overview shows how many XP are needed to reach the next level:

Changelog:
Added killed person with their character, top right.
Added level, top left.
Did not get around to adding bluebar

Levels

XP to reach this Level

1 200
2 200
3 600
5 500
8 100
11 500
15 900
22 800
31 300
41 300
52 800
65 100
77 900
90 600
102 900
114 200
124 600
134 000
149 800
165 400
180 900
196 000
211 100
226 200
241 100
256 100
271 200
286 400

Why add a Level system?
It gives players the opportunity to strive for a better level that could allow them in better regiments that might be a requirement to join due to experience.
It gives a goal
It gives people the added incentives of teamwork by following orders, damaging other players, healing teammates, capturing flags/objectives & completing games before rage quitting early.
As you ascend through the game’s ranks, you will earn medals and unlock random unit badges The badges would be visible on your character. Making these tradeable through Steam’s inventory system.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:17:39 am by Exodus »

Offline Harris1815

• Master's Mate
  • Sharpe Fan and Historian/Musician/Organist
  • Nick: Harris
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2017, 03:03:20 am »
Spoiler
[close]
I really enjoy the idea of having a certain amount of EXP level to join a regiment but have it optional for regiments.

God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best  ~  Voltaire