Anvil Game Studios

Poll

Do you think / want Player progression is something you would want In Holdfast?

Yes / Needs to be implemented properly
No / I don't want it here
Not sure
Don't care

Author Topic: [Poll] Tell us! Would you want some sort of player progression?  (Read 1810 times)

CyanKeso and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Archduke

• Landsman
Re: [Poll] Tell us! Would you want some sort of player progression?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2017, 12:43:43 am »
I'm personally not quite sure. I don't think there should be any statistical difference between the game-given skills of players because this should be based on how good you are at the game (like Mount and Blade). However, if you could find a way to add more customizable features after initial early access release, it could potentially work.

Offline Kaiz

• Petty Officer
  • "Evil be to he who evil thinks."
    • Forum Post
  • Faction: British Empire
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2017, 05:42:21 pm »
One thing could be medals for the AGS hosted battles (depending how often they are hosted) or their big battles. Victory medal if your nation wins, normal medal if your nation doesn't. I know medals weren't accurate but they were handed out after Waterloo https://cornwalls-regimentalmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/History-of-British-Army-Medals.pdf

Imagine all the new players seeing a captain with a big gold 1 medal
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 05:47:05 pm by Kaiz »

Offline AlekoTheGreek

• Able Seaman
  • Born in the year of the false spring.
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: AlekoTheGreek
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 04:59:23 am »
Games like warband and Holdfast should always stick to the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid)
This is the very core of their "sandboxy battle" nature. Progression works great with games like Battlefield,
but not with Warband and its successors. What makes Indie games like these unique, is this beautiful simplicity in character mechanics.
Ever revoked promises. Deliberate coincidences. All full of lies.

Offline Xethos

• Able Seaman
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 09:25:50 pm »
Since the thread's been bumped . . .

No, there should not be any progression. Too many problems with it.

My own view is that progression in a game is a substitute for an increase in player skill gap. Games that are commercially successful because of their progression (as in, would not have been successful without it) are the games that are designed to be far more accessible to new players. They permit those new players to learn and become proficient in everything about the game very quickly, which makes having better stats and better stuff the only way to significantly improve a player's performance. It's a model that works, but it's not one I want to play. For me, a great part of NW's appeal was the fact that somebody who just bought the game and is launching for the first time gets all the same stuff a long time veteran gets, but the combat is difficult enough that the long time veteran can beat the snot out of the new player. There's a significant skill gap independent of any ingame progression.

That said, even if it were proven to me that the gameplay would in fact be better with progression than without it, I'd still say no because of the ambiguity of acquiring it. If you could progress by playing the game whenever, wherever, the top ranked players are all going to have been the ones sitting in their private server poking away at each other to grind out levels. If you tried to solve that by only allowing progression on official servers, you're effectively punishing people who only get on to play privately held events (I've seen a lot of people trying to measure the NW's popularity through pub servers - that's unreliable given how much of the game's population show up twice a week for an hour and never play the pub servers). I do think part of NW's ability to retain so much of its playerbase for so long has been the preeminence of private servers. Much as I loved old NA1, it was better for everyone that the ten-thousand people who get seizures if they don't use a slur every twenty minutes had other places to go.

Which is all to say that progression introduces more problems than it solves.
04:25:13 - [Cup_of_Tea] Hey Xethos! I bet you're a gentleman of less than reputable quality!

Offline Rhys_Eng

• Landsman
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 02:37:05 am »
I think everyone should fight on the same level, and you dont get boosts and better aim for being a higher level or whatever. That's so arcade style.

But Maybe some chevrons on the arm or something subtle that indicates your experience level.

I would be also really cool if there was a statistics page where it told you how many kills you have in total, and kills from horseback for instance, or arti kills.

Offline MrSharkie

• Petty Officer
  • EastInCo | Commodore
  • Nick: Sharkie
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2017, 12:56:39 pm »
For me, I find that there is already a sort of progression within the game. At its core everyone wants to get as good as they possibly can and be the best. Therefore the more you play, the better you become and the more people you can beat. Adding rewards such as a "Reload Speed Boot" Would ruin the mechanics and make it even more unbalanced from a Vet to a newbie. Anyway having regiments within the community add the progression. You can rank up in them and the more you play with that regiment, the higher rank you will get and have more power and able to eventually command units of your own. The way I see it, it has already got enough progression to keep a player interested! :)

Offline j-schipper1

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Proud to be Dutch..
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2017, 07:45:51 pm »
Dont make the Cod MISTAKE! no weapon upgrades keep it realistic.
Just only Levels  ;)

Online Jackson

• Global Moderator
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2017, 07:50:08 pm »
Hook me up with those weapon upgrades.

-Freelance character designer for Holdfast: Nations At War.

Offline j-schipper1

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Proud to be Dutch..
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2017, 08:01:56 pm »
Haha the only thing i like is a sword where you can put your own name in just like this

Or gold on the muskets.. but please do not make a cod mistake where everybody gets its own weapons thing about the historical facts..

Offline Papa

• Landsman
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2017, 02:46:31 pm »
So I was looking at this and I think that I have a solution. Instead player progression giving just small cosmetic things, or making you better at combat. Why not add the ability to through, player progression to increase the buffs of the officers? making the units near them and under their own command better. Now mind you I am assuming that officers are rubbish at actually fighting here. But giving the higher ranked officers the ability to lead better could encourage line battles more. This also allows the veterans to help teach new players the game. By simply leading as a good officer would.
You would however need a system for a finite amount of officers/NCO's in any given match. Which can lead to issues by it's self.

But this could be something that adds a lot to the game.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 02:49:46 pm by Papa »

Offline [568 Reg] Sober

• Landsman
  • Holdfast boiiiii
  • Nick: Sober
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2017, 04:29:26 pm »
Laser beams attached to their fricken heads.

Offline Muddy

• Landsman
  • ~FH~ 4 lyfe
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2017, 12:02:00 am »
I would argue the players that need a progression system to play a game are not the kind of players that will be playing the game.
Go niche or go bust. 

Offline Archer

• Landsman
  • 1st Royal Marines - Sergeant
  • Nick: Archer
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2017, 05:54:06 am »
Maybe it will unlock some small things that won't really change gameplay. Like service chevrons for frenchies?

Online Legs

• Landsman
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2017, 03:58:44 pm »
I personally would love a leveling system; not only will it encourage players to stick around but it will allow the more competitive regiments to start setting minimum requirements for recruits. Awarded medals for in game kills/ objectives will also allow regiments to be more sure of who is deserving of promotions to higher positions, and will give players a trophy case for their achievements in the game.

Being able to hit Tab in game and see everyone's levels to see how experienced people are would be a nice feature, although as many people have mentioned stats and unlocks through leveling that give experienced players some kind of advantage advantage are a big no from me.
Still a doctor dw