Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Developer Blog 9 - Musicians! Pomp and circumstance  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Eazy-E

• Master's Mate
  • E
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: 25th_Cpt_Eazy-E
Re: Developer Blog 9 - Musicians! Pomp and circumstance
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 05:31:40 pm »
Looks fantastic. The in game footage looks great too, very exciting! 

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
    • Steam Profile
  • Nick: James | Michael
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 05:54:40 pm »
I'm really happy to hear ambience there. Something NW was missing and no, annoying birds chirping does not suffice.

Offline Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Surgeon
  • May good health be yours!
    • Holdfast: NaW
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Refleax
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 06:05:12 pm »
Amazing, keep up the good work!!  I play the drums so made this even more amazing for me now!!

Dreas was also in a band before he started working on the game. He's quite the drummer himself!

Facebook     |        Twitter     |        Community Discord

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 06:33:13 pm »
I'm really happy to hear ambience there. Something NW was missing and no, annoying birds chirping does not suffice.

Somebody finally found a home for that one wild barking dog.

Offline Olafson

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Master's Mate
  • 85ème Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 09:12:16 pm »
:( I love that dog I added to the NW sounds...

Facebook     |        Twitter

Offline Jelly

• Midshipman's Mate
  • cry havoc and let slip the doggos of war
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 09:34:49 pm »
:( I love that dog I added to the NW sounds...
there there it wasn't all that bad

Offline usnavy30

• Server Administrator
  • Surgeon's Mate
  • So much to see, so much to do
  • Nick: Navy
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 10:49:00 pm »
That's a nice change of pace, violinists! I tried playing the violin way back when I was a mere child. Didn't have the patience then, but I appreciate the elegance and grace the violin offers. The fife and drum animations look more lively even for a first version perhaps. I like how the fifer is moving his fingers as he plays. It's a nice little detail. The drum animation could use a little tweaking though. Unless it is actually that easy to drum so strongly with visual tapping. Were pistols so common for the musicians to carry them frequently? It's not a bad choice either so the musicians can help in a volley of musket fire or closing the gap between the enemy. As for the musician buff increasing efficiency with the number of musicians also playing, that will be interesting to see in-game how many musicians maximum can quicken the reloading speed. Also if said musicians need to be playing the same tune or can play different songs in proximity for musket reloading speed bonus. I wonder if musicians will also affect rifles and similar firearms..
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:23:09 pm by usnavy30 »

Offline Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Surgeon
  • May good health be yours!
    • Holdfast: NaW
  • Nick: Refleax
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 01:47:20 am »
That's a nice change of pace, violinists! I tried playing the violin way back when I was a mere child. Didn't have the patience then, but I appreciate the elegance and grace the violin offers. The fife and drum animations look more lively even for a first version perhaps. I like how the fifer is moving his fingers as he plays. It's a nice little detail. The drum animation could use a little tweaking though. Unless it is actually that easy to drum so strongly with visual tapping. Were pistols so common for the musicians to carry them frequently? It's not a bad choice either so the musicians can help in a volley of musket fire or closing the gap between the enemy. As for the musician buff increasing efficiency with the number of musicians also playing, that will be interesting to see in-game how many musicians maximum can quicken the reloading speed. Also if said musicians need to be playing the same tune or can play different songs in proximity for musket reloading speed bonus. I wonder if musicians will also affect rifles and similar firearms..

Yes, the bonuses acquired while staying in the vicinity of a musician playing a tune will apply to all firearms. I do agree that the drum animation could use a little tweaking. Dreas was itching to work on fixing it but his list of tasks are filled to the brim and there are more important matters at hand.

All the things we've mentioned in our developer blogs for the classes can change for game-play reasons. We're posting these blogs to gather an idea of what people like or dislike from our class system.

Facebook     |        Twitter     |        Community Discord

Offline Harris1815

• Master's Mate
  • Sharpe Fan and Historian/Musician/Organist
  • Nick: Harris
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 01:59:39 am »
We're posting these blogs to gather an idea of what people like or dislike from our class system.

But I like the Dev Blogs. and Why you not comment on organs Refleax?
God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best  ~  Voltaire

Offline usnavy30

• Server Administrator
  • Surgeon's Mate
  • So much to see, so much to do
  • Nick: Navy
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 04:53:51 am »
Yes, the bonuses acquired while staying in the vicinity of a musician playing a tune will apply to all firearms. I do agree that the drum animation could use a little tweaking. Dreas was itching to work on fixing it but his list of tasks are filled to the brim and there are more important matters at hand.

All the things we've mentioned in our developer blogs for the classes can change for game-play reasons. We're posting these blogs to gather an idea of what people like or dislike from our class system.
Honestly I am not sure balance-wise how multiple musicians will decrease reload speed compared to just one or two, and how many maximum. But it will be interesting to see and what people overall have to say on that feature.

Offline NiPhix

• Chaplain
  • Owner of NIPEX - Graphics Design.
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: NIPEX
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 07:32:14 am »
We're posting these blogs to gather an idea of what people like or dislike from our class system.

But I like the Dev Blogs. and Why you not comment on organs Refleax?

Refleax and his team are very busy on Early Acces he said a few posts earlier also that they will include more instruments later. Its just a matter of time.

Offline Harris1815

• Master's Mate
  • Sharpe Fan and Historian/Musician/Organist
  • Nick: Harris
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 11:26:35 pm »

Honestly I am not sure balance-wise how multiple musicians will decrease reload speed compared to just one or two, and how many maximum. But it will be interesting to see and what people overall have to say on that feature.

Now I am not to sure if they used to have bands yet for this time Period but I think that is what they are hinting at. Not too sure 20+ bands were much of a thing but idk I haven't gone that in depth. I know it was Finalized in the Victorian era. That is noticeable in the Civil war and in the British mini wars.

God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best  ~  Voltaire

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 02:09:17 pm »
They've had those sort of Bands in the field since the 17th century turning up and playing. They started to decline and not show up in battle in the mid to late 19th century.

Offline Bluehawk

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman's Mate
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 02:11:37 pm »
In 1803, the Crown recognized regimental musicians (excluding drummers and trumpeters whose purpose was the practical playing of signals) but would only permit paying salary for one musician per company plus an NCO as the bandmaster. Almost every regiment exceeded this allotment out of their own treasuries or the personal finances of their officers.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=SkcIAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA175#v=onepage&q&f=false
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:14:28 pm by Bluehawk »

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
    • Steam Profile
  • Nick: James | Michael
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 05:24:05 pm »
In 1803, the Crown recognized regimental musicians (excluding drummers and trumpeters whose purpose was the practical playing of signals) but would only permit paying salary for one musician per company plus an NCO as the bandmaster. Almost every regiment exceeded this allotment out of their own treasuries or the personal finances of their officers.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=SkcIAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA175#v=onepage&q&f=false

Also, Musicians were usually paid a corporals salary.