Anvil Game Studios

Poll

Would you like to see grenades in Holdfast: NaW? They will only be available in limited quantities (You can select a maximum of two options)

Yes, I would like to see grenades in the game - For specific naval and army based classes.
Yes, I would like to see grenades in the game - But only for specific naval based classes.
Yes, I would like to see grenades in the game - But only if they're pickable instead of tied to a specific class.
Yes, I would like to see grenades in the game - But only if they can be toggled on and off by server administrators.
No, I wouldn't like to see grenades in the game.

Author Topic: Grenaders with HG?  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Jägermeister

• Surgeon's Mate
  • HMS Vulture | Hakany
  • Faction: British Empire
Grenaders with HG?
« on: June 21, 2017, 02:52:30 am »
I really wonder if there will be the Grenaders with hand grenades because in M&B NW there wasn't hand grenades at this Units.

Offline Ewoksson

• Petty Officer
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: PussySlayer69
Re: Grenaders with HG?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 10:36:23 pm »
Well, there are hand grenades but they are basically admin weapons in NW.
However, we on the NWRP server has a script allowing grenadiers to actually carry grenades.
It would be cool with hand grenades in Holdfast, assuming it can be balanced.

Offline Youzi

• Able Seaman
  • Faction: French Empire
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 04:07:42 am »
good

Offline Bluehawk

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman's Mate
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 08:02:50 am »
Historically speaking, grenadiers in the Napoleonic era didn't carry hand-grenades and hadn't for several decades.

Offline Mendoza

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 11:09:33 am »
I would think, they cant be balanced in a normal battle in this game. In Napoleon Total War they are useful for breaking the moral, not in first point eliminate, because a single regiment have between 90 and 120 mens in it. If 30 dies, the rest shoot the grenadeers to hell (also because grenadeer have to be closer and early in shooting range). From my view it cant be balanced with an amound of only 200 people on battlefield, if you stay a bit realistic.
You can lower the damage, but in that way we should let it out of the game.

But in Naval battles it could be fun to clear the deck (watch for friendly fire also  ;D), what do you think?

Offline Exodus

• Chaplain
  • Major Jackson - 1st Royal Victoria Regiment
  • Nick: Louis Jackson
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 01:42:41 pm »
Look, good idea mate but personally I'd prefer if HG's weren't added to Holdfast

Offline Jägermeister

• Surgeon's Mate
  • HMS Vulture | Hakany
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 02:06:37 am »
Well first I know the "Holy Hand Grenade" in NW and how could be scriptable but in our NW Event Server we scripted it like it can be exploded in user's hand (in %30 chance) before throwing and if they throw first it spreads a smoke and a unique voice before exploding and there's 3-4 seconds to explode.

Well there should be only few HG per a soldier and ofc the range and accuracy would be less and there should be a preparing time to throw like light the fuse then aim that would take 4-5 secs?

Or they can only be usable in siege maps maybe. Just an idea to make the game interesting

Offline Destraex

• Standing Officer
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 02:55:35 am »
Why give grenadiers grenades in this time frame?
"FORMATION mechanic that allows formation members to respawn back into them."

Offline Jägermeister

• Surgeon's Mate
  • HMS Vulture | Hakany
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 02:22:10 am »
Muh.. For sieges?

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 11:35:05 pm »
If grenades are used for sieges or naval battles, I'd rather they'd just be in a box anyone can use and only be a very limited supply of them so they aren't abused.

Online Sanders

• Master
  • 33rd Rct | "Fire and Blood | "Winter is Coming"
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: 33rd Sanders
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 04:31:04 am »
If grenades are used for sieges or naval battles, I'd rather they'd just be in a box anyone can use and only be a very limited supply of them so they aren't abused.
Sounds like a good idea, but it would be better if said Grenadier unit spawned with 1 Grenade, but only a certain percentage of the server could go Grenadier at any given time. Let's say the server has 200 people and only 20% of the server could go Grenadier. Then you would have 40 people that have 1 Grenade which wouldn't completely break the server.

Offline Mendoza

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 09:23:03 am »
I dont know wich server it was, but on NW there was an Commander Battle Server i joined, and they set the grenadeers up with 1 holy handgranade each men (never saw this before). f*ck that was a slaughter even with 1 of theese grenades on one men... it must be very very limited and even the damage have to be balanced.

the idea of a box were you have to get it while a siege or naval battle would be nice  :D

Offline usnavy30

• Server Administrator
  • Surgeon's Mate
  • So much to see, so much to do
  • Nick: Navy
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 04:06:04 pm »
I dont know wich server it was, but on NW there was an Commander Battle Server i joined, and they set the grenadeers up with 1 holy handgranade each men (never saw this before). f*ck that was a slaughter even with 1 of theese grenades on one men... it must be very very limited and even the damage have to be balanced.

the idea of a box were you have to get it while a siege or naval battle would be nice  :D
What the heck, it was holy hand grenades? Those are admin weapons, hand grenades could be less damage compared to HHGs. However by this time period of early 1800s hand grenades have become a memory, while grenadiers kept their rank and reputation. In the 1600s to early 1700s grenadiers tossing grenades would certainly be existing, but this is a century after that era of the traditional grenadier. Just look at the British Grenadiers song origin and compare that to accounts from the roughly 1809-1813 Napoleonic era.

For additional context there is this answer.

Just to add onto what Bluehawk said, he's the historical buff here.
Historically speaking, grenadiers in the Napoleonic era didn't carry hand-grenades and hadn't for several decades.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:15:46 pm by usnavy30 »

Online Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Surgeon
  • May good health be yours!
    • Holdfast: NaW
  • Nick: Refleax
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 04:47:59 pm »
This conversation might become very handy for us to determine content you guys would like to see from the game in the future.

It would be a good idea to create a poll about this similar to the below:

Would you like to see grenades in Holdfast: NaW? They will only be available in limited quantities (You can select a maximum of two options).
A) Yes, I would like to see grenades in the game - For specific naval and army based classes.
B) Yes, I would like to see grenades in the game - But only for specific naval based classes.
C) Yes, I would like to see grenades in the game - But only if they're pickable instead of tied to a specific class.
C) Yes, I would like to see grenades in the game - But only if they can be toggled on and off by server administrators.
D) No, I wouldn't like to see grenades in the game.

We will also have to limit the use of grenades per class for balancing purposes. We can go into subsequent discussion depending on the results of the poll.

Facebook     |        Twitter     |        Community Discord

Offline Jägermeister

• Surgeon's Mate
  • HMS Vulture | Hakany
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 05:08:50 pm »
Poll created! +