Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Flag Melee Damage  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: 61e Absol
Re: Flag Melee Damage
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2018, 06:51:07 pm »
You will realize that you don't know anything about melee in this game. Speaking from personal experience.

I have over 700 hours in Holdfast, a couple hundred are melee only, but I can barely touch Austro. The regulars on that server are proof that the melee system is 100% skill.

If someone dies to a bayonet or flag in this game, it's because they aren't good at melee.

That being said, I'm for a flag bearer debuff. But melee itself is good, it just need some polishing.

Please check out Refleax's comments documented on this post: http://www.holdfastgame.com/forum/index.php?topic=4016.0

I think to add to that, server desync is an issue. It is a lot more clear in the beta versions of the game right now, making it far more playable to newcomers. And while I agree there is a lot of skill to the current melee, the 100% might be an exaggeration. But all in all it really is playable and just needs polishing.
I agree. Ping and fps play a massive role in melee right now. When compared to Warband's, it's really not good at all.

Offline Heibges

• Landsman
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2018, 09:08:26 pm »
Just as a matter of general principle I don't like the flag as a weapon. I know it's just a game, but a unit's Colors are something to be treasured and protected. Using it as a weapon is akin to dragging it through the mud.

Maybe an Officer and  Flag Bearer in close proximity to each other adds some additional benefit.

Maybe a flag could be dropped, and if you recover or lose your flag to the other faction, this would have some effect.

In my opinion the flag should be really special.

Offline Haybales

• Regiment Leaders
  • Purser
  • Official Server Administrator
    • 1st KRRC
  • Nick: Bailey
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2018, 09:26:02 pm »
Just as a matter of general principle I don't like the flag as a weapon. I know it's just a game, but a unit's Colors are something to be treasured and protected. Using it as a weapon is akin to dragging it through the mud.

Maybe an Officer and  Flag Bearer in close proximity to each other adds some additional benefit.

Maybe a flag could be dropped, and if you recover or lose your flag to the other faction, this would have some effect.

In my opinion the flag should be really special.

Even though I'm not huge on realism, I agree with this POV a lot to be honest.

I really don't understand why the flag bearer has a saber, when the flag is available.

Have it as a buffing auxiliary prop, and keep the saber for melee.

Offline Florian Geyer

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Nick: Florian Geyer
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2018, 03:46:47 am »
Why even give the Flag Bearer a sword, since literally nobody opts to use it instead of the flag.

I think the issue is a lack of variance in the swords which doesn't really allow for more flexibility. I understand the classes are still being worked out and developed, but if swords are going to be implemented on a wider scale then maybe there should be some differences. I don't like the flag being used as a weapon because of what the other fellow said regarding a unit's colors being the most prized possession (it was of course an insanely honorific duty to carry the standard into battle and capturing the enemy standard was the ultimate "you got owned" statement). Actually, in that regard it would be interesting to have some kind of system where you could capture the enemy flag (thus making it a more interesting role because losing your flag in a game would give another Reg serious bragging rights). It would be interesting to see them develop different variations of the sword (heavy sabers, light sabers, etc etc etc) and then perhaps dish them out. Perhaps this is another comment altogether though and entirely off topic.

Short answer: Flag bearer should only be able to use the sword.
King's Royal Army
PFC Florian Geyer
Gordon Highlanders "Bydand"
Section Two
C Platoon