Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Developer Blog 18 - Holdfast: Nations At War released! Development roadmap  (Read 4438 times)

Offline ragulin

• Landsman
Re: Developer Blog 18 - Holdfast: Nations At War released! Development roadmap
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2017, 10:18:35 pm »
Hello,
My ideas which should help the game to be popular. Most of them wont be on the program right now, as long as you have a lot of work with developing other stuff, but they should be in game before the Alpha and Beta ends.

Light RPG system
Your soldier starts like an absolute Greenhorn. After some time in battles, on servers, he gains XP which makes him better in aiming, quicker in reloading, etc. It should help to specialize the clasess and make a lot of more fun to play the game. It has to be balanced so Veteran doesnt OP the newbies, but it should be a king of motivation while you play.

Jamming of weapon
When you are new, why not have the weapon be failured? It would belong on level of your soldier, how many times the weapon fails.

Vote
Map, Votekick, Mapchange, Mod change

More blood on battlefield
It is quiete vanila. Lets the legs and hands drop off the body when you are hit by canon, slashed by slave, etc?

Death animations
Should be fun, having more ways of dying.

Marks in earth
LEts have the soldiers leave marks in the surround to make them trackable

Destructable objects
When the barrack or whatever is hit by several canon shots, it should be destructed

Soldier positions
At ease, Attention...etc, with diferent ways of standing and walking would be nice.

) Groups
I would love to have groups with friends, see them on map and comunicate with them in Team / group chat. Should help to lead regiments, etc.

More corpses
Its Battlefield, I wanna see corpses everywhere.

Its all I had in mind right now, but I think about update or a new reply in this topic in future. I hold all my fingers for u, it is great game.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:56:49 pm by ragulin »

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
  • Faction: British Empire
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2017, 03:48:56 pm »
Can I just say the recent chat and admin stuff added with the most recent update along with increasing the cap to 150 is just fantastic and a big thank you to the developers and greentags for really putting the time in and setting up a solid foundation for the games future?

Keep it up!

Offline Lord_Strange

• Landsman
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2017, 07:51:57 pm »
In response to ragulin, I don't think improved skills tied to leveling up really suit a game like this. Differing reload times between players, for example, would just make things like volley fire in line battles awkward. It would also kind of make the different stats of the classes (such as the light infantry's faster reload speed) useless if a regular line infantryman can achieve faster reload times, etc.

The weapon jamming I like the sound of, although it doesn't make sense for it to be tied to rank. The chance of a misfire should be equal for everyone, however an increased chance of it happening in rain or snow due to wet powder might be interesting (I'm sure both the Empire and Napoleon Total War games had this mechanic).

Online Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Surgeon
  • May good health be yours!
    • Holdfast: NaW
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Refleax
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2017, 07:54:21 pm »
Can I just say the recent chat and admin stuff added with the most recent update along with increasing the cap to 150 is just fantastic and a big thank you to the developers and greentags for really putting the time in and setting up a solid foundation for the games future?

Keep it up!

Our pleasure!

Facebook     |        Twitter     |        Community Discord

Offline Coldstreamer

• Standing Officer
  • Cymbalist and Colonel of the 1stFG
  • Nick: Justin
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2017, 06:46:10 pm »
I'm so excited about how fast the progress is I can't even keep up ha ha.. amazing keep it going great job!!  Looking forward to the customizing! 

also question, for the future any plans for choosing individual regiments like NW and ranks from that?

Offline WaylanderGR

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Vive l'Empereur! Private of the 51st Rgmt of Foot
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: dovahkiin
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2017, 12:40:15 am »
what will be the difference between sappeurs and carpenter? it thought the carpenters would become the builders
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BOLD
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." -Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Olafson

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Master's Mate
  • 85ème Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2017, 11:49:38 am »
Sapeurs will be on land and carpenters on ships. Carpenters can not construct much on land, but they can repair ships, sapeurs obviously can not repair ships.

Facebook     |        Twitter

Offline Bluehawk

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman's Mate
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2017, 10:21:56 pm »
Can they dig saps on board?

Offline Olafson

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2017, 04:52:12 pm »
If you fill it with earth, I guess why not...

Offline Wigster600

• Standing Officer
  • Propagator of Yorkshire Fascism
  • Nick: John Cooper
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2017, 05:04:47 pm »
Regarding the bayonets affecting accuracy whilst fixed; how dramatic is the difference in accuracy? And have you considered having a slowed down reload instead of an accuracy debuff?
"It's all shits and giggles, until somebody giggles and shits." - Anon
"It's not personal, it's general. Therefore it includes you." - Al Murray

Offline Lecourbe

• Master's Mate
  • Par le fer quand le feu manque !
    • 61e Régiment
  • Nick: [61e] Lecourbe
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2017, 01:15:19 pm »
And have you considered having a slowed down reload instead of an accuracy debuff?

In fact, it would be more "historical accurate"  #Everybody say this sentence on the forums...

But I guess it would be too hard to make the reloading time different, changing the shooting mechanics, etc... even if I think it could be more interesting for the general gameplay.

Offline Bluehawk

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman's Mate
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2017, 12:30:03 am »
But when you "cast about", you turn the musket so that the bayonet is off-set to your left and the rammer tubes are facing you. In that position, the bayonet doesn't really effect your ability to ram damn the charge. It shouldn't slow down reloading, as far as "historical accuracy" is concerned.

Offline Lecourbe

• Master's Mate
  • Par le fer quand le feu manque !
    • 61e Régiment
  • Nick: [61e] Lecourbe
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2017, 07:33:01 am »
But when you "cast about", you turn the musket so that the bayonet is off-set to your left and the rammer tubes are facing you. In that position, the bayonet doesn't really effect your ability to ram damn the charge. It shouldn't slow down reloading, as far as "historical accuracy" is concerned.

I think it doesn't make any real difference. The only thing I'm sure is that in reenactment I reload a little bit faster without my bayonet. (Like 1 sec faster if I do it properly, but not really effective aha)

Anyway, every line soldiers at this time has his bayonet fixed 90% time in battle so...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:56:47 pm by Lecourbe »

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
    • Steam Profile
  • Nick: James | Michael
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2017, 04:50:32 pm »

I think it doesn't make any real difference. The only thing I'm sure is that in reenactment I reload a little bit faster without my bayonet. (Like 1 sec faster if I do it properly, but not really effective aha)

Anyway, every line soldiers at this time has his bayonet fixed 90% time in battle so...

From my experiance speed loading a musket, I would say there is a minor difference. Particularly because you dont want to slice your hand when you are rapidly ramming with the bayonet on.

Belive it or not you have a much higher chance of slicing your finger when your opening and closing the frizen. Or known as the hammer up until 1813 in the americas anyway.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 04:53:18 pm by Brock »

Offline Olafson

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2017, 04:55:51 pm »
If you manage to somehow touch the bayonet with your hand while loading your are doing something wrong. It should be technically impossible to do so. You are way more likely to cut your finger open by accidentally getting to close to the flint than by getting to close to the tip of the bayonet and somehow managing to ram your hand into it.