Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Not this old chestnut...  (Read 194 times)

Offline Griffin

• Able Seaman
  • Faction: French Empire
Not this old chestnut...
« on: October 09, 2017, 01:33:07 am »
Here we go again.

Once again, we are seeing the powermongers of the community squabble and make grabs for authority and admin-privilege. It seems that some people in the community seek power for powers sake.

I can't understand understand the appeal or wish to host line battles through so many different communities. To my knowledge , we've got 3 running now.

-MOV
-Bayonet Gaming
-Eagle Gaming

Aside from MOV who runs international LBs on different times , which is all fine n dandy, the normal Australian battles take place at exactly the same time, with exactly the same rules and settings.

Now aside from stroking the egos of those in charge, all this serves to do is split the community up. Which means smaller battles, ultimately being less fun for everyone involved.

We all agree that bigger = better when it comes to line battles, so let's start working together instead of against eachother.

I do recall quite clearly after 2-3 years of the MOV-BG feud, I bought both parties to the table with a long forum rant , similar to this one, pointing out the absolute futility and pointlessness of splitting a community, as opposed to the endless possibilities of unifying it instead. Almost the entirety of the community agreed. We've seen the same again at the start of Holdfast - when these forums went up. There was a unified statement going out saying , 'No more drama.', coming from everyone, with the exception of a handful of known troublemakers.

The game is still Alpha so it's important to acknowledge that and understand there will be problems beyond the control of admins. If we all show a bit of patience and work together, instead of against eachother, everyone will have a much better time in game.

Lest We Forget NW drama!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:14:15 am by Griffin »

Offline Lobelas

• Ordinary Seaman
  • 95thRoF - First on the field, last off it
  • Faction: British Empire
Re: Not this old chestnut...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:37:00 am »
Whilst I agree with your sentiment, I disagree on the assessment you have made, there are now three hosts, and three battles yes at the same time, but on different days. There is also a substantial difference in rules between BG and MOV, assigning artillery to a regiment or not assigning it at all and using light inf as a skirm class vs using it as a line inf class with better stats to name a couple of the bigger differences. I don't know much about this eagle gaming group and I haven't attended any of their battles yet so I can't comment. Speaking for the Nr1 (95thRoF + Pav), we like having that Sunday NW event (although we hate the auto admin with a burning passion, come on, 50 players and you need a bot to admin is pathetic) because there simply isn't enough on offer in holdfast at this stage in its development to maintain interest from our members in the game for the entire weekend. Frankly a lot of us are a bit bored of it already (attendance for the 95th has been dropping off the last couple of weeks probably by about a third overall) which is perhaps a discussion for another thread.

But getting back on topic I don't really see issues here, we have 3 events at different times that pretty much everyone attends (With the exception of Sunday for the aforementioned reasons).

95th Recruting -
 Steam group:http://steamcommunity.com/groups/95thRoF

Offline Griffin

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 03:28:43 pm »
I guess the main point I'm trying to make is it's only going to break apart the community if we have different groups vying for player bases and running LBs during the same time and day as eachother

Offline Heavy Bob

• Petty Officer
  • GGS.SX
    • GGS.SX
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:19:23 pm »
Heres something you said two years ago.
Communities are just an inflated idea of what regiments are. It comes down to one very simple, basic principle; and it is why although in an ideal world we'd all be in one community and organise our events; but we don't live in an ideal world; because;

1. Not happy with the current leadership, and think they can do better.

It's why regiments split and fragment into smaller regiments. It's why communities keep popping up. It's why our community is such a rort mess.

Cause Egos.
Original Thread - Reference https://ggs.sx/thread/?id=572&pg=1.
Original Post - https://ggs.sx/reply/?id=1991

I can't understand the appeal or wish to host line battles through so many different communities. - Griffin (OP)

Your statement complaining about you're lack of understanding to why the same people are creating communities to take power is hypocritical to your previous thesis.

Given already the mutual cooperation in the chaos of having separate hosts and the failure of centralized communities being the breeding grounds for dictators since mount and musket, this argument that we need to unite under a single banner is fallacious given that every event hosted by the chaos that I've seen has had reasonable.

Holdfast needs to change to be better for the players. Fixing the melee, server / client optimisations, cav, artillery and more overall polish.  Maybe even you're twisted ideology also needs to change to stop peddling nonsense that you've outright dismissed before.

...many people out there, either intentionally or unintentionally, have contributed toward bringing constant drama and destructive feuding between regiments and sub-communities. - Griffin
You're apart of the problem by calling out MOV, Bayonet Gaming and Eagle Gaming for being purely run for the betterment of some egotrip when they're clearly doing more to mend the divide than you are with this self-righteous post.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:47:18 am by Heavy Bob »

Offline Griffin

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 12:48:21 am »
Heavy bob don't make this a personal matter. Your claims about "ego trips" and "self righteousness" are founded on what? A criticism?  A desire to make the community better?

Just because my opinion is different to yours, do not be so presumptuous to automatically think you are right and I am wrong. Or you'll risk being the one coming off as self righteous, narcissistic and foolish.

You are, Ofcourse entitled to disagree with me. Just be mindful of how you come across pal.

Offline Heavy Bob

• Petty Officer
  • GGS.SX
    • GGS.SX
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 02:49:15 am »
Your claims about "ego trips" and "self righteousness" are founded on what? A criticism?  A desire to make the community better?

Recounting as the witness; "powermongers" are taking over holdfast. "here we go again", really smug of you. 
We need to hold hands and work together. Next it will be "lets make a single community, a better community".

I do recall quite clearly after 2-3 years of the MOV-BG feud, I bought both parties to the table with a long forum rant , similar to this one, pointing out the absolute futility and pointlessness of splitting a community, as opposed to the endless possibilities of unifying it instead.

For 5 mins.

...do not be so presumptuous to automatically think you are right and I am wrong. Or you'll risk being the one coming off as self righteous, narcissistic and foolish. ...

You are, Ofcourse entitled to disagree with me. Just be mindful of how you come across pal.

I'm echoing Lobelas's point, it hasn't boiled over yet. Regiments aren't boycotting or being outright banned anymore. You're just overhyping a fabricated drama to highlight yourself in the next story about how you saved all of gaming with a single forum post.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:51:35 am by Heavy Bob »

Offline Griffin

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 03:00:10 am »
Lol. The fact you need to embolden your posts with oversized font and bold tells me a lot about how insecure you feel about yourself.

But I'll stop there. I don't want to get hacked or ddos'ed from a known criminal.  ::)

Offline Heavy Bob

• Petty Officer
  • GGS.SX
    • GGS.SX
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 03:05:03 am »
Lol. The fact you need to embolden your posts with oversized font and bold tells me a lot about how insecure you feel about yourself.

But I'll stop there. I don't want to get hacked or ddos'ed from a known criminal::)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:06:39 am by Heavy Bob »

Offline Griffin

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 04:12:29 am »
Alright mate give it a rest now. The rest of the forum doesn't need or want to be seeing this shit.

Offline Truth

• Board Moderator
  • Surgeon
  • A true champion will fight through anything!
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 07:09:35 am »
Thread has been locked you guys need to sort this out, do not bring this on the forums!

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:40:15 am by Truth »

Offline Jackson

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 01:02:31 pm »
I need to stress the importance of dealing with personal disagreements in private. Don't air your dirty laundry here.
-Freelance character designer for Holdfast: Nations At War.

Offline Exodus

• Regiment Leaders
  • Chaplain
  • Major Jackson - 1st Royal Victoria Regiment
  • Nick: Louis Jackson
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 05:29:45 am »
Whilst I agree with your sentiment, I disagree on the assessment you have made, there are now three hosts, and three battles yes at the same time, but on different days. There is also a substantial difference in rules between BG and MOV, assigning artillery to a regiment or not assigning it at all and using light inf as a skirm class vs using it as a line inf class with better stats to name a couple of the bigger differences. I don't know much about this eagle gaming group and I haven't attended any of their battles yet so I can't comment. Speaking for the Nr1 (95thRoF + Pav), we like having that Sunday NW event (although we hate the auto admin with a burning passion, come on, 50 players and you need a bot to admin is pathetic) because there simply isn't enough on offer in holdfast at this stage in its development to maintain interest from our members in the game for the entire weekend. Frankly a lot of us are a bit bored of it already (attendance for the 95th has been dropping off the last couple of weeks probably by about a third overall) which is perhaps a discussion for another thread.

But getting back on topic I don't really see issues here, we have 3 events at different times that pretty much everyone attends (With the exception of Sunday for the aforementioned reasons).

We the 1stRVR have also experienced the attendance drop, people had fun and are now getting bored of the game, it's really unfortunate hence why we've had to expand into other games to ensure we stay afloat. Our EU lads had to merge with our NA boys as their numbers were depleted, our ANZAC players may have to do the same as really it's getting pretty dead in OC.

None of this reflects on AGS, they've done a beautiful job. It's simply keeping the player base interested appears to be the issue for OC at least

Offline Heavy Bob

• Petty Officer
  • GGS.SX
    • GGS.SX
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 10:32:49 pm »
Its not the communities fighting which is killing holdfast, its the game itself.

The only way holdfast is going to retain players is if it makes it more worthwhile for players to continue play it.

Spoiler
[close]

Someone also dun goofed and unlocked this thread so uhhh, lets keep this conversation going :D.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:41:22 pm by Heavy Bob »

Offline Truth

• Board Moderator
  • Surgeon
  • A true champion will fight through anything!
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 01:26:58 am »
You can post on the thread again, just not sit here and bag everyone out, and fight with each other.

Offline Son of Apollo

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Nick: Apollo
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 04:09:14 am »
Discussing the state of the game is a more worthwhile waste of time than a discussion on the state of the community.

Holdfast looks and sounds better than NW. But it's got a ways to go in terms of actual game play and administration, which is to be expected as it's only in Early Access. In a few weeks/months time we might be ready for the forum post that will once and forever unify the community... But only after the game comes good*

Spoiler
[close]