Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Fatigue  (Read 324 times)

Offline Xanderman

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Alexander
Fatigue
« on: June 08, 2017, 08:47:40 am »
Line battles in NW didn't really represent real Napoleonic warfare. Would it be possible to have a toggleable fatigue feature for servers. I was thinking that if troops ran everywhere, they would become tired: become slower in melee and less accurate when shooting. This would force commanders to walk in line formation (hopefully in double/ triple rank) in an effort to maintain combat effectiveness. What do people think?
Dreamin' about memein'

Online Mendoza

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Faction: Neutral
Re: Fatigue
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 09:46:50 am »
I would love that!

In the past there were some "more accurate" Line Battles in NW were lines only was allowed to walk in double lines. They was not a long time alife as i remember...
But a system wich would force you to move more in formations also with other lines together would be a nice thing in here. For the actual NW players wich only like to "move in, shoot once and charge the hell out of them", it would be nice to make it an option wich the server can activate or deactivate, to make it more dynamic (as you said).

Whats about an stamina bar wich goes down every time you beat in melee, run arround or you hold to aim (after 5 minutes to aim everybodys arm would fall off). Stamina would regenerate slow, and faster near an officer or dummer / piper.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 09:49:59 am by Mendoza »

Offline aStonedPierre

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Lua & Media Freelancer
    • 59th.eu
  • Nick: 59th Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 09:50:01 am »
I really like this idea, it might be a good option to implement into the "Hardcore" gamemode suggested in this thread. I really like the thought of having to move out by walking in double or triple columns to preserve stamina or whatever it would be. Would be a nice feature to have on roleplay servers or reenactment events.

I also like the idea presented above my post, with having a stamina bar that slowly goes down over time if you're running / presenting. And then having it regenerate when walking or just standing still. Officer / Musician bonuses would make sense as it'd boost morale thus making the men want to hold on a little longer when running or whatever. Nice suggestion!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 09:52:59 am by aStonedPierre »

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 10:46:10 pm »
A light gameplay element that should effected by some sort of fatigue should be considered. Both for the soldiers and the horses they use.

Online Exodus

• Chaplain
  • Major Jackson - 1st Royal Victoria Regiment
  • Nick: Louis Jackson
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 11:33:20 pm »
+1

Offline Xanderman

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Nick: Alexander
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 05:15:42 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys  :) . A stamina bar that depletes as you run/shoot/fight and regenerates as you march or when you're standing next to an officer/musician, is exactly what I was thinking. I also thought about if your stamina bar drops too low, the screen goes grey and your soldier becomes sluggish and inaccurate when firing.
Dreamin' about memein'

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 09:27:32 pm »
I'd rather not have screen tinting to indicate this, either a slight blur or some more subtle indication.

Online Exodus

• Chaplain
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 02:54:54 am »
I'd rather not have screen tinting to indicate this, either a slight blur or some more subtle indication.
Yeah nah, I'd rather a little flashing box in the corner saying "Hey! You're fatigued." Otherwise we get a War of Rights blur type of shit and it's hard to play and look at your screen, makes it unenjoyable

Offline cheeseontoast51

• Landsman
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 07:48:08 pm »
Line battles in NW didn't really represent real Napoleonic warfare. Would it be possible to have a toggleable fatigue feature for servers. I was thinking that if troops ran everywhere, they would become tired: become slower in melee and less accurate when shooting. This would force commanders to walk in line formation (hopefully in double/ triple rank) in an effort to maintain combat effectiveness. What do people think?

I think this is a good idea, maybe light infantry could have more "stamina" and regen it faster.
Dum Spiro, Spero.

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
    • Steam Profile
  • Nick: James | Michael
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 04:43:03 am »
Just make a morale bar revolve around a stamina bar, each in turn affecting each other, with each having there own pros & cons.

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
    • Steam Profile
  • Nick: James | Michael
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 05:02:00 am »
Btw I have a great suggestion when it comes to this thread, excellent time to bring in classes and what they bring into the game.

So you have militia, your cheap resource on the battlefield with low morale and since not well trained lower stamina then lets say lights.

Your Regulars. Your average most common unit. Balanced unit. Good Morale, slightly lower speed then militia due to extra equipment.

Your Lights. A very fast agile unit. Morale similar to Regulars (depending on situation i.e cav) perhaps a little less. good balanced battlefield with Regulars. Well trained for more forested area. Excellent at assaulting Regulars in wooded areas.

Your Rifles. (Counter balance for France needed) Very well trained. Elite Lights. Good assaulting NCO's and CO's in range. Causing mayhem at range. Good movement, in between regulars and lights. Good morale (better then lights). A rare unit on the battlefield. Rather expensive.

Your FootGuards. The best of the best. Expensive. heavily equipped unit for any situation. lightly slower then regulars. Best accuracy and reload speed (relative musket range). Also rare seen on the battlefield. Excellent morale only breaks with very low numbers. ready at any weather and time.

Some aspects would not work for obvious reasons in a multiplayer game this is being developed for. Although Im sure many aspects for each unit can respectively be used in some way. Like Bot recruitment cost for resources on huge battles being lead by players only. Again, im sure some of the info given could be used for the multiplayer focused gameplay AGS is currently focusing on. 

Since a player held game will never 'break' due to morale. You could make severe penalties when a morale meter gets low. Panicked character, melee combat lost [Major], Shooting accuracy lost [Severe]. needs to retreat, music, officer 'rally' order to get morale boost. to be able to be in combat again in an effective level.

Depending on unit. Miltia, Regular, Guard you would have the stats at different levels. So a guard line would varied stats then with Militia stats. Guard line gives morale boost to militia and Rgls when around(more effective boost to militia then Rgl). Poor leadership from officer and mistakes. ( getting shot from the rear ) can severely impact moral, even reaching a critical point meaning everything is effected in a very Major way. Guards & Rgl Have higher tolerance of course. more to come.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 05:17:07 am by Brock »

Online Exodus

• Chaplain
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 10:08:20 am »
I would also definitely like a stamina bar to enforce more of a realistic approach to the game!

Offline Norwegian

• Master's Mate
  • За Государя!
  • Nick: [Pgp] Norwegian
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 11:43:30 am »
As long as it's toggleable, I'm all for it.

Offline SwydeBarca

• Standing Officer
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 01:47:30 am »
I would also love a stamina bar. Makes the hardcore mode much more realistic and adds a whole new purpose to light infantry and cavalry. You wouldn't want to be skirmishing or scouting in a cuirassier's amour or carrying a big foot guard's musket, would you? ;)

One thing that wasn't mentioned yet are horses. I know cavalry will be implemented after EA, but horses too should have a stamina bar too. It's pretty much for the same reason as infantry, but I felt the need to mention it.