Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: :Ottoman Empire & Units:  (Read 256 times)

Offline Jägermeister

• Petty Officer
  • HMS Vulture | Hakany
  • Faction: British Empire
:Ottoman Empire & Units:
« on: July 22, 2017, 03:47:11 pm »

Ottoman Empire | Osmanlı İmparatorluğu

Ottoman Empire was one of the major nations in the Napoleonic Era who was ruled by Selim III. Ottoman Empire did not joined the Napoleonic Battles directly; but when Napoleon Bonaparte invaded Egypt, Ottoman Empire joined the Napoleonic Battles with Mamluks -which is protected by Ottoman Empire- against French Empire. Napoleon succesfully invaded Egypt, then Mehmed Ali of Kavala (The Ottoman Military Governor) captured back. Between of 1806-1812, Ottoman Empire fought with Russian Empire. They fought in Balcans (Wallachia, Moldavia, Transylvania) and Eastern Anatolia. Ottoman Empire also fought with Austrian Empire in Northern Balcans. Ottoman Empire had few Emergent Nations in that time like Barbary States (Ottoman Empire ⚔ United States) and Crimean Khanate (Ottoman Empire ⚔ Russian Empire) which are not official nations.

In that era; Ottoman Army had been regenerated with new uniforms, weapons and military ranks which called by "Nizam-ı Cedit (New Order)" as latest European fashion. Before of the Nizam-ı Cedit movement; Ottoman Army had seperated many classes but with that movement most of the military classes had been associated in one. Ottoman Empire was one of the major nation who have irregular troops in the army which there's only few nations have in Europe. Ottoman Army was less powerful than it's history but one of the advantage of Ottoman Army was the heat tolerance. This is how Mehmed Ali of Kavala captured back Egypt from Napoleon. Ottoman Navy was not powerful in that Era. They usually sailed 80-Gun-Ship but most of the privateers helped Ottoman Empire for their battles because they had a treatment with Sultan to not disallow their actions whereas they will raid their enemies' ships.

Ottoman Land Army

Irregular Troops

Libyan Bedouins: " Libyan Bedouin (Libyalı Bedeviler)" were the irregular troops in the Medmed Ali of Kavala's army. They used as milita troops in the army for harrashing enemy regiments in hot, desert weather. Harrashed and tired enemy regiments would not able to retreat in cavalry charges. In that point, Libyan Bedouins were very important for Ottoman Army in Egypt.

Tatars: "Tatars (Tatarlar)" were the rebels in Crimean Peninsula which supported by Ottoman Empire against Russian Empire. Tatars are the natives of Crimean Peninsula that first used in Ottoman Army then in Russian Army when Russian Empire captured there. Tatars are Muslims; that's why it was easier to imbue them against Orthodox Russian Empire. Also there was historic conflict between of Tatars and Russians.

Circassians: "Circassians (Çerkesler)" were the rebels in Caucassia which supported by Ottoman Empire against Russian Empire. Circassians are the natives of Circassian Territory of Caucassia that first used in Ottoman Army then in Russian Army when Russian Empire captured there. Circassians are Muslims; that's why it was easier to imbue them against Orthodox Russian Empire. Also there was historic conflict between of Circassians and Russians.

Palestinian Auxiliaries: "Palestinian Auxiliaries (Filistinli Destek Piyadeleri)" were the irregular troops in the Jazzar Ahmed Pasha's army. They equiped lightly to harrash the enemy quickly in hot weather. When Napoleon besieged Acra; they harrashed Napoleon's Guards in three flanks and they forced them to retreat. They're the natives of Palestinian Territory; this is why Ottoman Empire had so many of this auxiliary regiments in the Ottoman Army.

Melee Infantry Troops

Bashi-Bazouks: "Bashi-Bazouks (Başıbozuklar)" were the irregular troops that their weapons given by the government for the battles. Ottoman Empire was adopting children from other nations like Balcan States, Armenia, Georgia, Greece etc. and train them from childhood for serving to the army. Bashi-Bazouks also adopted soldiers from that countries and most of them used in Land Army as infantry and cavalry. They were using melee weapons no matter mounted or not. Mounted Bashi-Bazouks called by "Deli Horsemen (Deli Atlıları)" which were irregular too.

Swordsmen: "Swordsmen (Silahşörler)" were the main melee infantry troops in Ottoman Army. They were mostly used as offensive formations in battles. They were using a kind of heavy sabre called "Yatagan (Yatağan)". They also used for suppressing rebellions in Anatolia but while the "Kabakci Mustafa Rebellion (Kabakçı Mustafa İsyanı)" which thrashed Selim III, they joined in rebels' side to guard rebels charging against "Palace Guards".

Line Infantry Troops

Beylik Musketeers: "Beylik Musketeers (Beylik Tüfenkçileri)" were the supporter infantry troops in the land battles. They usually used as patrol units in towns, guard units of governors and used for castle holders until the main army arrives. They were using sabers with muskets because their muskets were old and not good but however they were good shooters. Their uniforms described that they were an old-culture-infantry about that the old Ottoman Flag colored with Green and White.

Palace Guards: "Palace Guards (Saray Muhafızları)" used as Sultan's Own Infantry Regiment. They were elite units of Ottoman Army. Their mission was guarding the palace and Sultan. There was also Sultan's Own Cavalry Regiment called by "Solaklar" that kind of cuirassiers or overguards.

Nizam-ı Cedid Line Infantries: "Nizam-ı Cedid Line Infantries (Nizam-ı Cedid Hat Piyadeleri)" were the main line infantries of Ottoman Army. They had muskets with bayonets. They were good at aiming and close combat. Their uniforms were designed as latest European fashion combined with Ottoman Culture. They mostly used in Eastern Europe and Anatolia.

Light Infantries, Cavalries, Grenadiers Artillery, Marches and Generals will be added in next update.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:31:01 pm by Jägermeister »

Offline SwydeBarca

• Petty Officer
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
Re: :Ottoman Empire & Units:
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 05:41:13 pm »
I know that's a pretty dumb question, but where there still Janissaries in that time period?

Also, nice copy and paste from Total War :P

Offline Jägermeister

• Petty Officer
  • HMS Vulture | Hakany
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 07:02:39 pm »
Well, next time I'll use my high school history book that 5 yeared old for pics. (?)

Send me the link of the topic if I copy-pasted somewhere then I will delete whole topic but if you can not do that please save your dumb questions for yourself :)
Spoiler
[close]

There were still Janissaries in that period of time but not in the New Army (Nizam-ı Cedid), just in far territories as a castle holder they used like in Libya, Palestine, Egypt and there was few of their regiments in Anatolia for staying against Russian Empire however there's no mention about that; I don't know where you see or think then you told me about it. (Btw: Janissaries disbanded in 1826 by Mahmud II: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auspicious_Incident)

In Napoleon Total War; there is lots of unit names about Ottoman Army but actually there was no names like that and I mentioned about their original names. (FE: Cemaat Janissaries Silahşörler / Swordsmen)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:11:57 pm by Jägermeister »

Online Jackson

• Global Moderator
  • Master's Mate
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 10:20:59 pm »
There was no Nizam-ı Cedid around the time Holdfast is set, for the record. All of the modernisation was undone when the Janissaries overthrew Selim III.
-The artist formerly known as Docm30
-Freelance character designer for Holdfast: Nations At War.

MY OPINIONS DO NOT REFLECT THOSE OF THE DEVELOPERS, AT LEAST IN REGARDS TO INFORMATION ABOUT THE GAME!

Offline SwydeBarca

• Petty Officer
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 10:27:46 pm »
Well, next time I'll use my high school history book that 5 yeared old for pics. (?)

Send me the link of the topic if I copy-pasted somewhere then I will delete whole topic but if you can not do that please save your dumb questions for yourself :)

There were still Janissaries in that period of time but not in the New Army (Nizam-ı Cedid), just in far territories as a castle holder they used like in Libya, Palestine, Egypt and there was few of their regiments in Anatolia for staying against Russian Empire however there's no mention about that; I don't know where you see or think then you told me about it. (Btw: Janissaries disbanded in 1826 by Mahmud II: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auspicious_Incident))

I'm not accusing of plagiarism or anything, I just recognized the Total War icons, no need to get salty.

And thanks for the info, I knew the Janissaries become corrupted and were disbanded, but I didn't know when and how.

Offline Jägermeister

• Petty Officer
  • HMS Vulture | Hakany
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 11:15:42 pm »
There was no Nizam-ı Cedid around the time Holdfast is set, for the record. All of the modernisation was undone when the Janissaries overthrew Selim III.
So is there any link that mentioned about the set time? It will helpful for suggestions. Maybe the time might be in Sekban-ı Cedid army.

Online Bluehawk

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman's Mate
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 01:20:43 am »
Replace the Levantine auxiliaries with Albanians, Thracians, Macedonians and Bulgarians (not to mention temporary levies of actual Turks), and you'd have an army more suitable for the Danubian campaigns. The Albanians in particular were a dependable and formidable corps, equal to if not exceeding the janissaries.

Online Sir Kydric

• Petty Officer
  • "I order you not to die!" - Sir Kydric 2k17
  • Nick: Sir Kydric
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 02:29:35 pm »
Compared to so many nations out there, the Ottoman Empire, didn't play such a massive role really. And I think the devs would rather do Austria, Prussia, Russia, Maybe Spain, Portugal, Some Rheinbund Nation, Maybe Sweden. They'd rather focus on those main players in the Napoleonic Wars, which frankly by the period they want to represent, yeah I think the chance is minimal of this being a thing, and I doubt that many people really want it, putting aside it might contribute to some toxicness in a part of the community, which I'd rather not see. That's my personal opinion though and you dont have to accept it, or deny it.

Online Jackson

• Global Moderator
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 01:36:26 am »
I have no say in the matter, but for what it's worth I think the Ottomans should be added. I'd love to make the uniforms and I think it'd be a welcome change.

MY OPINIONS DO NOT REFLECT THOSE OF THE DEVELOPERS, AT LEAST IN REGARDS TO INFORMATION ABOUT THE GAME!

Offline Jägermeister

• Petty Officer
  • HMS Vulture | Hakany
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 03:43:50 am »
Well you say so many European nations but Ottoman Empire is totally different from them. That's why there may be difference in the game otherwise all have musketeers with almost same uniforms and marches. Different cultures make different gameplays than the others.

By the way please read the text before typing a comment:

Spoiler
[close]

I know what was the role of Ottoman Empire during that era and I mentioned it already bro:

In Nizam-ı Cedid -army- there's no albanians, bulgarians, mackedons, romanians, serbs etc. All of them associated in one (as Balcan Levies)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:51:35 am by Jägermeister »

Offline Exodus

• Midshipman's Mate
  • Major. Exodus, Leader of the 1stRVR
  • Nick: Louis Jackson
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 08:04:49 am »
Dude every time you get critism even in a nice way, you always get defensive. Just don't mate, by posting on the forums you are asking for people to give their opinions.

Offline Jägermeister

• Petty Officer
  • HMS Vulture | Hakany
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 11:55:46 am »
Well that means people are posting comments every time before reading the text or desrcribtion.

I've been in so many debates in high school and university; you have to tell a valid reason if you're against something there. Here I specify about gameplay effects of cultural difference. I'm not defending anything however that won't effect on creators. I'm just explaining my idea to people who doesn't read or understand clearly what I mean.

Also the topic was not about "if there should be the Ottoman faction or not?". I just specified the units in history if there may be. Because there is less information about The Ottoman Empire on the internet and I've learned in my history lessons before.

Don't worry; I respect every comment in my topics. Thanks ;)

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:58:42 am by Jägermeister »

Online Jackson

• Global Moderator
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 12:37:40 pm »
I've seen that quote a hundred different times with a hundred different things in place of "Turkish". I don't honestly think he said it about anyone.

Offline Jägermeister

• Petty Officer
  • HMS Vulture | Hakany
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 01:15:37 pm »
Muh. That was just a scene that could be googled.

If there may be the Ottoman faction; I really wonder the voices and who'll vocalize that  ::)

Online cyberlegend

• Petty Officer
  • i do commissions msg me for my paypal
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 02:25:27 pm »
ottoman empire? more like ottNOman empire hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhaahhahahahahahahaha