Anvil Game Studios

Poll

Yes or no?

Yes, I would love to see Portugal and Spain added to this game for a more Peninsular look and to have more unique factions.
30 (65.2%)
No, give us Russia and the other main factions.
16 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: New faction - Kingdom of Portugal  (Read 518 times)

Online NiPhix

• Midshipman's Mate
  • 'Sup.
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: R18 NiPhix
New faction - Kingdom of Portugal
« on: July 27, 2017, 07:18:11 pm »

Kingdom of Portugal - Reino de Portugal

Overview

The history of the kingdom of Portugal and the Algarves, from the First Treaty of San Ildefonso and the beginning of the reign of Queen Maria I in 1777, to the end of the Liberal Wars in 1834, spans a complex historical period in which several important political and military events led to the end of the absolutist regime and to the installation of a constitutional monarchy in the country.

In 1807, Napoleon ordered the invasion of Portugal and subsequently the royal family and its entire court migrated to Brazil, Maria I declaring the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves in 1816. This would be one of the causes for the declaration of Brazilian independence by Pedro I of Brazil in 1822, following a liberal revolution in Portugal.

The liberal period was stormy and short as Prince Michael of Portugal (Pedro's brother) supported an absolutist revolution endeavoring to restore all power to the monarchy. Pedro eventually returned to Portugal and fought and defeated his brother in the Liberal Wars in which liberalism prevailed and Portugal became a constitutional monarchy.

About the Peninsular War

Warning a lots of text inside, - Source Wikipedia
[close]

The Napoleonic Wars faction Portugal was not used in the NW DLC or any other mod as far as I know of only one not updated mod by Viriathus I believe. It would be fun to have this faction in the game together with the other suggested faction Spain as the Holdfast game really gives a peninsular war feeling.

Here are some Troops of the Portuguese army.

Portuguese Caçadores
[close]
Portuguese; 21st Infantry Regt, Drummer 1806-98. 24th Infantry Regiment, Captain, 6th Infantry Regiment, Grenadier, 1806-08
[close]
Corporal light coy , 9th infantry regt, 1810-15, Drum-maj, 2nd infantry regt, 1810-15, Sub-Lieutenant, 11th infantry regt, 1810-15
[close]
My favorite Portuguese infantry units the 8th Line Infantry regiment
[close]
11th Regiment, Portuguese Cavalry
[close]
Portuguese Artillery
[close]

Sincerely  I think Portugal didn't play the same rol as Spain or the Brittish and I consider it as Minor nation at this time, for this I don't think Portugal should be added in the game firstly.

I think the nations in the game must be France, United Kingdom, Austria, Russia, Prussia and Spain. Maybe some portuguese troops in the british faction.
DISCLAIMER: Im a Portuguese, so of course I would like to see Portugal in the game. I have studied the Portuguese role during the Peninsular War for 4 years now.
I agree with you that Portugal and Spain should be added in a later stage of the game. But if Spain is in the game it would be stupid to not have Portugal in it too.

So what did Portugal do during the Peninsular War and Napoleonic Wars??
  • 1807 - Napoleon is making the Continental Blockade on Britain, all European countries joined the Blockade. Only one didn't, and went against Napoleon. Guess who.... Portugal.
  • November 1807 - The Peninsular War started by Spain giving free access to the French army, so Spain and France could invade Portugal together. (some say the war started in 1808 when Napoleon invaded Spain, but it started when he invaded Portugal in 1807, because Portugal is in the Peninsula... so its the Peninsular War).
  • January-February 1808 - The Portuguese Army was disbanded and made into the French Portuguese Legion, which followed Napoleon to Russia, and was given the nickname "The Black Legion" by Napoleon himself, because of how hard they fought. From the around 50 000-60 000 strong army, only half or less actually joined the Legion. The months after there were demonstrations and fights in various Portuguese cities against the French.
  • 2 May 1808 - the 2 de Mayo revolt happened in Madrid, Spain which revolting spirit also reached Portugal in June.
  • June-July 1808 - The Spanish army in northern and southern Portugal went back to Spain to fight the French, this allowed revolts in north and southern Portugal to happen and a reorganisation of the Army. In late July France only had control of the territory close to the Tagus river.
  • Early August 1808 - Wellington disembarked with an army of around 12 000 soldiers in Portugal, because it was the SAFEST place in the Peninsula to start an invasion. Later he united forces with the Portuguese Northern Army, which made the Anglo-Portuguese Army around 20 000 soldiers strong.(I will call Arthur Wellesley, Wellington even though he wasnt Duke yet, for simplicity sake)
  • Late August 1808 - The Anglo-Portuguese Army fought two battles against the French. On 30th August 1808, the British and French made a peace treaty.
  • March 1809 - France invaded Portugal for the second time from the north. Realising they couldnt win alone the Portuguese retreated to the south,
     letting the French take the cities north of the Douro River.
  • July 1809 - The Anglo-Portuguese army made the French retreat back to Galicia. After this Wellington focused on getting the Franch out of the Spanish province of Andalucia.
  • September 1809 - The Lines of Torres Vedras were started. They were 3 lines of defences on the mounatins north of Lisbon
  • December 1809 - General Massena is given 65 000 soldiers to invade Portugal for a third time. Wellington retreated back to Portugal, because if Portugal fell, the Peninsular War would be ended with a French victory.
  • July 1810 - The French invade Portugal a third time.
  • Ocotber 1810 - The Anglo Portuguese Army retreats to the finished Lines of Torres Vedras. The French try to fight thorugh it, but fail. So they make camp outside of it. Due to not having enough supplies they retreat in April 1811 back to Spain.
I could go on doing this list...

Spain did also have a major role in the Peninsular War and the Napoleonic War no doubt about that. But you cant compare the two countries. And if you do I would say compared to its size and problems, Portugal did a great job expelling the French out of Portugal, before the British came. The British only came, when they knew the French were away, and it was safe to disembark vast amounts of troops.

During the rest of the Peninsular War, Portuguese and British forces fought alongside eachother from Spain to France, the Anglo-Portuguese army was over 90 000 soldiers strong; 55 000 British soldiers and 35 000 Portuguese soldiers. They might not be mentioned much in the history books written by the British and French, but they were there and they fought hard. Wellington called the Portuguese Cazadores the "Fighting Cocks" due to their ferocity and colour of their uniform. The Portuguese regiments were nearly alwasy put in the middle of the battles or first in the sieges, so they took the biggest blows, and then came the British and took the glory. The winner writes the history.

Portugal was one of the biggest empires at this time, and it was definitely a force to be reckoned with
Portugal was a big empire yes, but it was a trade empire, not a militaristic empire. Since the 1755 earthquake it was on its downfall, during the Peninsular War when the Portuguese court moved to Brazil in 1808, Portugal was a poor place. The military had been robbed of all their weapons, cannons and horses in 1808 by the French and 3 invasions really make a country stop in time. The consequences of the Peninsular War were huge in Portugal and Spain, the amount of destruction put the two countries far back in time. The Industrial Revolution never came to Portugal and it barely came to Spain too.

SUMMARY: To sum it up, Portugal had a big role in the Peninsular War. The British couldnt have fought the French alone, they needed the Portuguese army too, and Wellington acknowledged that, just by retreating back to Portugal in 1810 to form the Anglo-Portuguese Army. Portugal is a mountainous country and for an outside force to invade there are only two routes; the Central route next to the Tagus river or the Alentejo route. If you are in control of them, you can disembark as many troops as you want, that is what Wellington learned and that was what he did. At the end of the Napoleonic Wars at the Congress of Vienna there were 3 diplomats from Portugal but only one from Spain. Both countries were classified as minor powers.

There might be some errors here and there, because Ive just written this on the run, but mostly is correct. Im open to discuss more :P

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 02:51:02 pm by NiPhix »

Offline Napoleonic Wars

• Master's Mate
  • 42nd Regiment of Foot/Anglo-Portuguese Army
  • Faction: British Empire
Re: New faction - Kingdom of Portugal
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 07:19:21 pm »
Portugal and Spain are a must have!
42nd Regiment of Foot
Anglo-Portuguese Army
North America and Europe

Online NiPhix

• Midshipman's Mate
  • 'Sup.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 07:19:55 pm »
Portugal and Spain are a must have!

Yes :)

Offline Napoleonic Wars

• Master's Mate
  • 42nd Regiment of Foot/Anglo-Portuguese Army
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 07:32:21 pm »
Loyal Lusitanian Legion

Leal Legião Lusitana

The LLL included not only Portuguese, but also British (including its commanding officer, colonel Robert Thomas Wilson) and Germans.

My favorite Portuguese unit.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:34:45 pm by Napoleonic Wars »
42nd Regiment of Foot
Anglo-Portuguese Army
North America and Europe

Offline SwydeBarca

• Petty Officer
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 03:39:07 am »
Really like the idea of focusing on the Peninsula War first. It gives a bit of background to the changes being made and it is an excellent excuse at adding 2 very important factions that didn't make it to NW (Spain and Portugal)

You have my total support for both :D

Offline Don_Francisco

• Petty Officer
  • Coronel del 2.ºReina
  • Nick: FranciscoCC
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 04:18:11 am »
Sincerely  I think Portugal didn't play the same rol as Spain or the Brittish and I consider it as Minor nation at this time, for this I don't think Portugal should be added in the game firstly.

I think the nations in the game must be France, United Kingdom, Austria, Russia, Prussia and Spain. Maybe some portuguese troops in the british faction.

Offline Jackson

• Global Moderator
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 04:43:04 am »
Prussia was also a minor nation relatively little importance, but a lot of people want them to be added.
-The artist formerly known as Docm30
-Freelance character designer for Holdfast: Nations At War.

MY OPINIONS DO NOT REFLECT THOSE OF THE DEVELOPERS, AT LEAST IN REGARDS TO INFORMATION ABOUT THE GAME!

Offline Don_Francisco

• Petty Officer
  • Coronel del 2.ºReina
  • Nick: FranciscoCC
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 05:09:01 am »
Prussia was also a minor nation relatively little importance, but a lot of people want them to be added.
Man don't compare the Prussian military power with the Portuguese at this time. It's true that the Prussian Army at this time was obsoleted and antiquated, but Prussia took a great rol in wars of the Sixth And Seventh Coalition defeating the French in the Battles of Leipzig (1813) and Waterloo (1815). And the prestige obtained in the XVIII Century by Prussia (with Frederick the Great) in the 7 years war defeating Austria and annexing Silesia, the Pomeranian war, the war of the Austrian Succession, etc. You know, the Prussian discipline.

But I don't know what time of the war are pretended by the developers to be recreated.  :P
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 05:11:26 am by Don_Francisco »

Online NiPhix

• Midshipman's Mate
  • 'Sup.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 09:25:22 am »
To be honest Portugal wasnt a minor faction. It really fought hard against France together with the UK. The did significant damage to the French army in the peninsula.

Wellingtons words

"From all I have learned of the state of the enemy's force at present in the Peninsula, I am of opinion that unless the Spanish armies should meet with misfortune, the enemy could not make an attack upon Portugal; and [that] if events in Spain should enable the enemy to make such an attack, the force at present in Portugal is able to defend that country. If in consequence of the peace in Germany the enemy's army in the Peninsula should be reinforced, it is obvious that the enemy will acquire the means of attacking Portugal... in this case I conceive that till Spain shall have been conquered... the enemy will find it difficult, if not impossible, to obtain possession of Portugal."

"The unevenness of the ground caused the head of the columns to waver and made their weapons jingle, and this attracted the attention of our advanced outposts... We awaited their approach, and as soon as they opened the attack we threw hand grenades amongst them.... The Spaniards lost a large number of killed, wounded and... prisoners; on our side no one had a scratch. Next day the enemy ran up the white flag... I accorded them the honours of war. The garrison laid down their arms and remained prisoners; out of respect for their bravery the officers retained their swords."

Portugal had fearsome soldiers that fought together with the British forces. They have enough units to form their own faction.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 09:45:30 am by NiPhix »

Offline Doperade

• Landsman
  • underground gang
  • Nick: Doperade
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 01:05:57 pm »
Portugal was one of the biggest empires at this time, and it was definitely a force to be reckoned with

as a portuguese man myself, i fully support this

Online NiPhix

• Midshipman's Mate
  • 'Sup.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 01:07:32 pm »

as a portuguese man myself, i fully support this

My bae is aliiiiveee  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Online Viriathus

• Petty Officer
  • Rua, suas cabras!
  • Nick: Viri
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 01:51:08 pm »

DISCLAIMER: Im a Portuguese, so of course I would like to see Portugal in the game. I have studied the Portuguese role during the Peninsular War for 4 years now.
I agree with you that Portugal and Spain should be added in a later stage of the game. But if Spain is in the game it would be stupid to not have Portugal in it too.

So what did Portugal do during the Peninsular War and Napoleonic Wars??
  • 1807 - Napoleon is making the Continental Blockade on Britain, all European countries joined the Blockade. Only one didn't, and went against Napoleon. Guess who.... Portugal.
  • November 1807 - The Peninsular War started by Spain giving free access to the French army, so Spain and France could invade Portugal together. (some say the war started in 1808 when Napoleon invaded Spain, but it started when he invaded Portugal in 1807, because Portugal is in the Peninsula... so its the Peninsular War).
  • January-February 1808 - The Portuguese Army was disbanded and made into the French Portuguese Legion, which followed Napoleon to Russia, and was given the nickname "The Black Legion" by Napoleon himself, because of how hard they fought. From the around 50 000-60 000 strong army, only half or less actually joined the Legion. The months after there were demonstrations and fights in various Portuguese cities against the French.
  • 2 May 1808 - the 2 de Mayo revolt happened in Madrid, Spain which revolting spirit also reached Portugal in June.
  • June-July 1808 - The Spanish army in northern and southern Portugal went back to Spain to fight the French, this allowed revolts in north and southern Portugal to happen and a reorganisation of the Army. In late July France only had control of the territory close to the Tagus river.
  • Early August 1808 - Wellington disembarked with an army of around 12 000 soldiers in Portugal, because it was the SAFEST place in the Peninsula to start an invasion. Later he united forces with the Portuguese Northern Army, which made the Anglo-Portuguese Army around 20 000 soldiers strong.(I will call Arthur Wellesley, Wellington even though he wasnt Duke yet, for simplicity sake)
  • Late August 1808 - The Anglo-Portuguese Army fought two battles against the French. On 30th August 1808, the British and French made a peace treaty.
  • March 1809 - France invaded Portugal for the second time from the north. Realising they couldnt win alone the Portuguese retreated to the south,
     letting the French take the cities north of the Douro River.
  • July 1809 - The Anglo-Portuguese army made the French retreat back to Galicia. After this Wellington focused on getting the Franch out of the Spanish province of Andalucia.
  • September 1809 - The Lines of Torres Vedras were started. They were 3 lines of defences on the mounatins north of Lisbon
  • December 1809 - General Massena is given 65 000 soldiers to invade Portugal for a third time. Wellington retreated back to Portugal, because if Portugal fell, the Peninsular War would be ended with a French victory.
  • July 1810 - The French invade Portugal a third time.
  • Ocotber 1810 - The Anglo Portuguese Army retreats to the finished Lines of Torres Vedras. The French try to fight thorugh it, but fail. So they make camp outside of it. Due to not having enough supplies they retreat in April 1811 back to Spain.
I could go on doing this list...

Spain did also have a major role in the Peninsular War and the Napoleonic War no doubt about that. But you cant compare the two countries. And if you do I would say compared to its size and problems, Portugal did a great job expelling the French out of Portugal, before the British came. The British only came, when they knew the French were away, and it was safe to disembark vast amounts of troops.

During the rest of the Peninsular War, Portuguese and British forces fought alongside eachother from Spain to France, the Anglo-Portuguese army was over 90 000 soldiers strong; 55 000 British soldiers and 35 000 Portuguese soldiers. They might not be mentioned much in the history books written by the British and French, but they were there and they fought hard. Wellington called the Portuguese Cazadores the "Fighting Cocks" due to their ferocity and colour of their uniform. The Portuguese regiments were nearly alwasy put in the middle of the battles or first in the sieges, so they took the biggest blows, and then came the British and took the glory. The winner writes the history.

Portugal was a big empire yes, but it was a trade empire, not a militaristic empire. Since the 1755 earthquake it was on its downfall, during the Peninsular War when the Portuguese court moved to Brazil in 1808, Portugal was a poor place. The military had been robbed of all their weapons, cannons and horses in 1808 by the French and 3 invasions really make a country stop in time. The consequences of the Peninsular War were huge in Portugal and Spain, the amount of destruction put the two countries far back in time. The Industrial Revolution never came to Portugal and it barely came to Spain too.

SUMMARY: To sum it up, Portugal had a big role in the Peninsular War. The British couldnt have fought the French alone, they needed the Portuguese army too, and Wellington acknowledged that, just by retreating back to Portugal in 1810 to form the Anglo-Portuguese Army. Portugal is a mountainous country and for an outside force to invade there are only two routes; the Central route next to the Tagus river or the Alentejo route. If you are in control of them, you can disembark as many troops as you want, that is what Wellington learned and that was what he did. At the end of the Napoleonic Wars at the Congress of Vienna there were 3 diplomats from Portugal but only one from Spain. Both countries were classified as minor powers.

There might be some errors here and there, because Ive just written this on the run, but mostly is correct. Im open to discuss more :P
History Peasant
YouTube channel about History
#PortugueseForum

Online NiPhix

• Midshipman's Mate
  • 'Sup.
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 02:34:03 pm »
Exactly.

Online Viriathus

• Petty Officer
  • Rua, suas cabras!
  • Nick: Viri
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 02:45:01 pm »
History Peasant
YouTube channel about History
#PortugueseForum

Online NiPhix

• Midshipman's Mate
  • 'Sup.
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 02:46:20 pm »
I should include your explanation into the Main post if I may.