Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Game Modes - Share with us your ideas!  (Read 4168 times)

Online Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Surgeon
  • May good health be yours!
    • Holdfast: NaW
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Refleax
Game Modes - Share with us your ideas!
« on: March 13, 2017, 11:15:46 pm »
For those good fellows already following us on Twitter, you might have noticed that we're currently working on Game Modes for Holdfast: NaW.

We've already read plenty of topics about this on our forums but we'd love to hear more! Go ahead and share with us your ideas.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 11:17:26 pm by Refleax »

Facebook     |        Twitter     |        Community Discord

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
    • Steam Profile
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: James | Michael
Re: Game Modes - Share with us your ideas!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 11:19:53 pm »
Perfect, I will be making a super long rant topic as usual. Thanks Refleax! 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:24:11 am by Brock »

Online Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Surgeon
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 11:21:02 pm »

Looking forward to it buddy.

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 11:23:00 pm »

Looking forward to it buddy.

Damn it Refleax! its Michael!

Here to help you, Ill add my name to the forum description.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 11:26:21 pm by Brock »

Offline Harris1815

• Master's Mate
  • Sharpe Fan and Historian/Musician/Organist
  • Nick: Harris
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 11:34:08 pm »
Koth would be fun.
God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best  ~  Voltaire

Offline Marshal LongTree

• Master's Mate
  • Lieutenant Longtree
  • Faction: French Empire
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 02:21:51 am »

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 03:24:27 am »
Alright, lets see what I can think of here... [aka prepare your brainz]

For those good fellows already following us on Twitter, you might have noticed that we're currently working on Game Modes for Holdfast: NaW.

We've already read plenty of topics about this on our forums but we'd love to hear more! Go ahead and share with us your ideas.

Since this is a very ambitious and in the end a very large game, I was thinking of the possibility of implementation a game mode within another. And in this case I was thinking outside the box. Lets say the traditional game mode is siege. The thing is, "siege" is a game mode that is within another game mode namely "survival mode". See let me explain what NW did, so this is a bit more clear. In NW you had the Battle game mode, essentially you only had one life thats what it meant. Although the game mode TDM had an unlimited amount lives, and that was essentially the only difference. My Idea's are essentially dividing everything up so its more customizable for they guy that want to host the server for a specific purpose, as he wants the players to be in a certain environment. Also an important thing to mention is, amount of re-spawns if unlimited or zero would be decided in the admin control panel and NOT by the game mode/type. An example of what I mean, Stay tuned.  8)

All "main" game mods will be in Navy blue heading. All "sub" game mods will be in Blue heading.
These two would be the two main game mode

Survival Mode
Essentially this mode, as you would expect is trying not to be arcade'e. Surgeon operation takes longer, no cross-hairs [need to look through sights to be most accurate], no 3D officer rallying arrow or something like it, and no health indicator. See now with this you can combine it with some of the normal game modes such as siege, line battle, naval, and so on. This game mode would be preferred with a line battle type setting.

Arcade Mode
Arcade mode essentially would have, a bit lower damage, faster reload, faster operations, cross-hairs, and the rallying thing. What I would say the game in its current state.

Line battle Type
So maps would be essentially plains, couple buildings / farms scattered around. most smaller details would all be be chosen by the Admin (this is further explained in my Core mechanic thread).

Siege Type is self explanatory. Again both main game mods can be used for it.

I would like the rest of the community to help with the rest  ;)

Offline Harris1815

• Master's Mate
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 05:08:44 am »
My brain did not hurt after that brock I would say though do we need a specific group I mean it sounds like overwatch to me where its the serious normal game and then arcade.
God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best  ~  Voltaire

Offline Blaze

• Server Administrator
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 03:52:47 pm »
The Arcade part would completely destroy the fact of it being a Historical Game, It's not like Napoleon Bonaparte played duck duck goose with his other officers.

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 07:18:39 pm »
The Arcade part would completely destroy the fact of it being a Historical Game, It's not like Napoleon Bonaparte played duck duck goose with his other officers.

I called it arcade I agree, would be better of called "Normal Mode"

Offline Harris1815

• Master's Mate
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 09:13:16 pm »
Depends if this is going to be matchmaking or server browser. 1. I highly doubt Anvil games will make this a match making game and will focus on server browser so no worry. (unless you wanted like a button that makes it matchmaking would be nice as well for people who want a small immersion for 20 minutes)

Online Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Surgeon
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 10:03:41 pm »
Depends if this is going to be matchmaking or server browser. 1. I highly doubt Anvil games will make this a match making game and will focus on server browser so no worry. (unless you wanted like a button that makes it matchmaking would be nice as well for people who want a small immersion for 20 minutes)

As of this moment, we don't have any plans for match-making. This could, however, be explored in the future but I highly doubt that such a feature would be of priority to the community.

Andreas coded in a server browser based on Cameron's UI design a few months back and it has been working really great.

Offline Harris1815

• Master's Mate
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 10:25:07 pm »

As of this moment, we don't have any plans for match-making. This could, however, be explored in the future but I highly doubt that such a feature would be of priority to the community.

Andreas coded in a server browser based on Cameron's UI design a few months back and it has been working really great.

Awesome I was thinking of the match making in a way DoI (Day of Infamy) Does If you look in the bottom right corner it says instant action. P.S. I like server browser better anyway.
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:26:43 pm by Harris1815 »

Offline Irahi

• Master's Mate
  • Faction: French Empire
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 10:59:24 pm »
Server browser is the best solution I think

Online Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Surgeon
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 11:12:54 pm »

Awesome I was thinking of the match making in a way DoI (Day of Infamy) Does If you look in the bottom right corner it says instant action. P.S. I like server browser better anyway.
Spoiler
[close]

Sounds like a good idea.

You will also be able to join a server that your friend is currently playing on through Steam's friend list. I'm quite sure that this feature is going to save a great deal of hassle for those wanting to play with their friends.