Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: The French Riflemen Issue, possible solutions?  (Read 373 times)

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
  • Faction: British Empire
The French Riflemen Issue, possible solutions?
« on: May 26, 2017, 05:37:10 pm »
While historically, the Grand Armee of Napoleon never had French Riflemen or used Rifles this being a video game the issue of balance is something that needs to be addressed. Many of us NW DLC veterans remember events where sadly the French were left on the side lines due to this issue so lets find a solution starting with my own.

During his conquest of Europe, Napoleon and his French Empire either occupied or persuaded many nations to switch and fight alongside his own forces during the whole conflict. What I am saying is perhaps the Riflemen in service for the French don't really have to be French?

Offline Pierre

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
  • Lua & Media Freelancer
    • 59th.eu
  • Nick: 59th Lieutenant
Re: The French Riflemen Issue, possible solutions?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 05:57:57 pm »
I feel like France not having rifles is a good idea, they had didn't have them then like you said however they still found ways to fight on and utilise what they had... Whilst the game does need to be balanced there needs to be faction differences, so every factions doesn't end up just being a reskin of the other. France not having rifles will 1. Be historically accurate, 2. Make people playing France think of new ways to counter the British rifles.

Then again I may be wrong, but that's just my 2 cents on this.

Offline Bluehawk

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman's Mate
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 06:52:37 pm »
The French did have a minority of rifles in their voltigeur companies, the so-called An XII Versailles carabine rayée, but representing them ingame as a whole class would give them an ahistorical abundance. I agree that if a rifleman class is created for the French Empire, it should come from one of the client states; Wurttemberg or Baden, for example.

Wurttemberg Jäger circa 1809
[close]
Baden Jäger (Battailon von Lingg) in Raupenhelms
[close]

Offline Harris1815

• Master's Mate
  • Sharpe Fan and Historian/Musician/Organist
  • Nick: Harris
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 08:09:18 pm »
Personally I think the French not having rifles (as stone says) gives more authenticity. In NW I never found that fighting rifles was hard I would just change positions and charge them is we had bayonets while they didn't have anything.
God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best  ~  Voltaire

Offline Leaf

• Master's Mate
  • 84e Leaf
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: 84e_Com_Leaf
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 02:09:18 am »
Personally I think the French not having rifles (as stone says) gives more authenticity. In NW I never found that fighting rifles was hard I would just change positions and charge them is we had bayonets while they didn't have anything.
+1

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 03:06:52 pm »
In a perfect world that wouldn't be a bad thing, but as soon as the other factions arrive sadly the French will be benched because balancing is a lot easier than micro managing something so it doesn't get abused.

Baden Jäger (Battailon von Lingg) in Raupenhelms
[close]

I am down with these guys because who doesn't love a sick looking Raupenhelm?