Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Support Class Discussion Thread  (Read 144 times)

Online Saga

• Regiment Leaders
  • Lieutenant
  • Bite my shiny metal ass.
    • 4th Regiment of Foot
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Henry Evans
Support Class Discussion Thread
« on: March 26, 2018, 07:56:58 pm »
The purpose of this thread is to discuss current and potential support classes, their roles and their balance. ex. Surgeons, Carpenters, Musicians, Sappers, Ammo Bearers, etc.

Current Classes
The current line up includes a number of support roles that function on the battlefield, these include the surgeon, carpenter, flag bearer, and musicians.

Surgeon
  • It may be necessary for surgeons to have limited supplies if a resupply system is implemented.
  • Surgeons seem a bit out of place on the front lines, perhaps a bleeding system with each soldier having bandages may replace the surgeon in most land based modes, but have the class present in naval and on the defenders side in siege.

Carpenter
  • The carpenter needs to be a naval unit that can repair ships.
  • Should be replaced with a Sapper in land based modes. (I swear this was shown in a dev blog somewhere)

Flag Bearer
  • Currently works well in its role of providing a buff.
  • Is the most powerful melee class, which seems a bit odd with the french eagle. Perhaps the health buff should only apply to shooting damage?
  • Needs to be able to place the flag on the ground, but this should come alongside drop able weapons.

Musicians
  • Maybe add different buffs to different musicians? Discuss bellow.
  • Health buff while playing music was a good addition.

Future Classes
These are classes that can reasonably be added in the future of the game.

Sapper
  • Should replace carpenter on land based maps.
  • Should be able to build defenses like sand bags etc.
  • Lots of demand for a class capable of repairing cannons. This is the one.

Ammo Bearer Class
  • Assuming objective based game-modes keep players alive longer, there needs to be a class capable of resupplying them with med's and ammo.
  • Post cavalry update it would be nice to see a horse cart implemented for this role.

Artillery Class
  • Capable of spawning in movable cannons.
  • Has the tools necessary to operate a cannon. (i.e Ramrod etc.)
  • Would require the implementation cavalry to move the cannons with horses, but movable cannons with a pushing mechanic would also be grand.

Will be adding points to the list, feel free to dispute existing points or suggest your own in the comments.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:58:49 pm by Saga »

Offline Jean-Baptiste

• Regiment Leaders
  • Chaplain
  • Colonel Jean-Baptiste - 89e Les Enfants Perdus
  • Faction: French Empire
Re: Support Class Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 09:13:35 pm »
Would make the argument that the Officer class should be added to this list, as it is effectively a support class.

Officer is identical to Surgeon with the exception of healing.

Online Haybales

• Regiment Leaders
  • Midshipman
  • The King's Royal
    • 1st KRRC
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Bailey
Re: Support Class Discussion Thread
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 09:57:44 pm »
Surgeon

Just give them points for healing! I'm not sure about any mechanic to "resurrect" people, don't really think it suits the era or general feel of the game right now.

Carpenter
  • The carpenter needs to be a naval unit that can repair ships.
  • Should be replaced with a Sapper in land based modes. (I swear this was shown in a dev blog somewhere)

Yep. They're moving to Naval, I'd imagine!

Sappers are confirmed in the development roadmap, see here for more information. They should work awesome as Combat Engineers.

Implied abilities of the Sappers:

"Reinforce Doors - Engineers can reinforce doors to increase their resistance to damage.
Repair- The sapper will also be able to repair destroyed artillery pieces, player built defences and other objects on the map.
Explosive Barrel - Engineers can construct and carry explosive barrels underneath fortifications to create breaches. Explosives can also be used to destroy bridges.
Gabions - Engineers can construct wickerwork defences filled with earth to provide cover.
Shooting Platform -  Engineers can construct platforms to allow players to shoot above cover such as walls.
Chevaux de frise - Engineers can construct chevaux de frise which damage cavalry if they touch them.
Infantry Spikes - Engineers can construct spikes which damage infantry if they touch them.
Chairs - Engineers can construct chairs because chairs are nice.
"

Flag Bearer
Perhaps the health buff should only apply to shooting damage?[/li][/list]

This. ^

Alternatively, have them function as musical instruments do - a purely cosmetic object, that can be put away to draw a saber for melee combat.

Musicians

Already confirmed to have different buffs are some point, see here for more! They're actually played quite a lot right now, which surprises me personally but when this change comes - we'll likely see them used more (especially for reload speed).

Sapper
  • Should replace carpenter on land based maps.
  • Should be able to build defenses like sand bags etc.
  • Lots of demand for a class capable of repairing cannons. This is the one.

See above! Hyped for the Sapper. :)

Ammo Bearer Class
  • Assuming objective based game-modes keep players alive longer, there needs to be a class capable of resupplying them with med's and ammo.
  • Post cavalry update it would be nice to see a horse cart implemented for this role.

This would be incredibly awesome. Either a dedicated class for logistics, or just have the Sapper's fill this role (ammo capacity, really). If this class was implemented into Official servers, I would definitely like to see the ammo reduced for all classes - to make this class relevant.

Artillery Class
  • Capable of spawning in movable cannons.
  • Has the tools necessary to operate a cannon. (i.e Ramrod etc.)
  • Would require the implementation cavalry to move the cannons with horses, but movable cannons with a pushing mechanic would also be grand.

I can see this being a huge problem if trolls grab them. It's annoying enough when 1 of 6 riflemen is using the cannon, imagine is someone AFK's with 1 of 3 Artillerist slots.[/list]

Colonel Lewis Haybales of the King's Royal Rifle Corps