Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Open Mic: Music  (Read 179 times)

Offline Slyk_MinionWorkz

• Able Seaman
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Slyk
Open Mic: Music
« on: April 07, 2018, 05:46:30 am »
This is the number ONE obnoxious attribute of this game.  DO SOMETHING.  Instruct admins to mute and or session ban people doing open mic and playing music is b.s.  It is annoying, and done by attention whores.  Simply put.  This individuals have no mission other than to draw attention to themselves and troll others.

Why allow trolling and game disruption like this?  Why should other players have to search out and mute this idiots?  Please institute some sort of admin rules for your sponsored servers.
Developer of "North & South: American Civil War 2.0 for Napoleon Total War"

" class="bbc_img resized" style="cursor: pointer;" width="600" height="200

Online Carruthers

• Midshipman's Mate
    • 4th ROF
  • Faction: British Empire
Re: Open Mic: Music
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 06:39:01 am »
Nothing to add to this discussion other than yes. Yes, please. Do what OP suggests.

Online Absol

• Master's Mate
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 07:26:24 pm »
Some people do like music spammers. However, I would like options for admins to be able to mute people for everybody, and for people to be able to vote to mute people.

Offline Samurai

• Server Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Nr.9 Korporal
    • Nr.9 Steam Group
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 08:47:53 am »
You have the option to mute whoever you want by pressing P, and clicking the sound icon (which will be red if their mic is open). If there are only like 20 people you want to hear speak, turn your in game VOIP volume to zero and invite people to a private VOIP server. A lot of people (myself included) enjoy most of the "DJs" running around. Without any VOIP noise the game feels less alive.

I see no reason that things need to be more complicated when you have full control over who you hear and who you do not.

I would like a global mute command with an expiration timer, although not for this reason.

I think a vote system would be ineffective and abused with 100+ people (see M&B:NW vote spamming).

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 08:52:16 am by Samurai »

Offline Slyk_MinionWorkz

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 11:08:47 pm »
As Absol said... "spammers"... there is nothing good about using that term. 

And Samuai, we all realize we can mute players.  But what about when we are playing, 2, 3, 4 or more of us on our own TS server and we all have to mute the attention-whore because the music is blaring over everyone's system?  Not everyone plays in a headset.

Fact is, a person has every right to be an asshat.  But every asshat does not have the right to infringe on everyone else and force them to take measures to stop the actions of the asshat. 

A timer on open-mic transmit would be good... X seconds every Y seconds etc.  I know that would be difficult to define because officers, especially need to communicate constantly.  Votes are not the answer.  Server admins for one, should be more diligent in muting these people and warning them.  1 warning.  Next time, session ban.  Third offense, server-ban.  If a 'ban' is too strong, then fine, "permanent mute" on the server.  Generally, though, these people contribute little to the teamwork anyway.

I ran game servers years ago and our 'no b.s.' servers were always full because people get tired of the attention-starved kiddies and basement-dwelling trolls and want to enjoy their game time and should not have to deal with tracking down idiots to mute them, etc.

Online Absol

• Master's Mate
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 07:07:39 pm »
As Absol said... "spammers"... there is nothing good about using that term. 

I ran game servers years ago and our 'no b.s.' servers were always full because people get tired of the attention-starved kiddies and basement-dwelling trolls and want to enjoy their game time and should not have to deal with tracking down idiots to mute them, etc.
I can find many quotes of players on the Discord, and Steam reviews saying that they're entertaining. Not everyone has the same opinion as you.

Offline Saris

• Master's Mate
  • Texas Poppin B
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Saris
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 03:51:26 am »
There is a mute option, its P. Once I hear a person spamming music, i automatically mute him.

Offline Luke192

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Nick: [79thCH]Luke192
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 03:48:43 pm »
If you don't want to hear them, mute them. If you don't want to hear anyone, turn the voip volume down. You kind of make it seem as if this is some sort of civil rights/oppression of your fun issue.

Luke192 - Colour Serjeant, Section C(Lights Co.) - 79th "Queen's Own" Cameron Highlanders

Offline Slyk_MinionWorkz

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 11:10:49 pm »
Luke192, the points I am making are:
1.  Players can mute others, yes.  However, we shouldn't have to in cases of attention-whoring kids;
2.  Even if I mute a player on my end, that doesn't preclude me from hearing it via other players mics and drowning out our communications;
3.  It's rude, and I don't care if people "like" it, that fine for them, but it is invasive to players overall.  If I live next door to you and play loud music starting at midnight, every night and it wakes you up... and you call the cops, but they say "Nah, I like his taste in music, let him go.  Just shut your windows or sleep with earplugs...".    How would you respond to that?

I realize there is little to be done from the game/interface/code side other than limiting 'open mic' time so server admins will control asshasts in the end, or not.  To me, and a number of others, this is a 'quality of life' issue with this, or any game.

To each his own and if I get my own admin rights one day, ban-hammers.

Offline Luke192

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Nick: [79thCH]Luke192
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 03:32:56 pm »
To each his own and if I get my own admin rights one day, ban-hammers.
Exactly, to each his own. So if people want the mic spammers, they can have them. If they don't, they can mute them. Problem already solved in my book

Luke192 - Colour Serjeant, Section C(Lights Co.) - 79th "Queen's Own" Cameron Highlanders