Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Server Size  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Herishey

• Petty Officer
  • EST 19XX. These Things Happen........
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: 84e
Re: Server Size
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2017, 10:21:17 am »
To be honest 200-250 is around an ideal number but as people have mentioned I think it depends on the map size, smaller battles aren't necessarily an issue though (e.g. 50v50 or 75v75).
As long as we want inf,cav,lights,arty for both side 50v50 is not enough. 75v75 is small but okay, 100v100 is perfect. Its all about how many units we want to use in a battle.
Most of the more popular and long standing events never included all those classes in one battle anyway so even if you could not include all classes I doubt it would limit the success of events.
YouTube

"The gods are man's creation, to give answers
that they are too afraid to give themselves."

Offline Super_

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Captain of the 3rd Regiment of Foot
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: William Lloyd
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2017, 12:36:51 pm »
To be honest 200-250 is around an ideal number but as people have mentioned I think it depends on the map size, smaller battles aren't necessarily an issue though (e.g. 50v50 or 75v75).
As long as we want inf,cav,lights,arty for both side 50v50 is not enough. 75v75 is small but okay, 100v100 is perfect. Its all about how many units we want to use in a battle.
Most of the more popular and long standing events never included all those classes in one battle anyway so even if you could not include all classes I doubt it would limit the success of events.

Events with cav, light, and arty are cancer so I really wouldn't mind seeing those wiped out. That being said I do still think 200 man servers are needed if this game wants to attempt to build upon the success of NW and not regress.

Offline Zahari

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2017, 02:12:30 pm »

Events with cav, light, and arty are cancer so I really wouldn't mind seeing those wiped out. That being said I do still think 200 man servers are needed if this game wants to attempt to build upon the success of NW and not regress.
Only inf LBs are cancer imo. If you are really playing NW for NAPOLEONIC wars than LBs with all kinds of units are fun. Most of old NW and MMrussia events were using all units.

Offline Nurdbot

• Petty Officer
  • Just another old snoddy
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2017, 03:30:58 pm »

Only inf LBs are cancer imo. If you are really playing NW for NAPOLEONIC wars than LBs with all kinds of units are fun. Most of old NW and MMrussia events were using all units.

I agree, interest in NW events pretty much died out for my clan when all line battle reverted to infantry only. It's like having a Battlefield game with only a single class and nothing else. If you get off infantry only that is fine but not everyone is into that.

Offline Super_

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2017, 05:24:57 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

I should clarify that events with one of those classes in play are often very enjoyable but with all of them tend to be a tad messy and poorly organised. As nurd says it's entirely down to preference and not the purpose of this thread. However, if server sizes were to decrease I think compromises would have to be made on the front of multi class games.

Offline Brock

• Chaplain
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
  • Nick: James | Michael
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2017, 06:07:09 pm »
I can relate to that. Everyone can, NW's Mechanics made everyone play the way they do now, small avrg' 10 people line, Just like barely a line, if it was not for event rules, people would just skirmish throughout the entire event. I hope in Holdfast they make the game mechanics to work so it is the best to shoot as a relatively large line 20-30, so people would kinda just do this type of thing automatically, just like they did back in the day.

Offline Nurdbot

• Petty Officer
  • Just another old snoddy
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2017, 07:20:17 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

I should clarify that events with one of those classes in play are often very enjoyable but with all of them tend to be a tad messy and poorly organised. As nurd says it's entirely down to preference and not the purpose of this thread. However, if server sizes were to decrease I think compromises would have to be made on the front of multi class games.

Really the poor organisation skills are the fault of the group running the event rather than the mechanics of the game at the end of the day.

Offline Super_

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2017, 07:26:42 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Really the poor organisation skills are the fault of the group running the event rather than the mechanics of the game at the end of the day.

Perhaps, but through 5 years of leading regiments I've only been to a handful, even leading a reg that used to bring all of those company variants.

Offline Zahari

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2017, 03:03:28 am »
So.. 75v75 is ok, 100v100 is perfect, 200v200 impossible

Offline Brigadier_General

• Landsman
  • "Conquer or be conquered"
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2017, 02:20:26 am »
I would be satisfied with 200-300 man servers. But I would LOVE to see more than that!

Offline Zahari

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2017, 02:52:49 am »
I would be satisfied with 200-300 man servers. But I would LOVE to see more than that!
XD feel that lag on 200v200

Offline Brock

• Chaplain
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
  • Nick: James | Michael
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2017, 03:26:28 am »
XD feel that lag on 200v200

200vs200 SEIGE  :o

Offline AgentMWolf

• Surgeon's Mate
  • What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough
  • Nick: Mr.Wolf/MadWolf
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2017, 11:58:41 am »
So.. 75v75 is ok, 100v100 is perfect, 200v200 impossible

I agree with this.