Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Assists.  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Brock

• Chaplain
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: James | Michael
Re: Assists.
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2017, 05:32:11 am »
Psssssss. Oh sorry, I was just extinguishing my candle.

Offline Nurdbot

• Petty Officer
  • Just another old snoddy
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2017, 05:49:34 pm »
Well considering this game had surgeon and a class dedicated to repair of ships (alongside possible sappers and musicians perhaps) as well as game mode mechanics aimed more at territory control than just killing I don't see a problem with some form of alternate ways to get a good score now.

Offline Ribs

• Midshipman's Mate
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 06:02:47 pm »
Well considering this game had surgeon and a class dedicated to repair of ships (alongside possible sappers and musicians perhaps) as well as game mode mechanics aimed more at territory control than just killing I don't see a problem with some form of alternate ways to get a good score now.

Didn't think of this at all, agree with you entirely.

Offline Merfie

• Master's Mate
  • Frankly fabulous.
  • Nick: John Mandeville
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2017, 06:35:07 pm »
I would thank you not to imply people are immature for making legitimate suggestions.

Perspective is a wonderful thing. I'm sure my legitimate opinion didn't affect Ghukha negatively in any way, shape or form. Thanks for your input though, it was most certainly needed.

When referring to 'good score', the vast majority of people look at the amount of kills and deaths a player has, not the amount of points he accumulates. What is the benefit to gaining points? At least in War Thunder, gaining points equates to rewards. This feature just creates needless hassle for the developers.
John Mandeville, Ensign. 3rd Regt. - The Buffs

Offline Nurdbot

• Petty Officer
  • Just another old snoddy
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2017, 06:39:46 pm »
Who's to say the assist system or even the score would be point based?

Unless the post is being made by a developer everything discussed is theory crafting.

Offline Merfie

• Master's Mate
  • Frankly fabulous.
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2017, 06:41:40 pm »
Who's to say the assist system or even the score would be point based?

Unless the post is being made by a developer everything discussed is theory crafting.

In what other way would you display this then? And more importantly, to what end?

Offline Bluehawk

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman's Mate
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2017, 07:04:09 pm »
The Battlegrounds mod for HL and HL2 combined kills and assists by only showing you how much damage you've dealt. If you swooped in and finished off a wounded player after a fight, you'd only get partial credit because you'd only be dealing partial damage. In that way, the player who does the most but can't close the deal still gets most of the credit, rather than receiving an "assist" as a consolation prize.

Offline Intel Guardian

• Master's Mate
  • I am indeed a ball wearing a hat.
  • Nick: Intel
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2017, 07:48:35 pm »
When referring to 'good score', the vast majority of people look at the amount of kills and deaths a player has, not the amount of points he accumulates. What is the benefit to gaining points? At least in War Thunder, gaining points equates to rewards. This feature just creates needless hassle for the developers.

Without points, many people come to assume that killing players is the only useful thing to do, and those that main support classes may feel neglected.

Offline Merfie

• Master's Mate
  • Frankly fabulous.
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2017, 07:57:41 pm »

Without points, many people come to assume that killing players is the only useful thing to do, and those that main support classes may feel neglected.

I'm sure they'd receive plenty of gratification from their team for their support. Frankly, even if they were awarded points, would anyone really care?

I certainly wouldn't be bothered if I was playing as a surgeon, or whatever, and didn't receive any type of in-game reward for my efforts. I doubt I'd even bother checking the scoreboard, I'd only be interested in healing those on my team so we'd have a fighting chance to win the match.

Although I suppose that's an opinion from a purely competitive standpoint. Perhaps some of the pubs may feel a tad 'neglected', but I'm sure they'd just as easily switch class to a fighting unit if they felt that unappreciated.

Offline Brock

• Chaplain
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
  • Nick: James | Michael
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2017, 09:17:55 pm »

I'm sure they'd receive plenty of gratification from their team for their support. Frankly, even if they were awarded points, would anyone really care?

I certainly wouldn't be bothered if I was playing as a surgeon, or whatever, and didn't receive any type of in-game reward for my efforts. I doubt I'd even bother checking the scoreboard, I'd only be interested in healing those on my team so we'd have a fighting chance to win the match.

Although I suppose that's an opinion from a purely competitive standpoint. Perhaps some of the pubs may feel a tad 'neglected', but I'm sure they'd just as easily switch class to a fighting unit if they felt that unappreciated.
what he said.

Offline Ribs

• Midshipman's Mate
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2017, 09:20:35 pm »
lmfao assists. What are we, a bunch of 9 year old cod players?

Yes, I hit rank 55 in the 33rd and just prestiged back to Pte.

I prestiged and now I'm a Mrks whatever that is.

Offline Jackson

• Global Moderator
  • Surgeon's Mate
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 08:01:21 am »
Thanks for your input though, it was most certainly needed.

Not input, for the record. When I tell you not to do something, you will not continue to do it.
-The artist formerly known as Docm30
-Freelance character designer for Holdfast: Nations At War.

MY OPINIONS DO NOT REFLECT THOSE OF THE DEVELOPERS, AT LEAST IN REGARDS TO INFORMATION ABOUT THE GAME!

Offline Merfie

• Master's Mate
  • Frankly fabulous.
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2017, 01:04:24 pm »
Thanks for your input though, it was most certainly needed.
Not input, for the record.

Oh dear. Continue to do what, exactly? As far as I'm aware, you, for the record, were the first to comment on an otherwise trivial statement.

When I tell you not to do something, you will not continue to do it.

I'll leave you to bask in your own self-importance.  ;)

Offline Eazy-E

• Master's Mate
  • E
  • Nick: 25th_Cpt_Eazy-E
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2017, 03:20:30 pm »
When I tell you not to do something, you will not continue to do it.

So are you a moderator? Or do your opinions not reflect the opinions of the developers?

Either way, kinky. Discipline him more daddy

Offline Intel Guardian

• Master's Mate
  • I am indeed a ball wearing a hat.
  • Nick: Intel
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2017, 06:24:49 pm »
Spicy beef in the oven here boyos.