Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Thread regarding Server Administration & Mechanics Overview.  (Read 422 times)

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
    • Steam Profile
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: James | Michael
Thread regarding Server Administration & Mechanics Overview.
« on: February 08, 2017, 04:35:30 am »
Thread regarding Server Administration & Mechanics Overview

[Special thanks to Gurkha, kinda adding to what he did  8)]     

Core Mechanics

In my opinion for a game category this game is in right now, a proper administration system for the game in needed. Preferably in two tiers Like a 'Moderator' & 'Administrator'. Difference you may ask? Well essentially Moderator would have everything the Administrator would have, but Administrator would have have more Administrative options then the moderator would. Here are some good explanations: Administrator would have a manager in game &/or outside of it Managing all the Moderators [adding moderation revoking it to players] making it nice and easy for owners to do there business. Also make a nice mechanic to make like an in-game Forum/messaging system that would be for all the Players and Admins disposal for the servers needs, Admins apps, map bugs [for custom maps if there will be], and suggestions. Just like a small little convenient messaging system were the players can look at announcements regarding the server. Make a nice system for the Administrators to be able to make an announcement every so often this can include recruitment, some tips, etc.. A message would be displayed to all players or just Mods every once and so often, given a time interval. Another good way for players can view Announcements brings me to my next topic of suggestions.

Getting the Game Design Right

This is were NW messed up. The admin chat was HORRIBLE. Admins would consistently Spam it use it for recruiting, or just dumb conversations. That needs to go. perhaps a smaller 'Admin chat' or with a color that is not as pooping to the eye. Having the ability for an Admin to choose how long the Ban will be also important, also having a nice easy interface to work with is also important. Having a nice List with all the player name is ONE thing. We need an option for an admin to simply click a persons name above their head for it to give a very small list to the side. Ban, Kick, Warn. this way Everyone does not Need to see in a huge admin chat, FAT_BASTARD STOP TK'ING! LAST WARNING! give moderators and admins the tools to for example have the option to save some short phrases like 'Last Warning Stop team killing.' so they can have this personal message that would show up to the players screen only and warn them. Please I want cancer free game play. This was it is efficient and easy for an admin to work and communicate with the player. When an admin selects the ban option above the players name make that list split into another one, stating how long the ban should be, if permanent. Again Nice and easy framework to work with.
            Keep the chat Simple for players and admins : let player choose a chat size option so they can size it for there needs [player chat]. Keep in mind Admin chat should be smaller and less butt hurt then NW. When a player leaves the server THEN have an additional list to the regular player list for the ones that already left ( up to 10 minuits of leaving ) so if someone makes an offense and leaves right after the admin can deal with that player from there.

W.I.P Will be updated!

Let me know what you think down below!

Offline Gurkha

• Midshipman's Mate
  • 33rd_Gurkha
    • 33rd Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: Gurkha
Re: Thread regarding Server Administration & Mechanics Overview.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 07:18:15 am »
c o o l

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
    • Steam Profile
  • Nick: James | Michael
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 05:55:03 pm »
Anyone else? Opinions?  ???

Offline Zahari

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Faction: French Empire
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 11:11:22 pm »
It could just stay as it is in NW.

Offline GodEmperorTitus

• Standing Officer
  • SjtMaj 32nd Regiment
  • Nick: Titus
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 03:12:24 am »
It could just stay as it is in NW.

You must be joking surely? NW server moderation is just so unnecessarily painful and awkward. The tools are shite, the UI is shite and the level of customisation is shite. I mean, it works well enough but I do not enjoy scrolling through 200 fucking names to find the one guy who needs to be banned. Or having the internal and external admin chat buttons next to each other. Or the abominable lack of a definable ban length, or an easy way of removing perma bans, or no way of defining polls other than a majority. No way to set up an easily visible set of rules that are easily visible on joining. (I know the description is there but that has no formatting and is too small.)

I'm all for an overhaul Brock. Basically anything would be better than NW mod tools, except of course the Native mod tools.