Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Game Modes - Share with us your ideas!  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Risk

• Midshipman's Mate
  • I believe you, but my tommy gun don't.
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Risk
Re: Game Modes - Share with us your ideas!
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 12:08:00 am »
Depends if this is going to be matchmaking or server browser. 1. I highly doubt Anvil games will make this a match making game and will focus on server browser so no worry. (unless you wanted like a button that makes it matchmaking would be nice as well for people who want a small immersion for 20 minutes)

As of this moment, we don't have any plans for match-making. This could, however, be explored in the future but I highly doubt that such a feature would be of priority to the community.

Andreas coded in a server browser based on Cameron's UI design a few months back and it has been working really great.

Awesome I was thinking of the match making in a way DoI (Day of Infamy) Does If you look in the bottom right corner it says instant action. P.S. I like server browser better anyway.
Spoiler
[close]

Sounds like a good idea.

You will also be able to join a server that your friend is currently playing on through Steam's friend list. I'm quite sure that this feature is going to save a great deal of hassle for those wanting to play with their friends.

Cool

Offline Rejenorst

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 08:00:15 am »
Just some random ideas that I'll throw out there for community members to pick up if their interested:

1) I remember a siege game in NW I played years ago where killed defending players where asked to spawn on the besiegers (attacking) side. It was kind of a survival siege thing. Not sure if having that as a server option would appeal to players? Ie: Defenders can't or can re-spawn to a limited amount after which they are forced to join attacking side which could be a separate option that could be turned off and on by server.

2) Not sure if anyone's interested in that. One could expand it to most maps even non-siege ones where a defending team must repel a horde and wins if it can hold out for a set time limit but the more they die the more difficult it gets with killed players spawning on attacking side.

3) Other game modes could have random objectives such as destroy cannon/house/ship/powder store/supplies wagon X at random location on map while defenders defend against a time limit.

Offline Blaze

• Surgeon's Mate
  • 79th_Col_Jamie_Williams
  • Faction: British Empire
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 04:54:34 pm »
Rejenorst must, say you have some excellent Ideas!
I've also got an idea, this is more based for Naval
Right so, allow me to begin, it would start off with each team having 3 boats, 2 of the boats being defending boats armed with cannons ect. the last boat in the convoy is a small ship full off goods and armor the objective of the 2 teams is to attempt to board and take over the other teams Goodie Boat.

Offline Harris1815

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Sharpe Fan and Historian/Musician
  • Nick: Harris
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 06:32:59 pm »

3) Other game modes could have random objectives such as destroy cannon/house/ship/powder store/supplies wagon X at random location on map while defenders defend against a time limit.

I definitely agree. One way to alter this would be similar to operations in BF1(Battlefield) where if the Attacking team one then They would push to the next Battle or siege.

To show you what I mean.
Spoiler
[close]
  p.s You should call it conquest
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 06:36:10 pm by Harris1815 »

God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best  ~  Voltaire

Offline Zahari

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Faction: French Empire
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 12:00:11 am »
You should make a team objective for every mod, just to keep casual players involved.

Offline Painmace

• Standing Officer
  • Centre Company Ensign of the 32nd
    • http://32nd.azurewebsites.net/join
  • Nick: Painmace
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 07:20:00 pm »
Line battle Type
So maps would be essentially plains, couple buildings / farms scattered around. most smaller details would all be be chosen by the Admin (this is further explained in my Core mechanic thread).

Only having plains is lame, what kind of strategy and tactics is that? 1v1 single rank fire once and charge... eeehh  :-\

Offline Brock

• Chaplain
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
  • Nick: James | Michael
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 02:32:00 am »
Line battle Type
So maps would be essentially plains, couple buildings / farms scattered around. most smaller details would all be be chosen by the Admin (this is further explained in my Core mechanic thread).

Only having plains is lame, what kind of strategy and tactics is that? 1v1 single rank fire once and charge... eeehh  :-\

Well it would be meant for regiments, line an LB is now in NW. Definitely not a popular pub thing, for sure.

Offline Painmace

• Standing Officer
  • Centre Company Ensign of the 32nd
    • http://32nd.azurewebsites.net/join
  • Nick: Painmace
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 09:04:18 am »
Line battle Type

Well it would be meant for regiments, line an LB is now in NW. Definitely not a popular pub thing, for sure.

You talking about them "competetive line battels"?

Offline Brock

• Chaplain
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 08:14:37 pm »
Line battle Type

Depends what 'competitive' looks like in Holdfast. If its a running game with 10 people, or a 50 man 3 column line that uses tactics and drills instead of running away.

Offline Dom_

• Surgeon's Mate
  • This forum is a panopticon

Offline Zahari

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Faction: French Empire
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 11:47:14 pm »
Line battle Type

Depends what 'competitive' looks like in Holdfast. If its a running game with 10 people, or a 50 man 3 column line that uses tactics and drills instead of running away.
In the end its just game :p

Offline Brock

• Chaplain
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 01:06:02 am »
Line battle Type

Im to old to look at it that way.

In the end its just game :p

Im to old for it be called a game.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:10:16 am by Brock »

Offline Intel Guardian

• Master's Mate
  • I am indeed a ball wearing a hat.
  • Nick: Intel
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2017, 02:27:28 am »
How about a naval capture the flag gamemode, with multiple ships and the flags being on the largest ones?

Offline Brock

• Chaplain
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2017, 06:21:55 pm »
How about a naval capture the flag gamemode, with multiple ships and the flags being on the largest ones?

Nice! So the objective would not be to sink or destroy the enemy ship, but to capture it!

Offline Zebra

• Petty Officer
  • Nick: Zebra
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2017, 06:53:03 pm »
Hey everyone! I have an awesome idea for a gamemode and I thought I share it with you guys.

This type of gamemode would focus on the battlefield, not on the naval battles, but who knows. There would be one general on each side ( 1 french, 1 british ) who gives the orders to the line infantry's officers, and they fulfil the action with their soldiers. The generals and the officers would have a map where the general could make/draw these plans (where/when should they go, charge,retire, etc.). Every officer would be able to see what the general draws. If the general dies then... I don't know what should happen :DD .

This is not exactly a "gamemode", rather a function, feature in the line battles. This kind of gamemode could be used for the events. I've made an image where you can see the main functionality of this.

The generals could draw different type of arrows for every command: move, charge, flank and so on. I think it's not impossible to implement, may takes some time but I would love to see this in game. I hope you like it, please give me back some feedback about this stuff, thanks. (Sorry for the mistakes in english, if I've made any ;D )

- Zebra
[/color][/size]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:46:02 pm by Zebra »