Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Artillery Variants  (Read 92 times)

Offline Bjergsson

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Faction: Neutral
Artillery Variants
« on: December 07, 2017, 04:17:57 am »
Would be nice to see some howitzers and different types of shot included. Canister shot may be a little OP (but wow would it be impressive to watch) but the mortars and howitzers would definitely do to have shell as well as round shot. It could, much like the muskets, have a random chance of not going off or of being a dud on impact. The dream would be to include the option for fuse time before loading the shell in the howitzer or mortar so not only do you have to get the range, but also the fuse length of the shell!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:21:17 am by Bjergsson »

Offline Saris

• Master's Mate
  • Texas Poppin B
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Saris
Re: Artillery Variants
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 04:35:36 am »
Same here, I cant wait for canister to come out. I hate firing a round shot when multiple people are coming at me.

Offline Intel Guardian

• Midshipman
  • Yes, I am a briefcase.
    • My Twitter
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Intel
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 11:54:30 am »
Can't wait for the French to have longer fire times than the British due to them still using linstocks.  8)

Offline Rockerfish

• Able Seaman
  • 34th RoF
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Rocker
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 01:42:24 am »
Would be nice to see some howitzers and different types of shot included. Canister shot may be a little OP (but wow would it be impressive to watch) but the mortars and howitzers would definitely do to have shell as well as round shot. It could, much like the muskets, have a random chance of not going off or of being a dud on impact. The dream would be to include the option for fuse time before loading the shell in the howitzer or mortar so not only do you have to get the range, but also the fuse length of the shell!

From what the devs have said on the devroad map

"Artillery pieces were the backbone of an army during the Napoleonic era. In Holdfast: Nations At War the selection of artillery pieces is already quite vast. This ranges from a variety of long guns, field guns and mortars. We’re not stopping here, however, have a look at what we have planned for improvements on artillery mechanics, new artillery pieces and shot variety.

Ramming Your Shot - We are looking into ways on how to make the operation of artillery pieces more teamwork oriented and this is one of them.
Shot Bounce - Round shots fired from artillery pieces bounce off the terrain until they lose momentum.
Moveable Artillery - Multiple players can interact with an artillery piece to start moving it around the battlefield.
Additional Improvements - We’re always looking for new ideas to some interesting mechanics we can include in this area. You’re welcome to engage in discussion about additional improvements for artillery mechanics on our forums.
New Artillery Shot Types - We’ll also be working on a variety of different artillery shots such as the infamous canister. Carcass and case rockets can also be fired from rocket emplacements.
New Artillery Pieces - New artillery pieces such as howitzers and rocket artillery will be added into the game. You will be able to fire rockets from boats!"

Most of what you have said is in the works....BUT the part about duds (would work best if it was very low due to this being a game and all, so maybe 1 or 2%?)and fail to blow on impact due to wrong set fuse time are cool ideas. I can see it now, a fuse was set to long so it just hit ground with no (or super little) splash damage and burns for few more sec b4 MUCH bigger explosion follows and scares that crap out of massacres all the people near by.
the dev roadmap can be found here "http://www.holdfastgame.com/News/Post?p=1027"