Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Map Concepts - Share with us your Ideas!  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Mercuri

• Standing Officer
    • Comunidad Gamer Hispana
  • Faction: Neutral
Re: Map Concepts - Share with us your Ideas!
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2017, 11:13:14 pm »
Battle of La albuera

The Battle of Albuera (16 May 1811) was a battle during the Peninsular War. A mixed British, Spanish and Portuguese corps engaged elements of the French Armée du Midi (Army of the South) at the small Spanish village of Albuera, about 20 kilometres (12 mi) south of the frontier fortress-town of Badajoz, Spain.  (read more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Albuera)

What looks great to me about a map based on this battle? Is a large terrain with a low river crossing it, there was a fight on the stone bridge that cross the river near the village of La Albuera. This map bring us enough terrain to have a fun event with cobants in the open fields, the streets of the village or the bridge or the hills as historically happened.  This map is for realistic gameplay modes

So the map can be as longs as the developers think it need, it can be just the representation of the village and the bridge, wich will be a medium size map, or it can also include all the open fields and hills as a large or very large map.

British come from the West, the side of the riber were the village is, and the French come from the East. There is more impormation about this battle around the internet in case someone needs more explanation

This is a good top view of the terrain and the distribution of the order of battle

This is the google maps location

more here:
Spoiler
[close]

And finally, some cool images from a great diorama:

The full gallery of 39 imgs

Edit: Found more detailed information about the battle
http://balagan.info/battle-of-albuera-16-may-1811
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:02:00 pm by Mercuri »

Offline Mercuri

• Standing Officer
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2017, 11:15:24 pm »
edit: sorry delete this pls

Offline cucovi

• Petty Officer
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2017, 01:28:55 pm »

Offline cucovi

• Petty Officer
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2017, 01:29:10 pm »
About the battle of Albuera, this map was made in NW in the event of the peninsular campaign that contained the majority of Spanish clans. Apart from this battle there were also many more historical battles in different parts of Spain.

Here I leave several photos of how was the event map created by myself

Video of map:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 01:41:41 pm by cucovi »

Offline OsamazeLlama

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Faction: British Empire
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2017, 02:10:27 pm »
Maybe add some sort of hill star fort? Would love to partake in one of those sieges.

Just some ideas :)

Offline Prisoner

• Landsman
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Prisoner
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2017, 11:31:39 pm »
is there a possibility of randomized maps like mount and blade?

Offline Mercuri

• Standing Officer
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2017, 11:13:26 am »
About the battle of Albuera, this map was made in NW in the event of the peninsular campaign that contained the majority of Spanish clans. Apart from this battle there were also many more historical battles in different parts of Spain.

Spoiler
[close]

I dont want to be rude, but man, it doesn't look even similar :/

Offline Siwi

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Here to crush dreams and make memes
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2017, 12:21:01 pm »
Is there plan to add the ability for us to make custom maps?

Offline Lorucas

• Master's Mate
  • 8th_Huss_VTrp // [DC] División Cántabra
  • Nick: Lorucas ♞
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2017, 12:59:39 pm »

Spoiler
[close]

How can you say that? You were not at the event, if I remember correctly your regiment did not want to attend a series of events of the peninsular war, which were a large majority of Spanish clans. And if the map has some different parts it is because the warband editor is not very accurate.

So please stop trying to disparage the work of others or copy ideas. Many thanks  ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 01:01:26 pm by Lorucas »

Offline Mercuri

• Standing Officer
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2017, 05:20:39 pm »

How can you say that? You were not at the event, if I remember correctly your regiment did not want to attend a series of events of the peninsular war, which were a large majority of Spanish clans. And if the map has some different parts it is because the warband editor is not very accurate.

So please stop trying to disparage the work of others or copy ideas. Many thanks  ;)

1st It doens't matter if I played the event or not, whats the point of talking about the event? he shared screenshoots and a video where you can see the map, so I'm talking about what he is showing and I'm seeing.
2nd In my opinion, the distribution of the places or the props is not good, there are not enough hills, map seems flat, and a large etc... He is sharing these pics and videos of his NW map in order to being used to make a map in the future by the devs of the game, they asked for propper information, if the information he is sharing is not even similar to the original why I can't say it? Why you share a NW maps based on a original battle instead of the original information you used to make the map? Makes no sense.
3rd. What I'm copying?  :o

Offline SK

• Master's Mate
  • SK, 92nd Edward MacKay
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2017, 06:23:31 pm »
I haven't seen it anywhere probably missed it but, will you be able to make your own maps in the future?

Offline Lecourbe

• Master's Mate
  • Par le fer quand le feu manque !
    • 61e Régiment
  • Nick: [61e] Lecourbe
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2017, 11:22:51 am »
I haven't seen it anywhere probably missed it but, will you be able to make your own maps in the future?

As the dev already said, an editor to create your own custom maps will be added in the future.

Offline Soarino

• Ordinary Seaman
  • The real use of gunpowder is to make all men tall
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2017, 10:37:56 pm »
A urban combat map would be good addition with large streets and maybe a baracade made from furniture, the map could be based of the city of Paris with or maybe even a medium rural Spanish city. The size of the city could scale with the game mode or the player count.

Offline Duke_Countu

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2017, 04:21:54 pm »
A few map suggestion for when the Prussians show up:

1. Teutonic Castle

A map centered around a red-brick Teutonic castle, like those commonly found in the Baltic for the Army Battlefield and Army Siege (French attackers, Prussian defenders) game modes.

Examples:

2. Winter Abbey

A snow-covered map centered around a Prussian abbey for the Army Siege (French defenders, Prussian attackers) and Army Battlefield game modes.

Examples:

3. Polish Farmland

A flat, dreary, late-autumn land covered with crops and with bare trees lining the paths for the Army Battlefield mode.

4. Polish Farmstead

A map in the same style as the Polish farmland, but centered around a cluster of farmhouses for the Army Siege (French attackers, Prussian defenders) and Army Battlefield modes.

Examples:

Offline Ullriken

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Nick: Falk
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2017, 07:03:35 pm »
Name your map:
Cannon Green Field? I am really bad with names :P

Is your map concept specifically aimed at competitive, public play or both:
Both

How are things going to play out gameplay wise:
Make objectives or Ticket Stand off.
How large is the map: Fairly large so that artillery cant hit each other.

What is the environment going to be like:
The purpose was that I thought that the game was lacking in a map that would allow us to play in a major battle with cannons blasting against the field but not being able to hit each other.
Can perhaps change with future movable artillery?

Provide a top down overview of the map and additional imagery to get your point across.
https://imgur.com/blrz2s1

What do you think?
“This shall hence become my music” ..upon hearing the sound of gunfire during his first real battle.
– Karl XII “Carolus Rex”