Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Hardcore Mode: Discussion Thread  (Read 667 times)

Offline Bluehawk

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman
  • Faction: British Empire
Re: Hardcore Mode: Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 09:44:39 pm »
They could also be caused by successive firing without cleaning the musket, from fouling clogging the vent or the flint being chipped from successive strikes against the frizzen. If a misfire mechanic could be made to increase in probability with such successive shot (and resetting when the player dies and respawns), it could create a natural and gradual incentive to not hang back behind cover and fire off all 60 (or 25) cartridges all day long, and it wouldn't be as frustrating as a purely flat probability of whatever-percent, since the player would know why his musket was failing on him.

If that system is in place, then you could give light infantry classes the bonus of a less severe increase in misfires so that they're free to skirmish for longer periods of time.

Speaking of fouling, you could also make the reload time for muskets gradually increase, as the bore becomes progressively tighter against the ball with frequent shooting. This may or may not accompany a temporary increase in accuracy as well.

Offline Secian

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Nick: Joseph Harris
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 09:52:46 pm »
If we're doing a competitive mode, then I'd say zero rng for things like misfires. Imagine a line cresting over and half of them get an rng misfire and the opposing line decimates them. Did it happen back then, probably, but this is a game. Maybe have three modes, Arcade, Historical, Competitive/Hardcore.

Offline TooL69

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 05:24:21 pm »
stupid mode...

Offline Mark

• Server Administrator
  • Standing Officer
  • Lieutenant - 51st Regiment
  • Nick: Mark
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 06:45:56 pm »
The purpose of the mode is to add a more competitive element to the game, rather than offering a different "realistic" game mode. As such, things such as misfires and other RNG-related features are definitely not desirable in my opinion.

Competitive refers primarily to linebattles: right now the meta of the game heavily favors camping the largest hill and firing continuously at range, which I personally do not enjoy. Reducing the long range (160m+) accuracy and reducing the ammo count should help to force regiments into medium-to-short range linebattles which are much more engaging and fun for everyone involved.
Mark

Offline Lord Blakeney

• Able Seaman
  • Nick: Wm. Blakeney
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 02:40:46 pm »
The reduction to musket accuracy (+drop) felt a bit unrewarding.
I'm in favor of reducing damage based on distance rather than decreasing accuracy.
This way marksmen still get to feel a sense of accomplishment.
Long distance strategies are still possible, but not as rewarding.

Realism is cool, but doesn't always make for good game features.
RNG should be considered carefully, but can play a part.
Eg. instead of misfires you could introduce jams, which would add a small timer to reloading.

Reduced ammo is an interesting idea, if you have means of resupplying.
Eg. make ammo lootable from enemies.
This would award/encourage aggressive play and create objectives.

I agree with reducing damage based on distance over decreased accuracy.

It doesn't seem clear if Hardcore Mode is trying to be competitive or more realistic. I don't think a combination of both is going to cause the desired effect.

Obviously, it would be good to see people playing in tighter areas as opposed to groups firing from distant hilltops or individuals walking the edge of the map to snipe.

Offline Mousecatcher

• Standing Officer
  • 51st Regiment of Foot
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 10:06:34 pm »
This "hardcore", as I understand whole idea is really nothing than "competive mode" to make linebattling community happy (or happier). Little bit more hardcore then vanilla (to reinforce need of skill and teamplay, make good challenge) but still no too over-top with realism and historism, still DYNAMIC and fun, as game to play online in pvp.

Also limitations of game engine and development recources must be considered (we can't go too fancy with fantasies).

In this framework, what I seen during test and what we need.

- I love to see longer living smoke (may be bit thicker), this will add some tactical considerations during extensive firefights.
- Generaly ballistics are okay with more drop, I liked it, combat feels better. Not so many sick 200 m headshots, but they still happen. Its likely matter of time when everyone will learn arcs better (to some extent, at least). I think we need little bit more spead after 100 m.
- Pistols need to be "nerfed" too, officers literaly sniping with them from crazy utterly unrealistic distances sometimes.
- Most elements of HUD can be force-hidden (like ammo count and minimap) in this mode.
- New line-battle friendly maps, not just open grassy fields, but whith some tactical challenge (in good sense).

- ALSO it will be very cool to have some kind of detailed after battle statistic by whole regiment (reading from tags), like shots fired, % of hits, kills, headshots, melee kills, teamkills and so on.

Offline TooL69

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 05:25:39 pm »
This "hardcore", as I understand whole idea is really nothing than "competive mode" to make linebattling community happy (or happier). Little bit more hardcore then vanilla (to reinforce need of skill and teamplay, make good challenge) but still no too over-top with realism and historism, still DYNAMIC and fun, as game to play online in pvp.

Also limitations of game engine and development recources must be considered (we can't go too fancy with fantasies).

In this framework, what I seen during test and what we need.

- I love to see longer living smoke (may be bit thicker), this will add some tactical considerations during extensive firefights.
- Generaly ballistics are okay with more drop, I liked it, combat feels better. Not so many sick 200 m headshots, but they still happen. Its likely matter of time when everyone will learn arcs better (to some extent, at least). I think we need little bit more spead after 100 m.
- Pistols need to be "nerfed" too, officers literaly sniping with them from crazy utterly unrealistic distances sometimes.
- Most elements of HUD can be force-hidden (like ammo count and minimap) in this mode.
- New line-battle friendly maps, not just open grassy fields, but whith some tactical challenge (in good sense).

- ALSO it will be very cool to have some kind of detailed after battle statistic by whole regiment (reading from tags), like shots fired, % of hits, kills, headshots, melee kills, teamkills and so on.

Why make the ballistics of muskets worse? I never understood this desire ..
Do not you like killing from 200 meters? But this does not contradict real history. The muskets were killed at such a distance.
In the game War of Rigts rifles do not interfere with the conduct of linear battles.

Offline Cristnogol

• Regiment Leaders
  • Petty Officer
  • 49th | Colonel
  • Nick: Cristno
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 05:28:43 pm »
If the purpose of the hardcore mode is to give back to the organized side of the community, then giving up realism factors is necessary to help promote  more aggressive and eventful linebattles. Hardcore mode should to a much possible to minimize RNG mechanics and enable competitive gameplay between organized lines. The skill of the infantry in the line, in shooting and melee, and the tactfulness of maneuvering the line in relative close quarters should have impact.

Long range engagements should not be effective at all, if we wanted to fight for hours in one round then being more realistic would be important. 15 minute rounds cannot be competitive without hardcore mode focusing on forcing lines closer to each other.

I would think regiments would want hardcore mode to be competitive in this sense of forcing more CQC combat rather than realism.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:14:50 pm by Cristnogol »

Offline VetroG

• Master
  • 6te Msk | 16e SdtP
  • Faction: Prussia
  • Nick: VetroG
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 06:18:14 pm »
Seems pretty fun tbh

Offline Intel Guardian

• Midshipman
  • Professional Retard
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Intel
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 07:10:01 pm »
I think the best improvement that could be made to this gamemode would be to rename it to competitive mode, as it would more properly represent what it is (or aims to be).

Offline Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Surgeon
  • May good health be yours!
    • Holdfast: NaW
  • Nick: Refleax
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 08:05:36 pm »
I think the best improvement that could be made to this gamemode would be to rename it to competitive mode, as it would more properly represent what it is (or aims to be).

I was considering that when we first started designing this, however, we've gone for something else since the 'Hardcore' game type will also be present on an official Assault (Single Life) server we'll be launching with the next update.

Great idea! We may not be able to fit it in anytime soon but it's definitely something I'd like to look into in the future.

Facebook     |        Twitter     |        Community Discord

Online Absol

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 01:14:29 am »

I was considering that when we first started designing this, however, we've gone for something else since the 'Hardcore' game type will also be present on an official Assault (Single Life) server we'll be launching with the next update.

Great idea! We may not be able to fit it in anytime soon but it's definitely something I'd like to look into in the future.
Very nice! Does this mean that the Regiments tab will be added to the game in this update?

Offline Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Surgeon
  • May good health be yours!
    • Holdfast: NaW
  • Nick: Refleax
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 01:47:02 am »

Very nice! Does this mean that the Regiments tab will be added to the game in this update?

Not in this one but instead we'll be temporarily linking that button to the 'Crews & Regiments' section on our forums. You better start planning ahead to keep your threads active! New players looking to join one will be browsing that forum section more often.

Facebook     |        Twitter     |        Community Discord

Online Absol

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 01:59:16 am »

Not in this one but instead we'll be temporarily linking that button to the 'Crews & Regiments' section on our forums. You better start planning ahead to keep your threads active! New players looking to join one will be browsing that forum section more often.
Awesome!

Offline Intel Guardian

• Midshipman
  • Professional Retard
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Intel
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2018, 02:58:28 pm »
On a related note, are the devs thinking about creating a realistic game mode? I'm sure that many of the ideas in this thread that don't fit into a competitive gamemode would fit into that.