Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Facial Features  (Read 450 times)

Offline J. Campbell

• Standing Officer
  • Lieutenant Colonel, 74th Campbell Highlanders
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: John Campbell
Re: Facial Features
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 06:56:50 am »
With every game that takes after an outdated one, expectations will follow. Good melee is a HUGE expectation, and with the melee fix they're probably gonna gain a hell of a lot more money. The community just needs to, and has been, voice opinions on what we want as a player base so they can do what we want since we're the players.

Online Pierre

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
  • Lua & Media Freelancer
    • 59th.eu
  • Nick: 59th LtCol
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 08:46:56 pm »
I'd urge people to remember that custom facial features will impact performance rather heavily on clients (having to render in each unique face etc) the reason M&B was able to do it was due to how basic the game was in terms of graphics and it had years and years of optimisation put into it to make everything run smoothly.

I'd suggest maybe a select number of preset heads that people can select from?

Side note,

If people want NW then go play NW but Holdfast is trying to do different things and a lot of the stuff they've done different is amazing, the shooting is one example of this, an actual good shooting mechanic which isn't complete RNG makes shooting have more impact into gameplay, sure the melee isn't the best right now but that can be improved on over time.

Holdfast has so many more opportunities and possibilities due to it being in unity engine, sure the engine has had some hate on it over the years but when it's used correctly and time is put into games on it the outcome is amazing. I can't wait to see what AGS does next with this game as they continue to push updates, this engine upgrade should be very interesting to say the least.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:52:07 pm by Pierre »

Offline J. Campbell

• Standing Officer
  • Lieutenant Colonel, 74th Campbell Highlanders
  • Nick: John Campbell
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 08:53:56 pm »
I'd urge people to remember that custom facial features will impact performance rather heavily on clients (having to render in each unique face etc) the reason M&B was able to do it was due to how basic the game was in terms of graphics and it had years and years of optimisation put into it to make everything run smoothly.

Side note,

If people want NW then go play NW but Holdfast is trying to do different things and a lot of the stuff they've done different is amazing, the shooting is one example of this, an actual good shooting mechanic which isn't complete RNG makes shooting have more impact into gameplay, sure the melee isn't the best right now but that can be improved on over time.

Holdfast has so many more opportunities and possibilities due to it being in unity engine, sure the engine has had some hate on it over the years but when it's used correctly and time is put into games on it the outcome is amazing. I can't wait to see what AGS does next with this game as they continue to push updates, this engine upgrade should be very interesting to say the least.
I don't believe the facial features will have as big of an impact as you think it will.

Offline NiPhix

• Chaplain
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 10:38:43 pm »

Side note,

Completely agreed. Creating such faces is not something that would hold me back from playing this graphical masterpiece of a Napoleonic Game.

Online Pierre

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
  • Lua & Media Freelancer
    • 59th.eu
  • Nick: 59th LtCol
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 07:22:49 pm »
I don't believe the facial features will have as big of an impact as you think it will.

I've spoken to both Refleax and the programmers and both of told me that it would have a impact in performance, having to render out somebodys face everytime they join the server or they're in your render view quite obviously would be heavy on performance.

Offline Jean-Baptiste

• Regiment Leaders
  • Chaplain
  • 89e COL | AGS/HCL Admin
  • Faction: French Empire
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 05:34:29 am »
I personally feel like this feature isn't worth hurting performance (or honestly, the devs time).

I know plenty of people disagree, but I think there are more important things to work on.

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 05:44:58 am »
I personally feel like this feature isn't worth hurting performance (or honestly, the devs time).

I know plenty of people disagree, but I think there are more important things to work on.
Yeah, but further down the line closer (or after) full release, this is something I would like.