Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Host Your Own Game Server! - Documentation  (Read 5574 times)

Offline Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Purser
  • May good health be yours!
    • Holdfast: NaW
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Refleax
Host Your Own Game Server! - Documentation
« on: September 21, 2017, 07:26:01 pm »

Documentation on how to host a server can be found below. It will be updated as we push updates towards the game.

View Documentation - Holdfast: NaW Server Documentation v2

Server Tips

Your Server Is Experiencing Latency Issues
Take note of the following points if the server you are hosting is experiencing latency issues.

- Take note of the following:
1) Make sure that your CPU has a core speed of at least 3.6 GHz and that you’re not exceeding your bandwidth. You should also run your game server on a single physical and logical core.

2) Make sure that your server box's 'Power Options' are set to 'High Performance'. By default, this is set to 'Balanced'. Please change this!

3) Make sure that you have the latest Windows updates installed on your machine. This is very important.

4) Make sure that you follow the folder structure as defined in the documentation. Copy over the ‘holdfast_naw_public_servers’ folder over to your root drive then include the contents of the game from Steam in the ‘holdfast_naw_public_server’ folder.

5) Make sure that you properly allow the game ports from your firewall (outbound and inbound) on UDP.

6) Don’t rename the ‘Holdfast NaW.exe’ executable.

7) Don’t switch between Naval and Army based game modes.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:58:15 pm by Refleax »

Facebook     |        Twitter     |        Community Discord

Offline Gatts

• Purser
  • no one will provoke me with impunity
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: 4e | Lucas Noir
Re: Host Your Own Game Server! - Documentation
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 10:26:32 am »
When I'm running batch file, it runs for 2 secs than shuts down, why this could be?

Offline Captain Conner

• Petty Officer
  • Lead Developer at Oasis Hosting
    • Oasis Hosting
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Captain_Conner
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 11:19:13 am »
When I'm running batch file, it runs for 2 secs than shuts down, why this could be?

Incorrect file paths.

If you can not figure it out, we host servers for less than 1.50 EUR /month all over the world. Check out http://www.oasis-hosting.net/gameservers/holdfastnaw
Looking for an affordable game server? Look no further.

Offline Felix Buxton

• Midshipman's Mate
  • ArcticServers.co.uk Rep.
    • Arctic Servers (.co.uk)
  • Nick: Felix
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 04:56:42 pm »

Add me on steam if you're still having issues with this, I'll happily get it sorted for you. Be sure to check if you have the correct .NET Framework which is required, link for it can be found in the documentation under step 1, especially if you're using Windows Server 2008. If you're using 2012 then you shouldn't need to take this step as it's included with the OS.
From there if you have the server located somewhere other than 'C:/holdfast_naw_public_servers/' then you'll have to open each start .bat file with a text editor (Example: start_server1_armybattlefield_headless.bat) and edit the file path in the three areas it's included, I've written an example below you will just need to replace the '<FilePathHere>' with your directories path.

Example:
Code: [Select]
start "vapuriloadtester.exe" /affinity 3 "C:\<FilePathHere>\vapuriloadtester.exe" -s --serverConfigFilePath "serverconfig_server1_armybattlefield.txt" --outputLog "C:\<FilePathHere>\logs_output\outputlog_server1_armybattlefield.txt" --logArchivesDirectory "C:\<FilePathHere>\logs_archive" --framerate 60 --serverheadless

Complete Example:
Code: [Select]
start "vapuriloadtester.exe" /affinity 3 "C:\Users\Example\Holdfast\vapuriloadtester.exe" -s --serverConfigFilePath "serverconfig_server1_armybattlefield.txt" --outputLog "C:\Users\Example\Holdfast\logs_output\outputlog_server1_armybattlefield.txt" --logArchivesDirectory "C:\Users\Example\Holdfast\logs_archive" --framerate 60 --serverheadless

If the issue still persists add me or send me a PM and I'll happily help resolve the issue for you. And if anyone out there is using a Linux distribution and having issues you can also contact me if you want guidance on getting it running.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 05:00:42 pm by Felix Buxton »

Offline Blackburn

• Ordinary Seaman
    • Ejército de Castilla
  • Nick: 7ArtM_Blackburn
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 08:57:05 pm »

I was copying the "Holdfast Nations At War" folder instead of its contents. Hope it helps.

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 03:08:44 pm by Blackburn »

Offline Hadrian

• Petty Officer
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 09:34:58 pm »
Cheers! Thanks for the detailed guide. Awesome that you guys obviously put a lot of effort into documentation as that'll certainly make sure it's picked up by the community faster.

Just a couple things from the guide I've noticed so far that you may want to consider putting in the guide:
  • When using SteamCMD to download the files, Holdfast's Steam AppID is 589290. Would probably be helpful for some users.
  • Secondly, there's a small typo in "Server Password" section, the example says "server_admin_password" instead of "server_password"

I can write up instructions on how to use the SteamCMD to download/update the files if it'd be helpful.  And I can come up with a guide to install on linux as well if that's not currently being worked yet.

Offline Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Purser
  • May good health be yours!
    • Holdfast: NaW
  • Nick: Refleax
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 11:19:39 pm »
Cheers! Thanks for the detailed guide. Awesome that you guys obviously put a lot of effort into documentation as that'll certainly make sure it's picked up by the community faster.

Just a couple things from the guide I've noticed so far that you may want to consider putting in the guide:
  • When using SteamCMD to download the files, Holdfast's Steam AppID is 589290. Would probably be helpful for some users.
  • Secondly, there's a small typo in "Server Password" section, the example says "server_admin_password" instead of "server_password"

I can write up instructions on how to use the SteamCMD to download/update the files if it'd be helpful.  And I can come up with a guide to install on linux as well if that's not currently being worked yet.

I'll look into that, thanks!

Facebook     |        Twitter     |        Community Discord

Offline General Shepherd

• Lieutenant
  • Peace at Home, Peace in the World
    • Steam
  • Nick: Lt.Gen Shepherd
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 12:42:15 am »
I think a professional server installation guide is required for videos

Offline Walki

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Master's Mate
  • Creator of Things
    • 51st Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: Walki
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 02:41:32 am »
Hey, guide is good, but I also got some comments:

• Obviously not at high priority for you guys, but could you please create a Linux server build? Wine is powerful, but really doesn't like 64bit .NET 4.5.2 exes
  • Another Linux comment: You are using a free version of dropbox (As of Oct 3, 2016, dl=1 no longer works for the Free tier users), which means you people can't directly download from it using curl or wget in terminals (bad for server admins and automatisation)
  • Paths in the .bat files are not relative
  • Any chance of getting the dedicated server as a separate appid? (So it's easier to maintain, also would get rid of needing to having to login with your Steamaccount)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 02:43:35 am by Walki »

+++++++++++++[>++++>+<<-]>.--.>---.

Offline Captain Conner

• Petty Officer
  • Lead Developer at Oasis Hosting
    • Oasis Hosting
  • Nick: Captain_Conner
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 07:53:46 am »
Hey, guide is good, but I also got some comments:

• Obviously not at high priority for you guys, but could you please create a Linux server build? Wine is powerful, but really doesn't like 64bit .NET 4.5.2 exes
  • Another Linux comment: You are using a free version of dropbox (As of Oct 3, 2016, dl=1 no longer works for the Free tier users), which means you people can't directly download from it using curl or wget in terminals (bad for server admins and automatisation)
  • Paths in the .bat files are not relative
  • Any chance of getting the dedicated server as a separate appid? (So it's easier to maintain, also would get rid of needing to having to login with your Steamaccount)

Running Holdfast on Wine is not iffy at all. Feel free to read my guide on how to do it here: http://www.holdfastgame.com/forum/index.php?topic=2133.0
Looking for an affordable game server? Look no further.

Offline Walki

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Master's Mate
  • Creator of Things
    • 51st Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: Walki
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 09:28:58 am »
Huh. Bookmarked, thanks. I did try and run it via wine but instead of going over mono, I tried it using winetricks dotnet452. Which resulted in holdfast complaining about a missing mscoree.dll even though it was in the same directory as the game (also present in the .wine/windows/system32). (Should have put 2and2 together and remember that Unity uses the Mono framework D:). Totally frustrated at 3am, made this post and wiped my Docker Container :p.

I'll use your instructions now. Still would be nice to get a Linux build though.

+++++++++++++[>++++>+<<-]>.--.>---.

Offline Namelol

• Landsman
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 09:50:07 pm »
Are server is hoste by a company. We know how to use the server settings but we can't join server with the admin. Please help

Offline Jean-Baptiste

• Regiment Leaders
  • Chaplain
  • 89e COL | AGS/HCL Admin
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 10:42:49 pm »
Are server is hoste by a company. We know how to use the server settings but we can't join server with the admin. Please help

You should probably contact your server host to resolve this issue! I'm not sure how to help without more information anyway.

edit: Just found you on the Discord, I'll try to help there :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:52:13 pm by Jean-Baptiste »

Offline Archeyopteryx

• Landsman
  • Warband refugee
  • Nick: Arch
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 09:32:44 pm »
Everything is working except one thing. I cant join the server in the browser. Are there more ports like Steam that need to be opened on my router? I've opened the 20100 and 20101 ports on both my firewall (inbound and out) and my router. Is there another port I should be adding? Is there a reason I cant join?

Edit: Nvm, You need steams server ip, holdfast 20100 and 20101 all forwarded to you're the router.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:28:45 pm by Archeyopteryx »