Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Musical Improvements  (Read 407 times)

Offline Spork

• Able Seaman
  • 为人民服务 - Serve the People
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: SJWC Spork
Musical Improvements
« on: September 26, 2017, 04:08:30 pm »
I know music is not the most important part of the game, as it is merely aesthetic, and I have heard that it can be expensive to do, but as a musician here are my thoughts on the current state of Holdfast's musicians.

One flute and one drum sync together perfectly. It is wonderful. However, once you add another flute or another drum, the additional music is delayed. For the drums, it would be nice if more drums synced perfectly and increased the volume of their drumming, or perhaps change the sound file from that of one lone drum playing the song to one of multiple drums playing the same, which does sound different. For extra flutes or for the violins, it would be very much preferable to have additional harmony lines added when more join the same song; failing that, increased volume or the sound of multiple instruments playing the song would suffice.

Another thread brought this up but I would also like to see singing in this game. Not a separate singing musician unit, but simply the ability for any soldier to press his music key and sing a song while marching in single time, same as the musicians. If those could sync with the songs played by the musicians, that would be awesome. Local VOIP is an option but it doesn't seem that too many people know the words to these songs (but we could very easily learn these songs if our soldiers could sing them in-game). It wouldn't matter if it was a simple soldier's chant that changes to a louder group version when more people join, or if it sticks to the melody and harmony tracks are added, but it would be nice to put some words to the songs in a feature that doesn't add to server lag like VOIP currently does (unless you guys fixed that, hooray if you did).

As I said all of this is just aesthetic and not at all crucial to the game, but it would be lovely to see this after melee is improved, server lag spikes are eliminated, the regiment/crew system comes to fruition, and some more nations or at least more line infantry uniform variations are added.

Offline Charles Caldwell

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
  • Retired Founder of the SLRN [Naval Action]
  • Nick: [1st L KGL]
Re: Musical Improvements
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 05:37:16 pm »
+1

Offline Spork

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 05:50:45 pm »
I also forgot to mention, SEA SHANTIES for ship crew!

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
    • Steam Profile
  • Nick: James | Michael
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 05:54:21 pm »
Ive got something a bit better. Im am a musician as well, so lets just say I know my shit.

Music currently is OK and what is expected of the game in alpha. When you add drums and fifes to existing songs, you should be getting different harmonies, or octaves of the music. I do agree with you, I dont want the game with the current system on full release.

Also AGS yall made a big mistake with the violins. They all have songs that are a duet lol. For each violin playing you have two harmonies. If you listen closly to the violin music you can see what I mean.

Offline Rhys_Eng

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 12:28:12 am »
I agree with all points made, and i feel that the current tunes on the flute sound.. strange. Sometimes they don't hold the notes long enough and stuff.

Offline Jackson

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 01:28:59 am »
Also AGS yall made a big mistake with the violins. They all have songs that are a duet lol. For each violin playing you have two harmonies. If you listen closly to the violin music you can see what I mean.

They're all pieces for solo violin. Bach's Partita for Solo Violin No. 1, for example.

-Freelance character designer for Holdfast: Nations At War.

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
    • Steam Profile
  • Nick: James | Michael
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 01:48:06 am »

They're all pieces for solo violin. Bach's Partita for Solo Violin No. 1, for example.

all of them? I do think I recall one with two harmonies.

Wow, while im a band person did not expect that
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 02:31:58 am by Brock »

Offline Jackson

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman's Mate
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 03:27:33 am »
A good fiddler can get two or three independent lines of melody going at once.
-Freelance character designer for Holdfast: Nations At War.

Offline Rejenorst

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 05:53:14 am »
The reverb from the area of recording would also help in that regard or at least amplify the difference.

Offline Dark_Knight

• Regiment Leaders
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Darkiii
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 10:38:58 am »
I would suggest to make any fighter/people able to sing with musicians, as chorus!

Offline WOnka

• Landsman
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 07:39:06 pm »
I agree with all points made, and i feel that the current tunes on the flute sound.. strange. Sometimes they don't hold the notes long enough and stuff.

I fife & pipe in the real world. The tunes on fife are too short / choppy and abrupt. Almost PC generated. Even the embellishments in "British Grenadiers" are off.

Offline kaboki

• Standing Officer
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 08:52:14 pm »
The tool to get singing in the game is already there, proximety chat. Played one day on a server and there was this guy who knew how to sing all the songs in the game, so he sang with the musicians, it was awsome... So too the musicians playing the game, get your voice out there if you can sing....

Also been in naval battles where people sang sea shanties while we sailed to face the enemy, great stuff.. 8)

I dont want individual soldier have a song button with different songs, we have enough problems already with 3 musicians playing different tunes when standing together, imagine 50 people putting on different songs.....
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 09:19:08 pm by kaboki »

Offline Spork

• Able Seaman
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 10:53:55 pm »
I heard a guy singing along with the songs his character was playing on the flute, only the voice chat was a second or so behind the song so I'd prefer if he would have foregone one or the other. People singing together over the internet will almost never work because of the delay. However, seeing how well the drums and fife sync, applying that same sync to an in-game singing track would be wonderful. That one guy who knows all the words, his voice is lagging behind the music, anyone trying to sing with him will then lag behind him, and timing is important in music.

Imagine 50 people using voice chat to sing different songs. Imagine 50 Magic Jukeboxes all playing different songs through VOIP. Now imagine 50 people actually want to sing the same song (many of whom probably don't know all the words or melody) and can do so with in-game singing that doesn't have a delay.

Offline kaboki

• Standing Officer
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 10:06:19 am »

Imagine 50 people using voice chat to sing different songs. Imagine 50 Magic Jukeboxes all playing different songs through VOIP. Now imagine 50 people actually want to sing the same song (many of whom probably don't know all the words or melody) and can do so with in-game singing that doesn't have a delay.

I dont even have to imagine that, its already happening and can happen if people start singing,,but we can mute em.... but if there is a song button on every soldier, how to stop it without turning off music..?

Didnt notice any delay when the guy sang in my session, he played flute and sang the songs... Maybe the guy you heard had a ping of 300+ wich is very common because the devs havent cappd the ping on their servers,,,

Offline 222bobafett

• Ordinary Seaman
  • 8th King's German Legion
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 04:41:46 pm »
I agree with the OP, Especially in regard to polishing up the sounds of multiple instruments playing in sync. I too play penny whistle and drums, and some of the fife tunes definitely have too much choppiness.

Also the drumroll being the first song for drums throws all the other songs out of order if you are used to playing as a fifer. Please put the drumroll as the last song, so the same songs are always in the same location on the song panel, whether you are playing as a drummer or as a fifer.

And finally, BAGPIPES! We want bagpipes!  ;D