Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Melee suggestions/idea's, come share them here!  (Read 5919 times)

Offline SK

• Master's Mate
  • SK, 92nd Edward MacKay
  • Faction: French Empire
Re: Melee suggestions/idea's, come share them here!
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 10:30:36 pm »
Chambers, blockchambers, kickblocks, kicks, holds, feints. Yes pls.

Offline NiPhix

• Chaplain
  • Owner of NIPEX - Graphics Design.
  • Nick: NIPEX
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 10:33:16 pm »
Oh and please don't make it so it is related to pings. Would be nice if everyone could use those tricks not depending on the pings but on the actual skill.

Offline Bluehawk

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • Faction: British Empire
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 02:45:27 am »
All aspects of combat are effected by ping, especially anything requiring precise timing.

Offline Viper

• Surgeon
  • Nick: Viper
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 08:51:08 am »
Just make the melee different variety is the spice of life  :)

Offline Andee

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Nick: 15e Recrue
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 01:54:15 am »
I like directional combat but not NW directional combat. While fluid and mechanically sounds, there is so many autistic things you can do to kill an opponent that makes no fucking sense in a realistic stand point. Such as, feinting, spamming, ridiculous speed at which your character moves while in combat, blocking while in the air, etc

Offline SK

• Master's Mate
  • SK, 92nd Edward MacKay
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 03:57:52 pm »
I like directional combat but not NW directional combat. While fluid and mechanically sounds, there is so many autistic things you can do to kill an opponent that makes no fucking sense in a realistic stand point. Such as, feinting, spamming, ridiculous speed at which your character moves while in combat, blocking while in the air, etc
That's what made NW so great imo, in terms of melee.

Obviously i don't mean the jump blocking and so on, and in terms of spamming in a high speed.

Good footwork helps my friend.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 04:03:05 pm by Stark »

Offline Andee

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Nick: 15e Recrue
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 07:20:00 pm »

Obviously i don't mean the jump blocking and so on, and in terms of spamming in a high speed.

NW melee is great. Just cut out the autism and you have perfection.

Offline Frittentime

• Able Seaman
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 04:35:34 pm »
11 days till release not a single melee video  :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline Knightmare

• Chaplain
  • paki
  • Nick: S.Williamson
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2017, 04:43:07 pm »
Remove the chambers and the game is all good ))))))))))))

Offline Frittentime

• Able Seaman
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2017, 04:56:14 pm »
Remove the chambers and the game is all good ))))))))))))
lol ?=????

Offline Garrel

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master
  • 27th | Captain
    • Neptune Designs
  • Nick: William Young
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 03:25:16 am »
To have the same melee features as NW.

Offline Brosse Gite

• Able Seaman
  • Un connard qui a des principes.
  • Nick: DayBoul
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 10:28:49 pm »
Although not many people like it, i think chambering (and block chambering maybe) like you have in M&B is good to have. Although it's not that popular because of how it works, it adds another dimension to the game beyond attacking and blocking. It allows players that have mastered those to go further into developing their skill and make sure that there's always more play styles and things that could catch you out in a fight.
I would like to see something more added towards blocking rather than what we have in the M&B franchise currently. I'm thinking of something similar to what Pugglesworth mentioned but have it so if you time your block well, as it works in real life how bringing power with your sword to block your opponent, would enable you to strike back like we're seeing in M&B. If you don't time it well however, as if you hold it up for too long/early you will get a swift stun, significant enough that you won't have the time to strike back (assuming your opponent knows what he's doing and immediately strikes again) and you will have to once again block only to look for that well timed block which won't stun you, so you can finally swing back and be the agressor. I think this would look more realistic and would probably also be more fun. M&B melee battles is silly in the way that the opponents take turns to swing at each other, block-swing-block-swing without any penalty or award for a "good block".

And no, I'm not refeering to parrying, that however should also be in the game to catch your opponent of guard, like in M&B.
Only suggestion/idea I have is not to copy/use/not rely on any M&B. We have "shit" ton of threads, posts like: gib mi mant end bleyd or M&B wasn't bad at all so let's use this or that solution.
Examples:
Will we lose our ability to fire our muskets if we go into the water like in.... NW?
This topic
The bad thing is 99% players on this forum are/were playing NW and mostly due to force of habit they want to have same gameplay here in Holdfast. Quick reminder of what we have in NW:
1. Chambers
2. Spinning/Rotations for speed bonus to attack.
3. "Feints" changing attack directions at light speed.By feinting you are abusing the mechanic which enables you to block in the middle of a stab
4. 2 sides for musket attack.
5. Using high mouse speed to get behind an opponent and stab in the back.
Now some about history:
1. The majority of bayonet attacks ended up with one side fleeing before any contact was made. There were bayonet attacks and charges but most of them wasn't a hand to hand cold steel combat. Mostly those were individual 1v1 or small group fights between soldiers than whole regiments.
2. Wounds made by sometimes up to 50cm !! bayonets weren't sliced but puncture. It's more than enough to pierce heart or other vital organs.
According to another sample taken (in 1762) in Invalides;
- 69 % of the wounded were wounded by musket balls
- 14 % by sabers
- 13 % by artillery
- 2 % by bayonets
It doesn't say that bayonets weren't used but they did not cause most of the disabilites. Why ? Because mostly those were lethal wounds ( pierced guts etc. [internal bleeding] ) or easy to heal like stabbed hand or leg ( Without hitting the artery ). Why 69% muskets? They were crushing bones, destroying whole parts of organs and bringing inside body material which caused infection. 3/4 Invalides had amputated limbs due to broken bones. 1 good stab will end opponents life.
3. Melee manuals show that officers from mostly upper class were taught how to fight duels not "Group Fights". Here you have 2 duels: 1st spades 2nd sabers form the most accurate movie about duels in 19th century.

4. In hand to hand combat soldiers were using any kind of weapon. move that could kill the enemy. Puncture strikes, butt bashes ( butt of the musket ) slices etc.
5. Most of the bayonet stabs were reflected not blocked ( you used your own musket to change the direction of enemies stab away from you and use his mass to stab him in the guts ), slices from Sabre briquets, swords or rifle/musket swings were blocked.

Not going to sticky this but thanks for posting it. While some of us did have input into the development of NW Holdfast and Anvil Studios are wholly independent entities. The game will be it's own animal and hopefully something fresh and enjoyable building on what we already know to work.
I hope they will make this historically accurate/realistic so you won't be still fighting with internal bleeding.
I totally agree with rutger

AGS doesn't aim to have a real-life simulator 100% historically accurate game.
From their own words : they want to create a a game on which they can build and support an active competitive scene.

Every single word in your post is against it.

And you said it yourself : "99% players on this forum are/were playing NW and mostly due to force of habit they want to have same gameplay here in Holdfast"
Why on earth should they even listen to you, then ? To satisfy the 0.004% players that think the same as you ? (as some people who aren't former NW players don't necessarly agree with you)

You want them to make the game as such, with an exact 69 % of woundeds by musket balls, 14% by sabers, 13% by artillery and 2% by bayonets ?
You also want them to add a hunger system ? a shit 'n piss system ?
And if you get stabbed without being treated afterwards, will you get tetanus ?
Why wouldn't they add a wife&kids system too, would be great.

If you want to play a real-life simulator game that has an absolut priority on virtual-reality experience rather than gameplay experience, go play a game that actually offers it. But not Holdfast.

Offline 17e l Pieter

• Ordinary Seaman
  • 17e_Col_Augusting_Friant
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 12:56:36 am »

I would like to see a melee system where the bayonet actually connects, animations are to be seen not just stumble forward to then stumble backwards and repeat.
For the sake of it all put some more resources into the Melee system of this game, NW remained succesful due to its simple to learn, hard to master combat system which really asked for some skill and effort to put into that game, which lead to so amazing tournaments and great fights ingame.

at this rate I dont see that happening in Holdfast which in my opinion will mean a good amount of competitive players will not bother to play the game, which will also make for a lacking competitive scene in this game.

Online Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Surgeon
  • May good health be yours!
    • Holdfast: NaW
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Refleax
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 01:24:55 am »
Hey! Thank you very much for your feedback. We'll continue working on melee combat both before and during Early Access. Improvements upon this core mechanic of the game are at the very top of our priority list. Do continue the discussion and tell us what we can improve.  :)

You can find a more informative reply on melee combat and our stance on it in the pre-release Q&A blog (1st Question):
Pre-release Q&A. Your most pressing questions

Facebook     |        Twitter     |        Community Discord

Offline Getty

• Head Server Administrator
  • Master's Mate
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 03:17:17 am »

NW melee is great. Just cut out the autism and you have perfection.
The melee, whilst still being worked on makes a lot more sense now. The devs will continue improving it through the development process so I am quite excited.