Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Cuirassiers - Armor and Helmets.  (Read 416 times)

Offline TheGreatDictator

• Landsman
  • Faction: Neutral
Cuirassiers - Armor and Helmets.
« on: March 21, 2017, 06:08:01 am »
Cuirassiers, kind of a big deal.

Spoiler
[close]

Most nations fielded cuirassiers, or other armored cavalry to some extent during the Napoleonic Wars.

My concern is whether or not these guys, often perceived as elites, will get the "oomf" that they deserve. Take the current leading game for Napoleonic Wars, the DLC for Mount and Blade; cuirasses and helmets are like paper. Now, of course, close range musket fire should punch through armor; but what of pistols, bayonets, swords, bludgeons, shrapnel, or even the stray musket shot at great range? Hell, even the tall leather cavalry boots offered a bit of protection to the exposed legs. Body armor and helmets still had niche effectiveness, which explains why it was still worn by heavy cavalry units even into the first World War, so I really hope that this game adequately represents that.

Of course, there is the concern of balance, but I wouldn't think it too hard. Bearing armor is taxing, and as such a cuirassier should not be able to catch up with a hussar. And, should a cuirassier find themselves dismounted, they would no doubt be slowed to a comparable crawl. Barring that, one could simply limit the amount of available armored cavalry, after all; steel armor and a well-bred horse capable of supporting the extra weight is expensive.

Just hoping the last of the knights in shining armor get the attention they deserve.

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Destraex

• Ordinary Seaman
Re: Cuirassiers - Armor and Helmets.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 12:46:59 pm »
I hate to break it to you. But cavalry, one of the three napoleonic basic combined land arms (infantry/cavalry/cannon) are to be completely ignored in this game.
They will not be in the release. A travesty and one which will probably stop me purchasing.

Offline Jelly

• Master's Mate
  • cry havoc and let slip the doggos of war
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 02:33:20 pm »
I hate to break it to you. But cavalry, one of the three napoleonic basic combined land arms (infantry/cavalry/cannon) are to be completely ignored in this game.
They will not be in the release. A travesty and one which will probably stop me purchasing.
at no point have the devs stated that cavalry will be "completely ignored"; they simply won't be in the first release. don't jump to conclusions.
🅱🅱🅱🅱🅱🅱🅱🅱🅱🅱🅱

Offline Destraex

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 03:09:01 pm »
Jelly. I am sorry. But if it's not in the release. It's not in the game and obviously not enough of a priority!!! I did not jump to any conclusions.
I said they will not be in the release, and they won't be!! Nothing untruthful or misleading about that. Only misleading thing is saying the devs have not completely ignored cavalry when their is absolutely no evidence cavalry will ever be in game currently.
The devs have said they "MAY" put cavalry in at some point, but at no point have I seen it promised. So you cannot currently say cavalry have not been ignored until we see evidence of them!! Because as it stands currently, they have been!!

Cavalry should be important enough to be included at release. Period. Or it aint Napoleonic really. Unless you can tell me of a battle without them?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 03:12:47 pm by Destraex »

Offline Jelly

• Master's Mate
  • cry havoc and let slip the doggos of war
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 03:20:35 pm »
obviously infantry and naval combat is the primary focus of the game, and so it is unlikely to see cavalry implemented in the early stages of the game's roadmap. still, i wouldn't rule it out completely; the devs are aware of the community's desire for cavalry to be implemented, and from what we've seen of the devs it looks likely that they would add it in, if it isn't too difficult to do so. also, in its current state the game looks like a world of fun, so don't be so quick to shun it simply because you cannot mount a horsie and whack other blokes with your stick.
🅱🅱🅱🅱🅱🅱🅱🅱🅱🅱🅱

Offline Destraex

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 03:43:10 pm »
Sorry Jelly but cavalry is my favourite napoleonic arm. I love the period in general. But even if I play other classes. Without cavalry infantry will feel hollow and so will gunners. I mean horses to limber and drag cannon?
This game does seem like it's focus is the sailing aspect with landings included. But historically landings were often chased away by... you guessed it... cavalry.

I could play a sailor on a ship and be content. But I have the game, naval action for that.

With no guarantee of cavalry I will keep watching... until their is. But until then. I can only make people who make posts like this gents aware that their quite natural assumption, that cavalry will be in a napoleonic game. Is false.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 03:45:13 pm by Destraex »

Offline Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Chaplain
  • May good health be yours!
    • Holdfast: NaW
  • Nick: Refleax
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 04:10:45 pm »
Hello, gents.

We will be releasing the game on Early Access this year so that we can gather direct feedback on a much larger scale and with it, shift our priorities towards new features and improvements to current ones the community wants most. At this stage, the game will still be under development.

Here's a response regarding cavalry I gave to Zahari a while back.

Awesome as alaways but... there is one question... Are you planning to add cav and if yes, when ?

Seeing as cavalry played a huge role in the Napoleonic Era, we’d very much like to have it in the game ourselves. We’ll be looking into cavalry after the game is out on Early Access. If you have any ideas or suggestions that relate to cavalry, go post on our feedback forum since that will help us plan ahead and gather more in-depth know-how of what the community would want to see from it.

So yes, it is all very much within our plans.

We will also be making our roadmap for the game publically available before the game is out on Early Access. The community will be involved in the decision as to which features are coded in first.

Keep the discussion going! We are listening. We're also on Discord if you'd like to hop in and have a chat with us.
https://discordapp.com/invite/XsHBUNs
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:33:54 pm by Refleax »

Facebook     |        Twitter     |        Community Discord

Offline Destraex

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 04:26:28 pm »
Good to see you are listening Releax. I may just join discord some time. When you have cavalry confirmed. :P
Because looking into cavalry is not even close to having it planned as a feature at this stage.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:11:37 pm by Destraex »

Offline Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Chaplain
  • May good health be yours!
    • Holdfast: NaW
  • Nick: Refleax
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 06:25:17 pm »
Good to see you are listening Refleax. I may just join discord some time.

Because looking into cavalry is not even close to having it planned as a feature at this stage.

We’re a small team and our time is very precious! We'll never look into something unless we plan on having it as a feature in the game.

The inclusion of cavalry is a part of our development roadmap for Holdfast: NaW. We will be working on cavalry after the game is out on Early Access.

Facebook     |        Twitter     |        Community Discord

Offline Nurdbot

• Petty Officer
  • Just another old snoddy
  • Faction: British Empire
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 07:04:14 pm »
Give them time to get to grips with Unity and see how many players can do most of the combined arms stuff they mentioned.

Honestly, this is better than them promising it as part of the games features then discovering it isn't possible at all. A pitfall many games in development tumble into.

Offline Destraex

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 05:01:28 pm »
Good to see you are listening Refleax. I may just join discord some time.

We’re a small team and our time is very precious! We'll never look into something unless we plan on having it as a feature in the game.

The inclusion of cavalry is a part of our development roadmap for Holdfast: NaW. We will be working on cavalry after the game is out on Early Access.

Excellent news. So before full release cavalry should be in?