Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: ♞ Cavalry Suggestions for Holdfast  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Cage

• Able Seaman
    • 8th King's Royal Hussars
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: 8th Hussars Cpt
Re: ♞ Cavalry Suggestions for Holdfast
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 11:18:05 am »
Spoiler
[close]

This is something I didn't think too much about. I still think that rearing should be in the game as it gives a lot of tactical depth, but definitely the Ctrl-J combination must be improved. And perhaps a longer cool-down time to make it less spammed? It'll be interesting to hear other's thoughts on this.

Spoiler
[close]

All feedback is welcome  :D If stamina is introduced it has to be with a lot of testing to ensure it doesn't take away a lovable simplistic nature, but rather only adding some depth as you said.

Spoiler
[close]

Whilst I certainly don't want heavy cav to be 'immobile turrets', they should have some maneuverable consequence due to their armour, so moving their sword side-to-side more slowly for example. It'll be definitely important, as you say, to ensure that there is balance between hussars and heavies so hussars can be faster and not run laps around heavies and that heavies can be tankier but not as maneuverable or as fast as hussars. I'm not saying they are totally unbalanced in NW, just this balance needs to be thought about when creating the dynamic combat system for cavalry in Holdfast. Good suggestion.

Offline Log1c

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Trying to become as a Legand!
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 12:59:50 pm »
should that be awesome !

Offline SwydeBarca

• Surgeon's Mate
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 03:45:08 pm »
All feedback is welcome  :D If stamina is introduced it has to be with a lot of testing to ensure it doesn't take away a lovable simplistic nature, but rather only adding some depth as you said.

Exactly. To be honest, I don't expect 80% of my suggestions to be implemented in the game. I'd rather have a few mechanics that are well balanced and well suited for the game, than see a flood of half-baked mechanics, essentially turning the game into a WoW clone.

And make sure horses don't awkwardly stop each others momentum and rear is something that only requires a single key to press, thanks!

Ye, that horse rearing thing was way too hard to do, especially in tough fights. Plus, having 1 key to press is easier to code than 2 ;) Definitely agree :D

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 01:04:26 am »
I also believe that cavalry should be lightly armed with some sort of sidearm that is limited to close quarter confrontations. Except for Dragoons who should be at least very mobile on foot in exchange for being perhaps the least effective with melee.

And on the same subject, the ability tie horses down and keep them stationary.

Offline Laalaa

• Landsman
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 12:36:17 am »
Hey. I think that cavalry is something like 'must be'. It makes game really interesting when you march with your line and enemy cavalry come and destroy your formation and kill every ppl( Im telling about my experience with NW ;)). I also think that horses should have ability to bump someone when they charging and when they bump him, he drops his weapon and have to take it from the ground. Have hope that they will be added soon :D. (Sorry for eventually mistakes, English is not my native language and Im still learn it)

Offline SwydeBarca

• Surgeon's Mate
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 02:25:51 am »
I also think that horses should have ability to bump someone when they charging and when they bump him, he drops his weapon and have to take it from the ground. Have hope that they will be added soon :D. (Sorry for eventually mistakes, English is not my native language and Im still learn it)

That's actually a pretty good idea, never thought of that before. It would also be mint if you could pick up the weapon while knocked down, to "roleplay" someone taking back their musket before getting back on their feet. Love that :D

Also, don't worry about mistakes. If the idea behind your phrase is clearly understandable, you could only use nouns and verbs and 50% of people won't even notice.

Offline Rivet

• Master's Mate
  • War Veteran
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Rivet
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 02:03:33 pm »
In my opinion first what Devs should to do when game come out is a add cavalry to the game. Why? Because this give us a more time to test. Third weapon of Napoleonic Wars must be in the game as soon as possible!

Offline Lorucas

• Master's Mate
  • 8th_Huss_VTrp // [DC] División Cántabra
  • Nick: Lorucas ♞
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 02:23:41 pm »
In my opinion first what Devs should to do when game come out is a add cavalry to the game. Why? Because this give us a more time to test. Third weapon of Napoleonic Wars must be in the game as soon as possible!

Im with you, we want to see the cavalry!  :'( :'(

Offline Garrel

• Master
  • 27th | Captain
    • Neptune Designs
  • Nick: William Young
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 04:02:21 pm »
I'm sure it'll be introduced soon, for sure. :)

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 04:07:20 pm »
I hope the NCO can also do minor farrier duties and can heal minor wounds at least once.

Oh and the cavalry version of standards, please have a special holster for them in the saddle so they aren't just tossed aside when combat begins too.

Offline Zahari

• Language Moderator
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 01:00:10 am »
Sergant as cav surgeon ? Intresting idea.

Offline Cage

• Able Seaman
    • 8th King's Royal Hussars
  • Nick: 8th Hussars Cpt
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2017, 12:07:25 am »

Pictures like these suggest things that wasn't present a lot in NW. Dragoons were seen as pretty irrelevant and there were never any hussars with short carbines. What might people want to make this a more substantial class in Holdfast, if at all? Of course noting that although just hussars with guns would be awesome, it'd be pretty overpowered.

Offline Rivet

• Master's Mate
  • War Veteran
  • Nick: Rivet
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2017, 09:55:26 am »

Pictures like these suggest things that wasn't present a lot in NW. Dragoons were seen as pretty irrelevant and there were never any hussars with short carbines. What might people want to make this a more substantial class in Holdfast, if at all? Of course noting that although just hussars with guns would be awesome, it'd be pretty overpowered.

In hussars regiments mainly elite companies used carabines, but units like Chasseur à cheval all used carabines. For dragon I would suggest adding a line infantry option. There were several instances where such solution was implemented with various effect.

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

look awesome
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2017, 05:21:20 pm »
I'd rather dragoons would be the best really at ground mobility and short range shooting, let them keep their horses as it adds some more tactical depth to the game.

Offline Andee

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Nick: 15e Recrue
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2017, 03:36:45 pm »
I'd rather dragoons would be the best really at ground mobility and short range shooting, let them keep their horses as it adds some more tactical depth to the game.

It's a shame dragoons were never quite practical in NW. I hope they will be more usable in HoldFast.