Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: ♞ Cavalry Suggestions for Holdfast  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
  • Faction: British Empire
Re: ♞ Cavalry Suggestions for Holdfast
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2017, 08:28:07 pm »
Oh and obviously we'd love it more if Cavalry was the Warband style seperate player model and horse. Please don't merge either into some unholy centaur!

Offline Andee

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: 15e Recrue
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2017, 01:45:06 am »
This is kind of off topic but I hope the bodies of horses and other soldiers are still a solid entity after death. It would make it interesting for cavalry and other units to maneuver around the bodies of downed horses and men.

Also, it would be nice for infantry bodies to be solid after death to make double ranks more effective. If that was the case, then a front man could take three or so rounds before hitting the ground further protecting the men behind him. That's not the case in NW which is really frustrating.

Offline SwydeBarca

• Surgeon's Mate
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 04:05:15 am »
This is kind of off topic but I hope the bodies of horses and other soldiers are still a solid entity after death. It would make it interesting for cavalry and other units to maneuver around the bodies of downed horses and men.

Also, it would be nice for infantry bodies to be solid after death to make double ranks more effective. If that was the case, then a front man could take three or so rounds before hitting the ground further protecting the men behind him. That's not the case in NW which is really frustrating.

Hear, hear. Would love to see this feature

Offline Rastignac

• Landsman
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 10:37:51 pm »
The biggest holdback in NW's cavalry realism, and thus the main field of improvement for Holdfast's, is the question of free horses left after their rider's been killed. The matter being complete randomness and irrevelance of what they do.

We're on Napoleonic battlefield. My comrade had his horse killed, but fortunately enough, I found him some other, roaming free. Perfect! Go get him, John! Oh, wait, there's an enemy who also lost his mount, also running towards this horse. Let me see... I'm sorry John, the enemy has shorter running distance towards this poor beast, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to slash it dead! It's just standing there, you see... it's not like I can just grab the reins and bring it over to you, even though I got to it before anybody else. Forgive me, poney! <slash> <stab> <rivers of blood>

That's NW. The amount of absurd situations involving stray horses is very high and most got used to their plain stupidity. Not to mention dismount-and-kill duel procedure.

How to improve:

- Allow players to take limited control over stray horses without mounting them. Could work same way the cannon-artillery horse in NW does: "connect" the supplimentary horse to your own (could restrain the fighting possibilities while on).
- Add "dispatch horse" option, so that when you decide to dismount and get rid of the horse, you can use it instead of murdering it. With such option activated, the horse should run to the edge of the map and once there, disappear, unless caught and "limbered' by another player on the way.
- Some natural behaviour: avoiding player characters around them, having their random movements while uncontrolled always in receding direction, so we don't get a random horse suddenly running through a infantry line and then stopping right beside them, as they shoot their muskets, acting all "hey, who's your regimental pet?! I really like that shooting noise, let me stand here and listen!" <stands by and listens, until stabbed dead with bayonets>

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2017, 12:11:32 am »
On the same subject of 'what we don't want from the warband dlc' since cavalry is confirmed now, If there is a 3rd person vanity camera can you angle it so the infantry player cannot use it to look directly behind himself. Having infantry players turning their head or scouting for cavalry would be a lot more fair.

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2017, 11:58:57 pm »
So we have the old DLC style free look in the alpha build of the game. I don't suppose you can consider making a server admin option to turn off or limit how said camera is used, because playing cavalry with such an option can be pretty hard to sneak up on people.

Offline Fixou

• Able Seaman
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2017, 10:44:35 am »
I'd rather dragoons would be the best really at ground mobility and short range shooting, let them keep their horses as it adds some more tactical depth to the game.

It's a shame dragoons were never quite practical in NW. I hope they will be more usable in HoldFast.
I hope the rules of FiC will removed to, because it's this rules which fuck up the dragon on NW

I agree so much like the system of chivalry?

Offline Lorucas

• Master's Mate
  • 8th_Huss_VTrp // [DC] División Cántabra
  • Nick: Lorucas ♞
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2017, 11:21:43 am »
I'd rather dragoons would be the best really at ground mobility and short range shooting, let them keep their horses as it adds some more tactical depth to the game.

It's a shame dragoons were never quite practical in NW. I hope they will be more usable in HoldFast.

Well i dont think so, i know some dragoons regiments on NW and i think the actual rules on it are perfect for the dragoons. I dont want a group of 10 dragoons shooting on charge around the map haha

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2017, 02:38:35 pm »
They should really just make it so so cavalry carbines and muskets and pistols have the shortest accuracy possible during movement so they are only good for close range hit and runs.

Keep them short to medium range, but you have to be stationary to fire them on foot for the best accuracy.

Offline Zahari

• Language Moderator
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2017, 04:18:13 pm »
How many cav units shall we have in the begining ? Keep in mind that we have around 20 classes on foot to choose now and that all cav regiments need to have their own officer, flag bearer, and trumpeter. I propose 3 units (4 classes per unit thats equal 12 in game cav classes). 1. Hussars, 2. Cuirassiers 3.Dragoons  or we can take chasseurs a cheval instead of hussars and they can act as hussars or dragoons depends on the rules and than as we have hussars and dragoons in one we can take lancers instead of the proper dragoons. Its easier with GB, 1.Scots Greys 2.Hussars 3.Light dragoons

Offline LurV

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2017, 04:33:48 pm »
Cavalry would be fun if the melee wasn't bad.

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2017, 05:03:26 pm »
I'd like a good mix of two of each type, Hussar, Lancers, Light Dragoons, Dragoons and Heavy Cavalry depending on the nation. One being a volunteer or regional varient and the other being a professional or elite regiment.

Cavalry would be fun if the melee wasn't bad.

You are aware a)this thread is concept discussion and suggestion and b)the current melee in the EARLY ACCESS ALPHA BUILD is not set in stone right? come on man suggest something worth reading.

Offline Cage

• Able Seaman
    • 8th King's Royal Hussars
  • Nick: 8th Hussars Cpt
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2017, 12:11:10 am »
suggest something worth reading.
^

Having played Holdfast a bit, I feel like the swing timing and it's fluid feel really needs to be considered. Skillful cav combat can't happen when an attack happens seconds after the click, which is the feel I got from the infantry combat. It'll be interesting to see the direction the guys take with that.

Offline Limbo

• Petty Officer
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2017, 02:00:52 am »
just a bit of semi wishful thinking here, but what about the effect of a square or even a small line of bayonets?

Offline Luke192

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Nick: [79thCH]Luke192
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2017, 04:13:24 am »
+1

Luke192 - Colour Serjeant, 79th "Queen's Own" Cameron Highlanders