Anvil Game Studios

Poll

Which mechanics would you like to see (may vote more than once)?

Dual Health Bars
Dual Stamina Bars
Injuries
None of the aboves

Author Topic: Health & Stamina  (Read 213 times)

Offline SwydeBarca

• Standing Officer
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
Health & Stamina
« on: August 29, 2017, 02:44:53 am »
I'm back with another huge post that nobody bothers to read. I think it would be interesting to have a health and stamina system similar to the one in Life is Feudal.

Dual Health/Stamina Bars

Basically, in LiF there are 2 bars for health and stamina: a soft one and a hard one. Each represent 2 scales of health and stamina.

Stamina

Soft: The soft stamina bar is the bar that is used whenever the players does an action, whether it is running, thrusting, etc.. It prevents players from sprinting indefinitely or spam attacks. It is refilled by the hard stamina bar when the player is doing nothing or walking (albeit more slowly than when standing still).

Hard: The hard stamina bar is used to refill the soft stamina bar. It has a much greater capacity than the soft bar and it refills slowly over time. It mostly relevant in the long term (like in line battles) and prevents from sprinting, waiting for their stamina to refill and then sprinting again and again (unlike Runescape).

I think any stamina system would be beneficial to the game. The soft stamina bar adds another easy to learn, hard to perfect skill to melee combat, as you need to conserve your stamina and try to tire your enemy out. I remember a big part of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare was dodging attacks and spamming light attacks on shield bearers to tire them out.

The hard stamina bar also adds another layer to leadership. You have to manage your regiment so that they are not too tired when close-quarter combat or the end of the round approaches. If there could be a debuff tied to the hard stamina, say -0.3% speed for every 1% of hard stamina lost, managing your hard stamina would be even more important.

Health

Soft: The soft health bar is the consciousness level. It gets depleted by blunt attacks (rifles butts, cavalry bump, etc..) and injuries such as bleeding. When you are out of soft hp, you are knocked out.

Hard: The hard health bar is your "normal" health bar. It gets depleted by any non-blunt attacks (bayonets, musket shots, etc.. ) and injuries such as bleeding. When you are out of hard hp, you die. :)

There are many things that could be done with the unconscious vs dead thing. Maybe dying costs more reinforcements than getting knocked out. Maybe if you are unconscious you get knocked down for 5ish seconds and then back up. It's simply more realistic and works well with the injury system.

Injuries

Injuries would be caused by any type of damages and have different debuffs.

Bleeding: Bleeding would cause the soft and hard hp to go down. If it doesn't get treated, the wounded will pass out and die.

Fractures/Wounds: Fractures (or wounds, fractures take some time to heal so wounds might be more realistic) would cause the player to move, attack, etc... more slowly. An untreated member is simply a burden for the party. He slows everyone down, and when it comes to fighting he is more vulnerable.

The injury system would work well with the surgeon class. Instead of simply healing the player directly, he would treat his injuries and allow him to recover more quickly. A surgeon can save your life, help the crew/regiment work at maximum efficiency and shorten the recovery time. Definitely a class that everyone would love to see :D

Online Andee

• Standing Officer
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: [3DM]Kpt. Andee
Re: Health & Stamina
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 02:51:19 am »
These are good ideas. Bleeding is a cool feature but in most video games it's just annoying because most of the time you need someone else to stop the bleeding.

Offline SwydeBarca

• Standing Officer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 02:55:37 am »
These are good ideas. Bleeding is a cool feature but in most video games it's just annoying because most of the time you need someone else to stop the bleeding.

Aye, it's annoying when no one takes bandages or doctor class. Maybe use the community's most used remedy, have it as an option :P

Offline Zahari

• Language Moderator
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 02:59:09 am »
Tbh, this features will be very annoying, I know what you mean but.. ehh.. where is realism in this when I cant make 10 attacks in a row ?
Stamina - definetly no
Injuries - thats interesting

EDIT devs want to keep game competetive and while injuries might be intresting it would kill the balance.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 03:02:55 am by Zahari »

Offline SwydeBarca

• Standing Officer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 03:09:43 am »
EDIT devs want to keep game competetive and while injuries might be intresting it would kill the balance.

Ye, I understand that feeling. I am trying to keep everything as skill-based as possible, but you really need a surgeon class for injuries.

As for stamina, you can make 10 attacks in a row if it helps. But if you are just spamming attacks for no purpose, you will be defeated pretty easily by a more skillful player that knows how when to attack.

Online Andee

• Standing Officer
  • Nick: [3DM]Kpt. Andee
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 05:24:45 am »
Tbh, this features will be very annoying, I know what you mean but.. ehh.. where is realism in this when I cant make 10 attacks in a row ?
Stamina - definetly no
Injuries - thats interesting

Why are you against the Stamina idea?

Online Exodus

• Chaplain
  • Major Jackson - 1st Royal Victoria Regiment
  • Nick: Louis Jackson
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 10:44:50 am »
I'm keen on stamina to move away from the one line zig zag like an idiot bullshit in NW. I'd more prefer to have walking across the battlefield with larger double ranked even lines, of course this comes down to the regiment itself but if the devs are able to properly implement a system to stop us from running all the time, that would be good.

An idea might be with water, you start off with however much and you have a canteen on your pouch. When you become thirsty you need to drink from your canteen allowing you to run and keep up the fight.

Offline Zahari

• Language Moderator
  • Master's Mate
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 11:10:43 am »
It will kill the balance. Maybe we can have stamina but from server side so admin could turn it off and on as he likes.

Offline SwydeBarca

• Standing Officer
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 03:38:18 pm »
I'm keen on stamina to move away from the one line zig zag like an idiot bullshit in NW. I'd more prefer to have walking across the battlefield with larger double ranked even lines, of course this comes down to the regiment itself but if the devs are able to properly implement a system to stop us from running all the time, that would be good.

An idea might be with water, you start off with however much and you have a canteen on your pouch. When you become thirsty you need to drink from your canteen allowing you to run and keep up the fight.

I like that idea. The only downside is that water can't regenerate, so you're pretty much doomed in longer fights. Maybe you can refill your canteen at a river or a supply wagon?

It will kill the balance. Maybe we can have stamina but from server side so admin could turn it off and on as he likes.

I'm sorry, but how is it killing balance? The point of stamina is that people don't spend all of their time running around and spamming attacks. If you walk when you don't have to run and time your attacks you will have no problem at all with stamina. In most games, if you aren't too aggressive your stamina is about 3/4 full all the time. It just makes the game more interesting since you also have to be wary of your stamina. 

Offline Stark

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Swede SK
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 06:32:08 pm »
Yeah please no.

Offline NiPhix

• Chaplain
  • Capitaine, 1er Fusiliers-Grenadiers.
  • Nick: Louis Lonchamp
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 07:07:14 pm »
If bleeding is going to be in the game then it is already ruined for me. I HATE it. I loved the ww1 mod for NW but then found out the bleeding. I quit playing just because of that.

Offline Stark

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Swede SK
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 07:26:49 pm »
If bleeding is going to be in the game then it is already ruined for me. I HATE it. I loved the ww1 mod for NW but then found out the bleeding. I quit playing just because of that.
I hope bleeding won't be in the game either, so shitty.

Online Garrel

• Purser
  • 27th | Lieutenant-Colonel
  • Nick: William Young
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 08:07:03 pm »
Same. ::)

Offline Harris1815

• Master's Mate
  • Sharpe Fan and Historian/Musician/Organist
  • Nick: Harris
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 08:13:11 pm »
They devs have already said in there last blog that bleeding will not be added unless huge community feedback. stamina is being worked on as of right now by them they said aswell.
Many people have already asked these questions and the devs answers are on those right now like this one:
http://www.holdfastgame.com/forum/index.php?topic=813.msg17132#msg17132
 and this:http://www.holdfastgame.com/forum/index.php?topic=1228.msg24323#msg24323

God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best  ~  Voltaire

Offline SwydeBarca

• Standing Officer
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 09:55:41 pm »
They devs have already said in there last blog that bleeding will not be added unless huge community feedback. stamina is being worked on as of right now by them they said aswell.
Many people have already asked these questions and the devs answers are on those right now like this one:
http://www.holdfastgame.com/forum/index.php?topic=813.msg17132#msg17132
 and this:http://www.holdfastgame.com/forum/index.php?topic=1228.msg24323#msg24323

Many thanks for the links :D