Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Map Concepts - Share with us your Ideas!  (Read 2690 times)

Offline Rycon

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • Faction: Neutral
Map Concepts - Share with us your Ideas!
« on: May 29, 2017, 03:09:21 pm »
If you have ideas for scenes that will work for a Napoleonic land based battle, then feel free to share them with us here.

We are trying our best to avoid feature creep so any more complicated scenes will be pushed back until after our Early Access release (otherwise it will take forever to get the game into your hands!). We feel that rushing things out will not do justice to our vision for Holdfast: NaW.

You can check out one of our Skirmish maps - Crosshills in the below developer blog:
Developer Blog 11 - Crosshills. Skirmish map and time of day

Some points to look out for when pitching a concept for a map:
  • Name your map.
  • Is your map concept specifically aimed at competitive, public play or both?
  • How are things going to play out gameplay wise?
  • How large is the map?
  • What is the environment going to be like?
  • Provide a top down overview of the map and additional imagery to get your point across.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 05:02:35 pm by Refleax »

Facebook     |        Twitter

Offline Spudgun

• Petty Officer
  • Faction: French Empire
Re: Map Concepts - Share with us your Ideas!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 03:19:03 pm »
Strangefields please
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4n1nJMC_kwDLM9-tm-zXjw

NOT the 63e Spudgun, there are two Spudguns

Offline McLovin

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Faction: British Empire
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 03:31:39 pm »
Those randomly generated maps that we had in Napoleonic Wars, I think, should be included in this game aswell.

Offline Harris1815

• Master's Mate
  • Sharpe Fan and Historian/Musician/Organist
  • Nick: Harris
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 03:45:49 pm »
Deep forest with ambush like setup for Britain or France Single dirt road maybe some fences thick forest. team 1 spawns at the beginning of road forms column and advances to take an objective. Team 2 spawns near forest and prepares for Ambush. p.s call it Ambush but not like the NW ambush
God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best  ~  Voltaire

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
    • Steam Profile
  • Nick: James | Michael
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 06:50:01 pm »
Deep forest with ambush like setup for Britain or France Single dirt road maybe some fences thick forest. team 1 spawns at the beginning of road forms column and advances to take an objective. Team 2 spawns near forest and prepares for Ambush. p.s call it Ambush but not like the NW ambush

God that map was terrible. The spawns were not even correct.

Offline Leaf

• Master's Mate
  • 84e Leaf
  • Nick: 84e_Com_Leaf
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 07:41:26 pm »
Hello, this map is meant for big number of players (150+) and competitive games between regiments.

Is your concept specifically aimed at competitive, public play or both? Competetive only.
How are things going to play out gameplay wise? Read below
How large is the map? Most likely as large as you can possible make it
What is the environment going to be like? Read below

My first idea with the map was to recreate some aspects of a map I played with 84e in M&B NW and Mount and musket, the map was the most fun I've personally had as it forced each team to move towards each other in big lines (like in real life) and not in a column to not be shot by artillery fire and get your whole line wiped, it created some great scenic battles wich is why I liked them so much. (this is the map and what happens if you move in a column
Spoiler
[close]
). I wanted to make that sort of RP battle whilst still making it more diverse/bigger and enabling some more strategic decisions then the old one you see in the video .

The Map
Spoiler
[close]
Map description
Each side start in a small fort with wooden walls from where they move out. A big open field in the middle where the battle is meant to take place. In the middle of the field there's a big farm with some light forest around it protecting it slightly from cannon fire from each side and its surrounded with a short stone wall on the North West and South East sides of it, there's also a possibility to flank it from the South in cover of the farm itself as well as the light forest surrounding it. The farm gives great view to the larger part of the battle field and should one team capture the farm and move some of its artillery there it can be used for some great flanking fire into the enemy line infantry. There is a narrow pass to the North East leading to each enemies flank. And a road with a clearing to the South leading to enemy flank.

How the map plays out

Winning condition: Take over the enemy base.

Respawn place: The Farm, Base

Having the farm the only place to respawn other then the base, forces each faction to put troops on the battlefield to make sure the enemy doesn't capture it, rather then everyone flanking on the sides of the map. The farm gives huge strategic advantage as well as saves time running back to base regrouping your regiment or having to move out from the base, sending a small flanking force or to can still help you take over the battlefield. However, to balance things out respawn time is increased should you choose to spawn at the farm.

There will also be a set number of lives for each soldier of each faction. Capturing the farm will give your factions soldiers 1 extra life. So for example, if France pushes back England to Englands wooden fort base and England with the help of fortification hold their stand and decide to push, they can then push France back and capture the farm each soldier get that extra life and a greater chance at taking a France that suffered big losses.

Should no one take the enemy fort within 60 minutes it's a draw. As in M&B NW competitive games usually take 60-80 minutes and you swap teams/map many times. This is meant to play out in that time without any swapping of teams, or possible only 1 time.
This was something I thought of in a short amount of time and it's just a suggestion/idea.

Important:
The exact way of how it plays out and the game mode is still very uncertain. But I do want to make sure that the main forces of each faction should play out on the big field in the middle with the farm. Whilst small flanking forces offer strategic decisions and help you win the battle.

Also, I did make an adjustment if you should judge the map to big.
Spoiler
[close]
Everything outside the red line goes away.Just take out the sides of it and it will still offer a great battle in the middle.

I will add more ideas/explanations as/if I think of them.

Suggestions are also very welcome!

Edit: Sorry for spelling errors, I'm sure it's still readable tho.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:53:02 pm by Leaf »

Offline Harris1815

• Master's Mate
  • Sharpe Fan and Historian/Musician/Organist
  • Nick: Harris
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 08:19:42 pm »

God that map was terrible. The spawns were not even correct.

My Favorite part of that map is the empty hill tops just desolate didn't even try to make it look better.
God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best  ~  Voltaire

Offline Pierre

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
  • Lua & Media Freelancer
    • 59th.eu
  • Nick: 59th Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 10:18:43 am »
Ruins - A Jungle / Desert Map
Ruins is both a competitive and public play map! It offers balanced spawns for either team and has a large focus on regiments working together holding or crossing the river parting each side!

The map will play out rather simply... Team 1 will down in a sloped area of the map in the upper right. This sloped start should balance the time it takes for each team to reach the river as team 1 spawns a little closer than team 2 does however it starts at a disadvantage of being down hill and not being able to see above the ridge line. Team 2 spawn on the far side of a large jungle swamp! The water is far too deep to cross so they must go round it! Placed on top of some raised ground are some artillery placements, these are positioned directly across from one another which should lead to some intense arty vs arty fights or if the artillery regiments are feeling a little more risky firing some shorts into the the lines of men that are scattered across the river bank, exposing themselves to be hit by the enemy teams arty but at a chance of killing lots of line infantry!  The artillery are positioned near the top of the map to force lines to fight on the middle / lower section of the battlefield. Crossing the river at the top will be a death sentence due to the artillery being able to stop any river crossing up there with a swift canister shot! Teams will fight to the death across the river, in ruins and in between jungle trees trying to out skirmish one another! The bodies of dead infantry will be littered up and down the river where brave men have made attempts to cross into enemy land!

The map size will be a medium sized map (more into the larger side of medium though) Hopefully this will keep the action fast and smooth whilst also stopping regiments from camping choke points (which there aren't many)

The environment will be fairly harsh... the humid heat and the jungle air will prove to be a task by their own... not to mention the piercing sand storm that tears through the jungle tree leaves and cuts into the infantry's uniforms! Infantry boots will get bogged down in quick sand and water holes where the ground below has flooded after years of erosion! Men will clamber their way to shade to escape from the scorching heat of the sun! Using any cover under trees or ruins!

Map Top Down View's

Example 1 (No Sandstorm)
Spoiler
[close]

Example 2 (Sandstorm)
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Exodus

• Chaplain
  • Major Jackson - 1st Royal Victoria Regiment
  • Nick: Louis Jackson
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 01:25:31 pm »

Offline Pugglesworth

• Petty Officer
  • 8th Kingsman, Friend to Everyone
  • Nick: Pugglesworth
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 06:48:59 am »
Those randomly generated maps that we had in Napoleonic Wars, I think, should be included in this game aswell.

Yes please. Even if there are a whole bunch of good competitive maps, strategies for conquering them can be memorized, while random maps force you to improvise.

But, if you tried to get a random desert in NW, sometimes it would give you Mount Everest (minus the snow). 12 times in a row. It would be nice if this would not happen.

If possible, being able to alter the parameters of map creation would be a huge help for event organizers (and attendees). Things such as max/min height, max difference between the highest and lowest points, and variation/noise would be great. Maybe even options for rivers (amount, width, depth), forests (map coverage, density, type), buildings (amount, type), perhaps the option to have artillery emplacements for each side (either actual guns set up with makeshift defenses or just nice flat areas where they may be set up). Also would be nice to be able to save the seed if you happen to generate a really neat map.

Or there could be three categories of random map: Tactical Infantry, Artillery Friendly, and Competitive
Tactical Infantry would provide the largest amount of variation in terrain (hopefully not too many impassable mountains) that would create both close-range engagements and long-range shootouts. This would be the best choice for public servers.
Artillery Friendly would have a clear, elevated section on each side with hills and vegetation dotting the middle of the map to provide some cover from artillery. Should also be somewhat cavalry-friendly too. This would be the best choice for large events.
Competitive would be somewhat symmetrical, to provide a balanced experience. There would be little vegetation and terrain variation, not providing a lot of cover except for some balanced strategic points intended to promote tense engagements. This would be the best choice for highly competitive events.

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
    • Steam Profile
  • Nick: James | Michael
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 11:06:45 pm »

Yes please. Even if there are a whole bunch of good competitive maps, strategies for conquering them can be memorized, while random maps force you to improvise.

But, if you tried to get a random desert in NW, sometimes it would give you Mount Everest (minus the snow). 12 times in a row. It would be nice if this would not happen.

If possible, being able to alter the parameters of map creation would be a huge help for event organizers (and attendees). Things such as max/min height, max difference between the highest and lowest points, and variation/noise would be great. Maybe even options for rivers (amount, width, depth), forests (map coverage, density, type), buildings (amount, type), perhaps the option to have artillery emplacements for each side (either actual guns set up with makeshift defenses or just nice flat areas where they may be set up). Also would be nice to be able to save the seed if you happen to generate a really neat map.

Or there could be three categories of random map: Tactical Infantry, Artillery Friendly, and Competitive
Tactical Infantry would provide the largest amount of variation in terrain (hopefully not too many impassable mountains) that would create both close-range engagements and long-range shootouts. This would be the best choice for public servers.
Artillery Friendly would have a clear, elevated section on each side with hills and vegetation dotting the middle of the map to provide some cover from artillery. Should also be somewhat cavalry-friendly too. This would be the best choice for large events.
Competitive would be somewhat symmetrical, to provide a balanced experience. There would be little vegetation and terrain variation, not providing a lot of cover except for some balanced strategic points intended to promote tense engagements. This would be the best choice for highly competitive events.

Do keep in mind The coding required for a random gen map is quite intensive. Everything for a good quality map has to be taken into account. Say you want building to spawn in a certain area of the map at a designated elevation. Lots of coding.

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 12:53:33 am »
I do hope we get a little more variety with terrain and location too. Fighting in some sort of swampy enviroment, as well a urban enviroment would be great!

Offline Coldstreamer

• Standing Officer
  • Cymbalist and Colonel of the 1stFG
  • Nick: Justin
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 04:56:29 pm »
HO this is my post oh yes!!  I have an image of a really cool fort on the water:  Yes..
 its from assasins creed, but its cool:
Spoiler
[close]
  This one is a real fort:
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Angela_Merkel

• Landsman
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 04:51:18 pm »
The battle of Czarnowo

This map is historicaly based on the battle of czarnowo, which was fought in the night between the 23th and 24th of december (nice christmas map) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Czarnowo
I made it on MB NW and its on the NWRP server.

Steam workshop: with pics
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=863950067

When I made this map I tryed to make it as accurate as possible.

This map is for 80-150 players

A problem might be that the town Pomiechowo is a bit too near to team 1; though on NWRP I have the feeling that it isn't a too big problem because the terrain makes it easy to attack it(mountains on the side and rear make it easier to flank and infront of it the terrain is a bit hilly [slightly, only max half a metre high]) .
Althoug the area is in real life pretty flat, i decided to make it a valley with because it looks good and the outer terrain of NW is ugly.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:28:12 am by Angela_Merkel »

Offline Leaf

• Master's Mate
  • 84e Leaf
  • Nick: 84e_Com_Leaf
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 10:46:23 pm »
https://gyazo.com/a2e735f44e53872e8ba71d11b7e52c7c Training map. Feel free to lave suggestions!