Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Morale System  (Read 741 times)

Offline Raider

• Petty Officer
  • 41e Regiment d'Infanterie/61e CvlV
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Raider
Re: Morale System
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 01:19:12 am »
Didn't NW have something like this where you had a medal on the top right hand corner of the screen where you got a buff.

Offline Bluehawk

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • Faction: British Empire
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2017, 01:46:45 am »
Holdfast has buffs too already, but they're displayed in the upper left. A complete morale system would need maluses to balance them out.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:01:26 am by Bluehawk »

Offline The Viscount Nelson

• Landsman
  • I am Lord Nelson. See, here's my fin.
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 03:53:36 am »
I'd really prefer a RO2 type-system where the camera loses colour and shakes when cannonballs and shot land near the player, in addition to lessened accuracy in this state and possibly less melee damage/speed.

I would rather like to avoid the horrors of war being placed upon the simulation. This fun, relatively historical interpretation of the Napeolonic Wars is splendidly shown in the perspective already granted us, and need not be darkened. The light atmosphere of the "simulation" promotes a light-hearted community around it. There comes a point where realism should never trump enjoyment, my dear slav.
England expects that every man will do his duty.

Offline The Viscount Nelson

• Landsman
  • I am Lord Nelson. See, here's my fin.
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 04:15:47 am »
Hey Guys,

Don't know if it has been brought up before but have you thought of any sort of implementation of Morale? Morale has always played a huge part of winning and losing battles. Simple implementations of morale systems can really unify a team or break an army. This encourages players to band together, using each class to their strengths. Players will be encouraged to form Battle Lines (feeding into community run regiments). This would also steer people away from the "Lone Wolf" mentality because they aren't getting any bonuses and will likely face an enemy receiving combat bonuses.

One of the ways that this system could be implemented would be to assign base morale values for each class and bonuses for being in proximity of other related classes.

//A rough idea for some classes - Just for morale (aura) bonuses//

Class   - Bonus Aura Radius   -     Effects        -
Officer -              15m           -   Reload (3%)                     
Line    -               5m             -   Melee Attack Speed (3%)   
Light   -              7m             -   Accuracy (+2%)                       
Rifle    -              6m             -   Damage falloff (-10%)           
Carp    -             15m            -   Structure Damage (+10%)     
Surg    -             7m              -   Health (+10%)                 
Fife     -             15m             -   Accuracy (+5%)             
Drum  -             15m             -   Accuracy (+5%)

What does it all mean?
This system can be very dynamic and customized to whatever you want it to do. This could mean that only other Line Infantry can receive your bonus is you want that or only riflemen and light infantry share bonuses. The world is yours. :P

What happens when someone dies next to you? -The Meat and Potatos-
Each player will keep track of variables that track the number, rate of death & type of players dying near you. In turn, the player will suffer a penalty based off of these variables. The easiest thing would be to make the penalty the inverse of the bonuses that class provides.

Imagine you find yourself in a large group of 20 Line Infantry, Officers and Musicians. While these support classes (officer/musicians) are alive, all players receive the bonuses they provide. Say, your line takes a volley and only loses 1 Line Infantryman. Every player within that bonus aura will now receive a small penalty for a very short amount of time. Now, say you take a volley and it kills 20% of the soldiers, officers and musicians in your proximity. Players receive a substantial penalty to (as mentioned in the table above) to their Reload speed, Melee Attack speed and Accuracy for a much longer time.

After your line has sustained very visible casualties, the enemy line can take advantage of this (still enjoying their bonuses) and obliterate the remainder of your line with far more ease than they would have been able to before.

How can this be implemented?
You already have the vast majority of the system built. Musicians/Flag bearers already grant players within their range a bonus. The positive bonuses can easily be applied to every class with only a few lines of code. Tracking living players within that vicinity may be slightly harder, but can in all honestly probably be done with A) Colliders B) Ray Cast C) Line Cast and a new class.

Notes -
Some amazing games out there use boring morale mechanics but because each soldier is controlled by a human in Holdfast, you can take a much deeper approach into team play. Games like Squad, CS: GO, Heroes of the Storm and countless others require team play. This brings the community together, allows new players to pick up the game faster and for players to focus on helping their teams rather than trying to lone wolf it for nothing.

I appreciate you guys reading this and hope you like my idea.
Thanks!

Ben

Certainly an interesting idea, though I'm unconvinced that players would enjoy being put at a disadvantage via coded de-buffs rather than pure skill. I prefer the naturally emerging tactics and strategy currently present within the simulation, and I shall provide an example so that you may better understand my meaning.

Say that a friendly line of infantry is flanked heavily from the rear, and takes heavy casualties; they have already been de-buffed in literal morale and physical strength by the slaughter of their fellow man; therefore, they retreat, and potentially grant themselves enough room to regroup and press a renewed attack. The tactics are used successfully by the enemy to destroy the friendly ranks, but the friendlies are de-buffed through action and mental processes rather than a passive de-buff mechanic. As such it is more fluid, and more fair, as the only thing separating the friendly line from victory or defeat is their own skill, rather than whether a passive de-buff manages to be inflicted upon them and hamper them to the point of utter annoyance.

Perhaps I am mistaken, and a coded de-buff of morale/accuracy/speed will promote more careful tactics all around, it won't become merely an obnoxious hazard to the player base, and it will most certainly add that apparently all-important realism some crave, despite natural occurrences creating realism (Run away, they just killed 15 of our 20 men!) through active player interaction. I do not believe that to be the case however.

Understand that combat provides its own stimuli that drastically affect player decision making on its own, and that de-buffs only harm a game, no matter what form they take.
England expects that every man will do his duty.

Offline RickReaper

• Petty Officer
  • The Drunken Irish
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Rick Reaper
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 04:32:10 pm »

Certainly an interesting idea, though I'm unconvinced that players would enjoy being put at a disadvantage via coded de-buffs rather than pure skill. I prefer the naturally emerging tactics and strategy currently present within the simulation, and I shall provide an example so that you may better understand my meaning.

Say that a friendly line of infantry is flanked heavily from the rear, and takes heavy casualties; they have already been de-buffed in literal morale and physical strength by the slaughter of their fellow man; therefore, they retreat, and potentially grant themselves enough room to regroup and press a renewed attack. The tactics are used successfully by the enemy to destroy the friendly ranks, but the friendlies are de-buffed through action and mental processes rather than a passive de-buff mechanic. As such it is more fluid, and more fair, as the only thing separating the friendly line from victory or defeat is their own skill, rather than whether a passive de-buff manages to be inflicted upon them and hamper them to the point of utter annoyance.

Perhaps I am mistaken, and a coded de-buff of morale/accuracy/speed will promote more careful tactics all around, it won't become merely an obnoxious hazard to the player base, and it will most certainly add that apparently all-important realism some crave, despite natural occurrences creating realism (Run away, they just killed 15 of our 20 men!) through active player interaction. I do not believe that to be the case however.

Understand that combat provides its own stimuli that drastically affect player decision making on its own, and that de-buffs only harm a game, no matter what form they take.
I totally agree with you.

I will add one thing to cover a point raised in this thread and thats supression. This is already in the game think about it, how many of you have been in a building and about to fire out of a window when that much incomming fire prevents you from going near the window ? I can give another example, when a friend and myself were skirmishing on a flank we attracted so much fire we were pinned behind a rock for about two minutes unable to do anything until the enemy got bored and we could make a run for it. So again for this there really is no need to add a mechanic to force this on a player.
Our army is composed of the scum of the earth - the mere scum of the earth.
Duke of Wellington

Offline Absol

• Able Seaman
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 11:52:21 pm »
Intel. It's not like ww2. People stood and delivered in lines. No high explosive artillery or automatic weapons. No men hiding everywhere because they are scared. When men break they simply run from the line. They don't really even need to see to shoot. Heck some musket armies of earlier periods even taught their soldiers to look away when pulling the trigger. I think we need moral but not suppression. Because suppression is contrary to units standing together and then running. Suppression keeps peoples heads down. This would make it impossible for a unit to fight or fight for prolonged periods. I may however be in favor of suppression mechanics for fire that came in quick successive volleys from another unit in line. Until one line breaks. But not the kind of suppression that forces men's heads down. But rather that contributes to moral forcing a retreat until your moral recovers.
XD scared men scared of artillery and automatic weapons lolxd

Seriously though, I think the buffs from musicians and flag bearers are good enough, comsidering we already have traits. The "lone wolf" playstyle isn't encouraged any more in this game than in other games. In a team game, no one will want to fight the entire enemy team by themselves, so there's no need to punish it further.
Please Ad The United States of America As Newsest Faction In Holdfast Nations At War

Offline Sir Keyser Soze

• Landsman
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 08:13:18 pm »
Blood & Gore when?

How terrifying would it be when your mate gets torn in half by a cannon ball?

No need to screw with stats, just add blood & gore. Need a damn good officer to hold a ragtag line together as blood starts to seep into and stain their souls

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:28:43 am by Sir Keyser Soze »

Offline Intel Guardian

• Midshipman's Mate
  • Not A Weeb
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Intel
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 09:44:36 pm »
Why do spoilers inside spoilers still break things.
The Fresh Emperor of France: In west Corsica born and raised, In the Tuileries Palace was where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' annexin' all cool and all, Shooting some Spaniards outside of the Madrid
When a couple of Austrians who were up to no good, Started invading allies in my neighborhood
I got in one little war and Britain got scared and said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Saint Helena."

Offline Absol

• Able Seaman
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 09:53:29 pm »
Blood & Gore when?

How terrifying would it be when your mate gets torn in half by a cannon ball?

No need to screw with stats, just add blood & gore. Need a damn good officer to hold a ragtag line together as blood starts to seep into and stain their souls

Spoiler
[close]
You've created a black hole aaaaaa
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:19:29 am by Refleax »
Please Ad The United States of America As Newsest Faction In Holdfast Nations At War

Offline Sir Keyser Soze

• Landsman
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 12:27:47 am »
You've created a black hole aaaaaa

WHAT HAVE I DONE. I HAVE MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE AHHHHHH