Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Server auto-mutes players who spam music using microphone.  (Read 625 times)

Offline Lord Blakeney

• Able Seaman
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Lord William
Server auto-mutes players who spam music using microphone.
« on: January 05, 2018, 11:44:54 pm »
Hearing people spamming music/Hitler speeches etc. is terribly annoying.

Although we have the option to manually mute players it would be good if the server would automatically disable a player's ability speak in game for the entire round when they have been manually muted by say 5+ players.

Having the server automatically mute people and for a significant amount of time should help to discourage it.

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
  • Nick: 61e Absol
Re: Server auto-mutes players who spam music using microphone.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 01:13:36 am »
Or you could just have admins be able to mute people, otherwise people could just attack people who they don't like to get them muted.

Offline johncage

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 04:36:45 am »
lol hitler speeches

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 05:01:27 pm »
It'd be nice to know that a few different options are planned for voice, like limiting to officers only or having some sort of 30 or 60 second limiter in pushing the VOIP button that forces the user to not spam would be very very much appreciated.

Offline Czechu

• Petty Officer
  • Gefreiter, 3. Pułk Piechoty Xięstwa Warszawskiego
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Czechu
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 05:19:40 pm »
I must disagree with you.

Of course, running "music players" are annoying but you cannot limit these players who are using VOIP properly.
The option like someone before said would be the best I think: 5+ mutes from players = auto-mute to the end of round
Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!
            |\
         _/]_\_
  ~~~"~~~~^~~

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 07:47:54 pm »
It'd be nice to know that a few different options are planned for voice, like limiting to officers only or having some sort of 30 or 60 second limiter in pushing the VOIP button that forces the user to not spam would be very very much appreciated.
Limiting VOIP in any way takes a lot of fun out of the game.

Of course, running "music players" are annoying but you cannot limit these players who are using VOIP properly.
The option like someone before said would be the best I think: 5+ mutes from players = auto-mute to the end of round
Then you could just get a group of 4 friends and run around muting people for fun.

Offline Czechu

• Petty Officer
  • Gefreiter, 3. Pułk Piechoty Xięstwa Warszawskiego
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Czechu
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 10:07:23 pm »

Then you could just get a group of 4 friends and run around muting people for fun.

Is it realy a fun for someone? But that is a good point - I didnt connsidered that.
Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!
            |\
         _/]_\_
  ~~~"~~~~^~~

Offline SirHenrySimmerson

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 12:42:10 am »
To be honest there is nothing you can do unless there is an admin or you manually mute someone.
On saying that maybe make it easier to find people by having different filter settings.
1. Currently Active
2. Most active
3. Players with Mic
4. Teams
5. etc There can be many different filter settings that can be added.

Having 5 or more people mute someone which then leads to auto mute can be bad. Also, it can depend on the number of people playing you could have 150 players having only 5 people mute you for a whole round seems very low as well.
1. People can be mean and just get friends together to mute people or just randomly get muted by players.
2. If there is an officer leading people and someone else wants to lead but no one follows him they can get people together to auto mute.
3. Some people just like to play without people shouting in there ear and thus mute them.

Limiting the speech of officers again I would disagree here as they will be leading people (Like I like to do).
1. If something unexpected happens and the officer now cannot speak it prevents him from leading men because he went over the limit seems a bit silly.
2. There is only one voice option for the officer so you would handicap the guy meant to be talking which would lead to other classes talking and taking command since they would not be limited.

An idea would be to have two voice settings for an officer a orders voice (current) and a normal voice (Everyone else) so if an officer (or captain) is talking to individuals not everyone could hear them.

Offline Lord Blakeney

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 05:37:23 pm »
It's great hearing some different ideas and points of view.

I can see how the 5+ mute until end of the round could be abused quite easily.

Is there no way for the server to recognise mic spam by how much a single player is using it over a given period?

Does anyone have any experience of how other games handle online mic spam?

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 02:55:31 am »

Is there no way for the server to recognise mic spam by how much a single player is using it over a given period?

Server admins should be able to mute people or there should be a 'poll to mute player x' button. Auto-muting people is just a bad idea all around.

Offline Lord Blakeney

• Able Seaman
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 11:36:54 pm »

Server admins should be able to mute people or there should be a 'poll to mute player x' button. Auto-muting people is just a bad idea all around.
Poll to mute could work if it was quick and easy for people to do and not easily abused.

The only problem I have found with "Vote for x" on servers of other games with lots of people is that the server often requires over a third to half of the total players to vote for anything to be enacted.

Then when the in-game "Vote for x" doesn't actually have any real effect on map voting/vote to kick/mute .....people just stop voting altogether and ignore it.

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 02:55:17 am »

Poll to mute could work if it was quick and easy for people to do and not easily abused.

The only problem I have found with "Vote for x" on servers of other games with lots of people is that the server often requires over a third to half of the total players to vote for anything to be enacted.

Then when the in-game "Vote for x" doesn't actually have any real effect on map voting/vote to kick/mute .....people just stop voting altogether and ignore it.
If the person's making such a big deal that a lot of people are annoyed and want them muted, they'll vote. Otherwise, people will just mute them themselves and it won't be their problem. If it becomes a big enough deal, than they will vote when they see a poll on that player.

Offline LueyHewis

• Standing Officer
  • Major of the 105th Regiment of Foot
    • 105th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 07:15:20 am »
Having the server automatically mute people and for a significant amount of time should help to discourage it.

But the game has to differentiate between people simply talking to each other and people abusing the ingame voice chat. I can't think of a way how this can work out, if I may be honest with you.
Steam-ProfileAdd Friend