Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: What about NCO's ?  (Read 822 times)

Offline Brock

• Surgeon
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
    • Steam Profile
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: James | Michael
Re: What about NCO's ?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 12:21:14 am »
I've always wished for proper NCO class.

And what could also be interesting that they would get the ability to have the Spontoon for some nations in addition to the musket or ability to choose it separately from the class selection.

British rank system was pretty similar to the used nowadays, chevrons displaying the rank. Regiments however had their own styles on the type of the badge but ranks themselves were standard.

Spoiler
[close]

Nice pics man, hard to find 'em these days.

Offline Spork

• Able Seaman
  • 为人民服务 - Serve the People
  • Nick: SJWC Spork
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 04:37:43 am »
I could see this being useful and relevant as an addition to the regiments/crews feature, where instead of a big long list of everyone and one leader, the leader gets to designate ranks to the soldiers in his regiment and those ranks are shown on the outfits in-game, or at the very least maybe an icon above or below the player's name when you look at them in-game.

It could also go the way of NW and North&South where there was a 'serjeant' unit who sometimes had slightly different equipment as well as a different look, but I think it would be a lot more easier for the devs and for players if the regiments/crews feature handled the rank distinctions, they wouldn't have to make whole new classes of units, just adding some slight changes to the uniforms to reflect rank. It could also serve to promote joining regiments, or at the very least starting small regiments with friends to get the ranks on their sleeves, which could then merge into bigger regiments if they wanted the full experience.

Actually, on the note of promoting joining big regiments as opposed to making small friend regiments, there could be player count requirements in order to give out in-game ranks: a regiment of 3 friends cannot have anyone higher than the rank of maybe corporal, and maybe you would need a total membership of 15 to be a captain, 25 to be major, etc. I mean people will still call themselves Colonel of the tiny 3 man line, but they won't have a spiffy in-game colonel's outfit (which should be really darn spiffy, yeah? Like engraved pistol and sword, huge peacock hat feathers level spiffy).

Offline Intel Guardian

• Midshipman's Mate
  • Not A Weeb
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Intel
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 09:17:10 am »
Nice pics man, hard to find 'em these days.

You can literally just look up 'napoleonic british ranks' on google images and it's the first result lol
The Fresh Emperor of France: In west Corsica born and raised, In the Tuileries Palace was where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' annexin' all cool and all, Shooting some Spaniards outside of the Madrid
When a couple of Austrians who were up to no good, Started invading allies in my neighborhood
I got in one little war and Britain got scared and said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Saint Helena."

Offline Caselius

• Master's Mate
  • Getting shot is my forte
  • Nick: [52nd] Sandford
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 04:47:53 pm »
You can literally just look up 'napoleonic british ranks' on google images and it's the first result lol

True, lazy bugger I am.

I got lots of links and information about the British organization and ranks, however most cover the complicated brevet, regimental and local ranks. (Bloody Majors being Brevet Colonels and proper Colonels being Generals  :D)

What goes for restricting the ranks of the regiments I would personally be against since there is a lot of kinds of regiments and people prefer different kinds depending on their style of play. Also what goes for ranks many regiments have different systems and they may use differing rank structures. There'll be always small regiments with 1 Colonel, 1 LtCol and 5 Serjeants but I would still be against having special classes restricted. And if going by full historical mode there will be huge oddities in the ranks such as the Colonels and what their position aside from Brevet Colonels was in the war.

Offline Tavi

• Petty Officer
  • Ensign of the 32nd Regiment
    • The 32nd Regiment
  • Nick: [32nd] Tavi
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 01:54:02 pm »
I wonder if it would be possible to then in that case also add some additional officer classes too? We have the flag bearers which are Ensigns and the infantry officers - at least for the British looks like a Major - Colonel. If there was a junior officer class for Lieutenants and Captains that would certainly tick my box  ;D
32nd Regiment of Foot - 20/01/2011

Offline Intel Guardian

• Midshipman's Mate
  • Not A Weeb
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Intel
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 02:41:12 pm »
Just don't use the flag as ensign lol
The Fresh Emperor of France: In west Corsica born and raised, In the Tuileries Palace was where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' annexin' all cool and all, Shooting some Spaniards outside of the Madrid
When a couple of Austrians who were up to no good, Started invading allies in my neighborhood
I got in one little war and Britain got scared and said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Saint Helena."

Offline Marceaux

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
  • Capitaine du 3ème Régiment de Grenadiers à Pied
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: 3eGren Cpt Marc
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 05:44:56 pm »
Yes we need more variation and choices with the units!

Offline Lecourbe

• Master's Mate
  • Par le fer quand le feu manque !
    • 61e Régiment
  • Nick: [61e] Lecourbe
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 10:23:04 am »
Up!

People who would have suggestions about the topic, don't hesitate to answer!

Offline RickReaper

• Petty Officer
  • The Drunken Irish
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Rick Reaper
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2017, 12:14:43 pm »
I could see this being useful and relevant as an addition to the regiments/crews feature, where instead of a big long list of everyone and one leader, the leader gets to designate ranks to the soldiers in his regiment and those ranks are shown on the outfits in-game, or at the very least maybe an icon above or below the player's name when you look at them in-game.

It could also go the way of NW and North&South where there was a 'serjeant' unit who sometimes had slightly different equipment as well as a different look, but I think it would be a lot more easier for the devs and for players if the regiments/crews feature handled the rank distinctions, they wouldn't have to make whole new classes of units, just adding some slight changes to the uniforms to reflect rank. It could also serve to promote joining regiments, or at the very least starting small regiments with friends to get the ranks on their sleeves, which could then merge into bigger regiments if they wanted the full experience.

Actually, on the note of promoting joining big regiments as opposed to making small friend regiments, there could be player count requirements in order to give out in-game ranks: a regiment of 3 friends cannot have anyone higher than the rank of maybe corporal, and maybe you would need a total membership of 15 to be a captain, 25 to be major, etc. I mean people will still call themselves Colonel of the tiny 3 man line, but they won't have a spiffy in-game colonel's outfit (which should be really darn spiffy, yeah? Like engraved pistol and sword, huge peacock hat feathers level spiffy).
I really like that idea just  with one tweak, when forming a regiment no matter the size they should be allowed one officer rank 2nd Lieutenat or Ensign
Our army is composed of the scum of the earth - the mere scum of the earth.
Duke of Wellington

Offline Faultier

• Petty Officer
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2017, 12:31:21 pm »
A NCO on the battlefield would be useful, especially in Linebattles. Imagine the Officer of the Line dies and another one has to command it. It's better to have a different looking NCO instead of an normal Soldier.

Offline Lecourbe

• Master's Mate
    • 61e Régiment
  • Nick: [61e] Lecourbe
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2017, 09:05:10 am »
A NCO on the battlefield would be useful, especially in Linebattles. Imagine the Officer of the Line dies and another one has to command it. It's better to have a different looking NCO instead of an normal Soldier.

On a public server, I've seen a guy playing officer, and leading a huge line of soldiers. It was really cool, but unfortunately, the line was so big that when he was giving the orders, not all of the players could hear the orders.
This is especially the NCO's job! Repeating louder the orders.

Offline Cameron Bush

• Landsman
  • |23rd|.Cpl.Cameron.Bush
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2017, 09:59:36 pm »
Good idea.

Offline Lecourbe

• Master's Mate
    • 61e Régiment