Anvil Game Studios

Poll

Ability to aim down the sights as well as have a cross-hair?

Aim down the sights + Crosshair
84 (55.3%)
Only Crosshair
19 (12.5%)
Only sights
48 (31.6%)
No Aiming down of the Sights
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 152

Author Topic: [Poll] Ability to aim down the sights  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Exodus

• Chaplain
  • Major Jackson - 1st Royal Victoria Regiment
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Louis Jackson
[Poll] Ability to aim down the sights
« on: July 12, 2017, 10:03:15 am »
Should we keep it vanilla like NW third person shooting

Example
[close]

or

Should we have the ability to aim down our sights?

Example
[close]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 01:24:30 pm by Exodus »

Offline Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Surgeon
  • May good health be yours!
    • Holdfast: NaW
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Refleax
Re: [Poll] Ability to aim down the sights
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 02:37:46 pm »
Hey,

You can already switch between third and first-person views within the game.

We’ve also been recently experimenting with the possibility to change the 1st person view camera to look down sights - We’ll most likely have to continue doing so during early access as well since it requires changes in animation.

Everyone’s welcome to voice their opinion about this.

Facebook     |        Twitter     |        Community Discord

Offline Jelly

• Midshipman's Mate
  • cry havoc and let slip the doggos of war
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 04:00:30 pm »
would be a good feature for the skirmishers, not so much for the regular foot-sloggers.

Offline Exodus

• Chaplain
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 02:05:06 am »
Pretty much 12 people wants sights compared to the 4 who only want crosshairs, interesting.

Offline CyanKeso

• Purser
  • Nick: Cyan
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 05:07:23 pm »
You can already switch between third and first-person views within the game.

We’ve also been recently experimenting with the possibility to change the 1st person view camera to look down sights - We’ll most likely have to continue doing so during early access as well since it requires changes in animation.
If we are going to be able to aim down the sights we need to keep in mind that most of the simple line infantry had muskets without iron sights or with 1 sight at the end for better overall aim. Most smooth bore muskets did not have sights. Rifled muskets, due to their longer range, were usually equipped with sights. The design and placement of these sights varied. For example, the U.S. Springfield Model 1861 musket used two flip up leaf sights, set for 300 and 500 yards, while the British Pattern 1853 Enfield used a flip up ladder sight, which was graduated from 100 to 900 yards in 100 yard increments (although realistically, hitting anything beyond 500 yards was mostly a matter of luck).

Offline Sir Kydric

• Petty Officer
  • "I order you not to die!"
  • Nick: Sir Kydric
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 12:10:14 am »
I think that will be wonderful! Honestly having the ironsights in first person is an amazing idea. Imagine, if you can make it so that it is a server option, if people are allowed to only look through First Person. Imagine reliving the time period in such an amazing way. Imagine all the regimental Linebattles when people get in a line and fire. It will be amazing. I support this fully.

Note: Making a server option available for only First Person View, then it could create some amazing servers and more historical hardcore events.

Offline Exodus

• Chaplain
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 11:24:42 pm »
Crazy to see how majority of the people don't want crosshairs anymore in favour of sights, I am for one the same!

Offline SwydeBarca

• Surgeon's Mate
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 05:36:02 pm »
I think that will be wonderful! Honestly having the ironsights in first person is an amazing idea. Imagine, if you can make it so that it is a server option, if people are allowed to only look through First Person. Imagine reliving the time period in such an amazing way. Imagine all the regimental Linebattles when people get in a line and fire. It will be amazing. I support this fully.

Note: Making a server option available for only First Person View, then it could create some amazing servers and more historical hardcore events.

Hear, hear

Offline Exodus

• Chaplain
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 01:28:13 am »
I think this deserves a bump!

Offline Sir Kydric

• Petty Officer
  • "I order you not to die!"
  • Nick: Sir Kydric
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 01:48:38 pm »
This not only deserves a bump. This is something amazing that must be seen. Aiming down the sights when in first person is one of the most amazing features I could come up with. Gosh, the line battles and the shooting would become freaking amazing. Like in War of Rights. Ah, please add this, it's too amazing.

Offline BigDawg

• Able Seaman
  • George_Fifth
  • Nick: George_Fifth
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 02:28:30 pm »
i would love to be able to look down the sight, i find it much easier to shoot people. I hope we do get this added into the game

Offline Starblazer

• Able Seaman
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: 63e_Gdm_Star
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 07:40:29 pm »
Seems reasonable to simply have sights in a first person view and maybe a crosshair in third person or something of that sorts

Offline Exodus

• Chaplain
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 09:42:18 am »
Seems reasonable to simply have sights in a first person view and maybe a crosshair in third person or something of that sorts
Agreed, also welcome to the forums bud

80% of people who have voted want sights ;)

Offline Jarebear

• Petty Officer
  • Founder of the 4th Brandenburg Fusilier Brigade
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 08:51:13 pm »
It would be great to have the option to look down sights. When in first-person, aiming down sights - which let's face it, on most military muskets of the time is simply a lead bead or blade-sight anyhow (save for rifles) - would seem natural and more realistic than a simple "fire and forget" system like we currently have in NW. This may be a positive for folks who are brand new to the prospect of trying a game centered around Napoleonic warfare, and it certainly would be more accessible to new players. Besides, if more merit is given to marksmanship in Holdfast with regards to ballistics and psychics (anything is better than RNG), which after speaking to Refleax seems to be the case, first-person ADS would seem to me to be an advantageous feature when taking into account the different modes of play that will take advantage of an ADS function.

Offline Absol

• Able Seaman
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 07:14:43 pm »

That would make cav fun. : D
But I do agree, that would be really cool.
Please Ad The United States of America As Newsest Faction In Holdfast Nations At War