Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Naval Combat  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Legion

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Faction: French Empire
Naval Combat
« on: January 25, 2017, 12:47:11 am »
What will naval combat be like in-game? And what are the different ship rates we could potentially see?

My wishlist for naval combat:

Wind: I hope to see wind modeled to a decent degree. I'd like to see various win directions and maybe even various win strengths.
I'd like the weather gage to have a real effect on battles.

Multiple ship rates: I'd like to see many different rates of ships including ships of the line. I love to see some 40-50 gun ships that we can duel with and maybe even some 1st rates.

I dont think it would be too hard to have large ships with alot of guns due to the artillery needing only one man (hopefully for ships anyways, for land I'd like it to need a little more)

If the servers can have at least 200 players then you could have 74 gun SoL fight it out in a duel or you could have multiple 20-30 gun ships in a fleet action.

Multiple types of shot:

grape: for raking the stern and for doing mass dmg to the crew after the ship is dmged.

round shot: just your regular shot for broadsides.

double shot: two round shot loaded in the cannon, it would have less range and accuracy but would do more dmg.

chain-shot: for dmging rigging and sails. Hopefully we will have the ability to take out the mast as well.

Fire: fire needs to be a thing on a thing, it should be deadly and maybe even cause an explosion if left unchecked.

Thats all I can think of for now, I'll add to the list if I think of anything else or if anyone else suggest something.

Offline Midnight

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master
  • Barely legal
  • Faction: Prussia
  • Nick: Midnight
Re: Naval Combat
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 06:51:55 am »
Judging by the trailer Naval Combat will be a thing. As for the specific details that will have to be told with time. I hopefully would like to see some of the ideas you mentioned as that would really make Naval Combat Immersive however it would require a full crew to operate. There should be some leniency as then if you wanted to play it with a few friends you wouldn't be able to.
Manager of the Regimental Information account. Contact me if you wish to help with the project.
If you need to contact me, add me on Steam.

Offline Legion

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 07:03:42 am »
Judging by the trailer Naval Combat will be a thing. As for the specific details that will have to be told with time. I hopefully would like to see some of the ideas you mentioned as that would really make Naval Combat Immersive however it would require a full crew to operate. There should be some leniency as then if you wanted to play it with a few friends you wouldn't be able to.

Thats why there should be multiple types of ships with different rates. Each rate has a different level of crew needed (but not required) to use it effectively.

If you just wanna play with some friends then you could take a small ship like a cutter or gun-boat. If you have a bigger crew you could take a frigate like a 5th or 4th rate, or maybe even a 1st rate (hopefully)

Offline Peter

• Ordinary Seaman
    • http://www.holdfastgame.com/
  • Faction: British Empire
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 09:33:09 am »
There will be a dev blog that will make you happy I think.
'Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.'
- Mark Lawrence

Offline Legion

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 03:50:31 pm »

Thats good to know :D

Offline AgentMWolf

• Master's Mate
  • What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: MadWolf
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 10:08:45 am »

I cant wait  ;D