Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: History students/graduates  (Read 4803 times)

Offline Eazy-E

• Master's Mate
  • E
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: 25th_Cpt_Eazy-E
History students/graduates
« on: February 21, 2017, 02:34:36 pm »
Does anyone have a degree in History? Or perhaps studying for one?
This seems like the kind of game that would attract historians.

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread to allow people to discuss their interests in academic history - perhaps there are even people who specifically study Napoleonic era history.

What is the focus of your degree, what do you like about it and how do you find it different from amateur history that you may have pursued as a hobby?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:41:57 pm by Eazy-E »

Offline Eazy-E

• Master's Mate
  • E
Re: History students/graduates
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 02:39:03 pm »
It has also occurred to me that there will be people applying for history courses too. Perhaps this thread could also be used for asking and answering any questions regarding applications etc.

Offline Jelly

• Midshipman's Mate
  • cry havoc and let slip the doggos of war
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 06:14:28 pm »
i'm in my first year studying history, it's pretty much a 50/50 split of interesting stuff or mind-numbingly boring crap (partly due to my poor choice of options), and because of this my attendance isn't always great lol

Offline Eazy-E

• Master's Mate
  • E
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 07:13:22 pm »
i'm in my first year studying history, it's pretty much a 50/50 split of interesting stuff or mind-numbingly boring crap (partly due to my poor choice of options), and because of this my attendance isn't always great lol

Yeah I'm in second year, and last year was like that for me. I had to take a certain number of credits in non-history subjects, and I picked them pretty poorly. What periods are you doing?

Offline Jelly

• Midshipman's Mate
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 07:52:40 pm »
this term i'm doing one module called 'europe 1861-1991: emancipation and subjugation', which is the interesting one; another called 'connections and cultures in a changing world, 1750 to the present', which is the dull module (apart from a couple of lectures on the east india company); the final module is 'people and places' which gave us a choice of several historical figures - choosing to study cecil rhodes and south africa (it's ok).

Offline Eazy-E

• Master's Mate
  • E
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 07:59:13 pm »
Those sound like they all complement each other quite well. I'm still deciding whether I prefer modern or ancient history and so my modules are really all over the place. Last year I did Rome from republic to empire and British history, they were both good. I also did the History of Christianity until 1453, which was surprisingly really good too. This year I'm doing US History, which is fantastic, and 20th century Scottish history, which is incredibly boring. Are you set on modern European/imperial history then?

Offline Jelly

• Midshipman's Mate
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 08:54:51 pm »
yeh i prefer early modern european history; i'm quite the eurocentric, despite the global history module attempting to move away from the euro-centralised view of world history (probably why i'm not the biggest fan of this module too).

Offline Eazy-E

• Master's Mate
  • E
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 10:02:25 pm »
The teaching at my uni is pretty eurocentric; I had even forgotten to mention that I did a course on Asian and African history last semester - the very fact that they are bunged together into one course is probably not a very good sign. I think I still prefer European history to world history but I think that's because I'm so used to it.

Offline Ribs

• Midshipman's Mate
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 01:32:10 pm »
I learnt about Hitler in year 10

Offline Mexican

• Landsman
  • yep
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 11:52:47 pm »
Remind me of what exactly anyone plans on doing with a degree in history? Unless you want to teach or write books all day I don't see the point.

Offline Eazy-E

• Master's Mate
  • E
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 12:11:22 am »
Remind me of what exactly anyone plans on doing with a degree in history? Unless you want to teach or write books all day I don't see the point.

Besides the case to be made for education for education's sake, you seem to be suggesting that a liberal arts degree isn't economically worthwhile; yet history is one of the most employable degrees if you actually go to a good university.

Offline Mexican

• Landsman
  • yep
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 01:56:19 am »

Besides the case to be made for education for education's sake, you seem to be suggesting that a liberal arts degree isn't economically worthwhile; yet history is one of the most employable degrees if you actually go to a good university.
Are you really going to look at a "top 12 list" on the telegraph as the basis for whether or not a bachelors in history is valuable? From what I read on this article, those who have a degree in history are employed and go into further education at a high rate (without a source mind you). This however doesn't mention what kind of job these graduates actually go into, they could work in a factory for all we know and it would count as being employed.

Offline Eazy-E

• Master's Mate
  • E
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 03:22:34 am »
I don't really want this thread to turn into an argument about whether or not a non-vocational degree is worth doing. Unless you want to work in a STEM field, a degree in any respected academic subject (history, philosophy, English lit) from a good university can get you a huge range of jobs that require general degrees. There's more to life than how much money you make, and it's a shame you don't seem to see that.

Offline LurV

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 04:50:38 am »
History major here. Graduated last year.

Offline Eazy-E

• Master's Mate
  • E
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 05:27:16 pm »
History major here. Graduated last year.

Did you enjoy your degree? What periods did you study?