Anvil Game Studios

Poll

Flogging for Roleplay when someone breaks the Crews Rules.

Yes Flogging - I can see the role play element in it.
No Flogging - Too extreme for a game.

Author Topic: Could Flogging as a punishment be added for Crews on board ships? Opinions?  (Read 338 times)

Offline Admiral. Thomas Cochrane

• Petty Officer
  • Born: 14/12/1775 - Lanarkshire,Scotland
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: The Sea Wolf
I'm not sure if it's too extreme, but I got the idea for when a person on a ship does something wrong and the Captain wants to give him a strike. You know with regiments or crews there be 3 strikes you're out of the regiment kinda system in place for when people break their rules. I just thought it would be cool in a roleplay sense that when someone would break the rules of a naval crew at least. That they could actually be punished in front of the crew by flogging. Imagine drums rolling in the background, men lined up, officers on top deck overseeing the punishment.

Maybe I'm way over my head, but it's an idea for when people break rules. It adds roleplay into it. Just ideas...  I'm curious to hear peoples opinions or even devs opinions.
Someone has to talk about this elephant in the room...

The Cat O'Nine Tails.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 04:20:16 am by Admiral. Thomas Cochrane »

Offline Harris1815

• Master's Mate
  • Sharpe Fan and Historian/Musician/Organist
  • Nick: Harris
well if they would add this, I would suggest Regiments do this in courtyards.
God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best  ~  Voltaire

Offline SwydeBarca

• Surgeon's Mate
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
To be honest, I don't really see any use for it in an actual battle. It's simply a waste of time and a distraction. And outside the battle, I really prefer pragmatic punishments instead of roleplay.

Offline Admiral. Thomas Cochrane

• Petty Officer
  • Born: 14/12/1775 - Lanarkshire,Scotland
  • Nick: The Sea Wolf
To be honest, I don't really see any use for it in an actual battle. It's simply a waste of time and a distraction. And outside the battle, I really prefer pragmatic punishments instead of roleplay.

Yes, you are right, but lots of regiments and crews will have their own training servers and this is where a punishment could take place. Because regiments and crews will use their private servers for lots of things from training to medals ceremony. Adding in this would be just adding another thing to the list that these regiments or crews would get up to on their own servers. I wouldn't expect to see it in battle because why would you punish someone amidst a battle.

Yours Sincerely,
                     Captian Cochrane.

Offline Karshaw

• Petty Officer
  • Nick: Karshaw
How about adding a starter rope? Give the Officer class an equip-able cane or knotted rope that they can use to kinda pause crew members / rankers. Something like a less than lethal ban hammer that could kick players off of whatever they are doing like cannons (add in a 1/2 second stun). Maybe take a very small amount of damage.

Offline Jackson

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • Faction: Neutral
A starter was used to make people work faster...
-Freelance character designer for Holdfast: Nations At War.

Offline Bluehawk

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman's Mate
I prefer the gauntlet; everyone participates and it's a great team-building exercise.

Offline cyberlegend

• Petty Officer
  • i do commissions msg me for my paypal

Yes, you are right, but lots of regiments and crews will have their own training servers and this is where a punishment could take place. Because regiments and crews will use their private servers for lots of things from training to medals ceremony. Adding in this would be just adding another thing to the list that these regiments or crews would get up to on their own servers. I wouldn't expect to see it in battle because why would you punish someone amidst a battle.

Yours Sincerely,
                     Captian Cochrane.

wtf

Offline Karshaw

• Petty Officer
  • Nick: Karshaw
A starter was used to make people work faster...

I understand, I just picked the term that best illustrated what I was trying to say. Thanks for the corrections tho.

Offline Xethos

• Petty Officer
  • Faction: Neutral
Flog would be a neat partizani-esque weapon
04:25:13 - [Cup_of_Tea] Hey Xethos! I bet you're a gentleman of less than reputable quality!

Offline SwydeBarca

• Surgeon's Mate
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
How about adding a starter rope? Give the Officer class an equip-able cane or knotted rope that they can use to kinda pause crew members / rankers. Something like a less than lethal ban hammer that could kick players off of whatever they are doing like cannons (add in a 1/2 second stun). Maybe take a very small amount of damage.

That's actually a pretty good idea. In a regiment, it would improve discipline by providing a genuinely annoying punishment, and on public servers the Captain can kick off cunts who steal all the cannons. +1