Should server admins have option to turn mini map on/off

Yes
20 (66.7%)
No
5 (16.7%)
There should be no mini map at all
5 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Mini map  (Read 273 times)

Offline AggofanCZ

• Able Seaman
  • 56e Regiment d'Infanterie de Ligne CZ/SK
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: AggofanCZ
Mini map
« on: September 14, 2017, 12:41:18 am »
I just watched few gameplay videos of Holdfast and I noticed, there will be mini map in bottom left corner. I hope there will be option for server admins to put mini map off, or on. Reason why I don't like this mini map idea is that, it absolutely kills any kind of surprise attacks and makes use of terrain completly useless.

Online Saga

• Regiment Leaders
  • Chaplain
  • I'm not your buddeh - guy!
    • 4th Regiment of Foot
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Henry Evans
Re: Mini map
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 12:54:28 am »
It would be nice if we can have a toggle button for full Hud and minimal Hud, and maybe another button to turn it off entirely as well.
Also having server admins be able to toggle everything for "realism" battles would be cool

Offline Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Surgeon
  • May good health be yours!
    • Holdfast: NaW
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Refleax
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 01:11:02 am »
I just watched few gameplay videos of Holdfast and I noticed, there will be mini map in bottom left corner. I hope there will be option for server admins to put mini map off, or on. Reason why I don't like this mini map idea is that, it absolutely kills any kind of surprise attacks and makes use of terrain completly useless.

Hey! We can certainly include a server side option. Right now, you can disable the entire minimap from your game settings.

Enemy players on the minimap can only be seen when they shoot with their firearm and it only lasts for a very short while. We're very open to change this of course.

Facebook     |        Twitter     |        Community Discord

Offline Galian

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Being fabulous is half the victory.
    • Ie Corps d'Armée Français CZ/SK
  • Nick: Koneko
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 10:43:39 am »

Hey! We can certainly include a server side option. Right now, you can disable the entire minimap from your game settings.

Enemy players on the minimap can only be seen when they shoot with their firearm and it only lasts for a very short while. We're very open to change this of course.

I agree......admins should have that option.  ;)  So you can not see even your teammates on the minimap.   

Offline AggofanCZ

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 01:56:45 pm »

I agree......admins should have that option.  ;)  So you can not see even your teammates on the minimap.

I completly agree with it.
I think it could work like, for example, in Red orchestra, where there are servers with "realistic" setting and more "arcade" settings. Or something like that. But I think just toggle button for server admins to turn mini map off for all players would be enough. Because nothing can be compared to that feeling, when you think that allied line is behind you to support you, but when you get into combat, you found yourself surrounded from all sides and your allied line is nowhere to be found. Then, when you lose all hope, friendly cavalry will appear to save you. At least, that is my experience from M&B:NW. :D

Offline LeClair

• Landsman
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 02:06:07 pm »
I don't see the point of a minimap, honestly.

But i do like Saga's idea of being able to completely toggle off/minimize the UI, so compromise can be found here.

Online Rivet

• Master's Mate
  • War Veteran
  • Nick: Rivet
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 02:12:06 pm »
Because nothing can be compared to that feeling, when you think that allied line is behind you to support you, but when you get into combat, you found yourself surrounded from all sides and your allied line is nowhere to be found. Then, when you lose all hope, friendly cavalry will appear to save you. At least, that is my experience from M&B:NW. :D

Offline Dark_Knight

• Regiment Leaders
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • Nick: Darkiii
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 02:37:47 pm »
Because nothing can be compared to that feeling, when you think that allied line is behind you to support you, but when you get into combat, you found yourself surrounded from all sides and your allied line is nowhere to be found. Then, when you lose all hope, friendly cavalry will appear to save you. At least, that is my experience from M&B:NW. :D

i never saw cavalry helping in time since 2011  :-X

Offline AggofanCZ

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 04:43:23 pm »

i never saw cavalry helping in time since 2011  :-X

You didn't saw old 66Pp cavalry in action. :D Sad how they ended. :/

Offline Dark_Knight

• Regiment Leaders
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • Nick: Darkiii
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 04:46:17 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

14pk was awesome too some memories are coming back  ;D

To continue about minimap, couldn't we have a geographical map with hills heights in different colors?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:48:58 pm by Dark_Knight »

Offline TomaHawkAU

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Faction: British Empire
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 06:35:59 am »
What about maps being an item for officers? I don't know if officers carried a map with them in real life on the battlefield so if they didnt dont worry about this idea but imagine having the ability to pull out a topographical map and be able to plan attacks by looking at terrain as well as being able to mark enemy positions and attempt to coordinate artillery, and then when your officer dies someone tries to go grab the map but they can't so you lose that sort of advantage. Perhaps the officer can "share" the map with people in the immediate vicinity so that he can talk over a plan together or something, idk, just an idea.

Offline JaviEspartano

• Standing Officer
  • Nick: JaviEspartano
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 09:03:53 pm »
What about maps being an item for officers? I don't know if officers carried a map with them in real life on the battlefield so if they didnt dont worry about this idea but imagine having the ability to pull out a topographical map and be able to plan attacks by looking at terrain as well as being able to mark enemy positions and attempt to coordinate artillery, and then when your officer dies someone tries to go grab the map but they can't so you lose that sort of advantage. Perhaps the officer can "share" the map with people in the immediate vicinity so that he can talk over a plan together or something, idk, just an idea.
That's a very good idea.