Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Two points about events and Game modes. *Same text as in the Game Modes thread*  (Read 87 times)

Offline AlekoTheGreek

• Petty Officer
  • Born in the year of the false spring.
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: AlekoTheGreek
(A wall of text follows, bare with me. Thank you :) ) (Expect some syntax or grammar errors)

So, there are a few things that have been going in my mind for a long while, some are indirectly related to Game Modes will others are actual game modes. I guess this is the best place to express myself.

Point One - Event variants (Indirectly Related to Game modes)

Since Holdfast is so focused on community private events (Line Battles etc) there should be in-game tools to support and enhance these very events. Trying to keep things as simple-effective as possible obviously.

Here are a few suggestion to support my first point:

This is probably pretty big in terms of work needed for implementation, but please take a look. Add an "Events Variant" on the server option, that is actually used for events. This variant can/should have the option to differentiate  each Regiment/Crew (In this instance Regiment/Crew = clan) by having different groups within each faction.

- (Simpler Implementation) These groups are a set amount by default (for example a max of 20 groups per side) which players of a specific regiment/crew can "Join" upon choosing their faction. In the simple version these groups have default names (e.g. A,B,C etc)

- (Enhanced Implementation) These groups can be named by the regiment leaders OR the admins - to avoid incidents of trolling- to make things even nicer. For example, one group is named 420th Regiment of Foot and another one 7734th Light Company or just plain and simple 2001st. It is up to the author.

- (Extra Sophisticated Implementation) The above, plus, the admin can assign group leaders to each group, which can in turn customise it. Maybe they can pick which class this group uses so people even get to pick their class, they just pick their group or maybe the group leader can change the name of the group. This third section is simply to add the option of customisation and it's fully speculative (Also, it makes my aforementioned wall of text even longer :P )

These groups can be displayed on the scoring screen or at the end of a round (Like the Verdun game for example). They also make the admins job easier finding rule breakers or anyone else for any other reason. Also they can be used for the Assault game mode, so that players of the same group spawn next to each other, with a short distance between them and other groups.

The first question everyone will have after reading my point will be: Why though? Here comes my second point!

Point Two - Game Modes
By using the "Event Variant" I explained above, a whole lot of new possibilities unlock for events and event game modes.

-Event Army Battle (Or combined arms if the network/game engine permits it). In this game mode, each team will have a set amount of reinforcements, which the other team has to deplete in order to win. Sounds like a death match doesn't it? Here is where the "Event Variant" server option comes in play. In this game mode whole groups spawn as a whole after an amount of seconds has been passed (set by the admin) after the ENTIRE group has been annihilated. Basically, the team is reinforced by whole Regiments or companies. This way the Line Battle aspect is not eliminated by constant random spawning of individuals, players actually get to play more while waiting less and you don't get the server lag and cluster of a traditional Battlefield-like conquest.

-Event Naval Battle. The existing naval battlefield game mode works as the normal version plus. Each ship is one group. After a ship is sunk and it's entire crew die, the group along with it's ship gets re-spawned (Delay set by the admin of course). Each team has a limited amount of vessel re-spawns per vessel class. (Set by admin). Positives are the same as with the Army Battle. More game play less waiting, without loosing the Organised event feel.

Many more game modes can emerge from this, i just wanted to point out the two most obvious examples. Maybe in the future I can come up with more. I just don't to express an idea until it has fully matured in my mind. I can obviously over complicated modes with Conquest flags and other stuff, but this will make things worse, and the point of this text is to improve things.

Obviously Event hosts can use the default game modes for their event while keeping the "Event Variant" Server option on.

I hope this reaches developers and raise their curiosity. Thank you all for going through it (if you did :) ).
See you amidst smoke and salt.
Ever revoked promises. Deliberate coincidences. All full of lies.

Offline SwydeBarca

• Surgeon's Mate
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
I don't really see a point in these gamemodes variants you suggested, but I like the idea of regiments and such. Maybe outside the match you can join your regiment, and in the match you can join different divisions in your clan. If your clan only contains 1 division everybody join Division 1, but if there are multiple divisions or you want to split your line people can join Division 1, Division 2, Division 3, etc..