Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Huge UI and some ideas  (Read 472 times)

Offline AggofanCZ

• Able Seaman
  • 56e Regiment d'Infanterie de Ligne CZ/SK
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: AggofanCZ
Huge UI and some ideas
« on: September 22, 2017, 02:45:14 am »
I will use this screenshot for demonstration.
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/875245159705254846/40C7D892B6ACDE8F4FA09520DD79C8967EF9AA91/

Upper left corner: Picture of soldier is completely unnecessary. HP bar could be much thinner.

Bottom left corner: More about mini map here: http://www.holdfastgame.com/forum/index.php?topic=1693.0

Upper right corner: Kill feed could be a half smaller, icons of soldiers are again completely unnecessary and that black/dark background takes more place of your monitor and feels quite unnatural. And last most important thing. It would be much better, if chat feed would be in bottom part of the monitor. When you are fighting, or shooting or just going forward, you are looking onto the upper part of your monitor, in front of your character. Upper part should be the most clear part, so the player could see as much as possible from terrain before him.

Bottom right corner: Chat width is fine, but its height could be again a half smaller and text could just blend off into the background, but that is just detail.

Last thing I want to say is, there should be some option in Option/settings menu, so that you could turn off unnecessary info like “how much damage you’ve done with melee”. Because you kill other players mostly with one or two hits, so it really doesn’t matter, how much damage you’ve done, but someone could want to see it, so I would put that into options menu for everyone to turn on or off as they wish.

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
  • Faction: British Empire
Re: Huge UI and some ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 03:53:18 am »
To add onto this I would like the button for melee mode to be a different colour compared to the button for ranged mode because during confusion of switching back and forth I got mixed up several times.

Perhaps make the melee mode background a nice bright silver grey? make the bayonet and musket icon bigger too.

Offline Marceaux

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Marcy
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 05:44:26 am »
I disagree. The mini map is great, and the chat box almost needs to be bigger.

Offline TheItalianoX

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 11:01:12 am »
I agree with all the points from AggofanCZ.

Offline Charles Caldwell

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
  • Retired Founder of the SLRN [Naval Action]
  • Nick: [1st L KGL]
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 11:50:56 am »
Would really like to see scaleable UI elements.... some Icons are just too big!

Offline TheItalianoX

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 12:18:37 pm »
Sure. I generally prefer a deeper view of the scenario than a huge UI. Some elements are unnecessary maybe as AggofanCZ said.

Offline James Brock

• Surgeon
  • Dedicated & Active Forum Poster - Anglophile
    • Steam Profile
  • Nick: James | Michael
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 06:08:20 pm »
I never ended up using the minimap. Quite useless in my opinion. Just takes up real estate. Glad you can take it off.