Anvil Game Studios

Poll

Should players be able to vote for maps?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Map Voting  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: 61e Absol
Re: Map Voting
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 03:24:21 am »
No, because only preferred maps will get played then. if majority of players rate a map 10/10, and a map 8/10, which one is likely to get more votes for most of the time. Now imagine there are 150 people all voting the same way. i promise you, if this is introduced, there will be some maps you may as well remove from the game.
If nobody wants to play a map, maybe that means that it's a bad map?

Online Saga

• Regiment Leaders
  • Post-Captain
  • Bite my shiny metal ass.
    • 4th Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: Henry Evans
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 11:02:19 pm »
I think the vote speaks for itself
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 03:20:51 am »
I like the idea of a selection screen coming up at the end of the game, like in CSGO or something, as opposed to it coming up in the middle. Often in games like Day of Defeat: Source I just press a random key to get the thing off of my screen.

Online Saga

• Regiment Leaders
  • Post-Captain
  • Bite my shiny metal ass.
    • 4th Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: Henry Evans
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 04:35:08 am »
I like the idea of a selection screen coming up at the end of the game, like in CSGO or something, as opposed to it coming up in the middle. Often in games like Day of Defeat: Source I just press a random key to get the thing off of my screen.
yes I think at the end would be best

Online Haybales

• Regiment Leaders
  • Purser
  • Official Server Administrator
    • 1st KRRC
  • Nick: Bailey
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 05:01:42 pm »
BUMP

Fort Winston is in the rotation like 6 times right now on Army Battlefield. Damn it, I liked the map but this is forced burnout.

I absolutely agree with Absol's opinion as posted below when it comes to "but we'll never see X map ever again..."

Maybe add a system where;
  • Vote option alternates between Plains/Non-Plains?
  • Map can't be played 2 times in a row
  • Map votes are locked and not random, forcing atleast X amount of maps to be played?

Right now, the rotation has Dutch Canals to Arendan River - that's two maps that generally speaking aren't the most enjoyable. 40 minutes of locked gameplay within the rotation where people aren't having much fun.

No, because only preferred maps will get played then. if majority of players rate a map 10/10, and a map 8/10, which one is likely to get more votes for most of the time. Now imagine there are 150 people all voting the same way. i promise you, if this is introduced, there will be some maps you may as well remove from the game.
If nobody wants to play a map, maybe that means that it's a bad map?

Offline Jinxy

• Ordinary Seaman
  • KRA Cavalry Captain and Lee
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 05:08:35 pm »
Spanish Farm, 24/7, 7 days a week

No other maps allowed

Offline [89e] LT Women Doctor

• Landsman
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 05:17:55 pm »
My Favorite map is Aredan river. I really don't like the idea of map voting it gives regiments too much power to control the game. Haybales you demonstrate this 3 times a week when you push the servers to switch from na to eu. That same power put to picking maps you will get rid of Aredan river my favorite map. Democracy is so screwed up because political parties don't bring that garbage into the game. When the game gets bigger regiments can have control of their personal servers and if people like the maps in their rotation that where they can choose to play. Public should be left alone.

Online Haybales

• Regiment Leaders
  • Purser
    • 1st KRRC
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 05:28:20 pm »
Haybales you demonstrate this 3 times a week when you push the servers to switch from na to eu.

Completely separate issue. Every day at 4:00pm BST; NA is the active server. I just move people back to EU for EU primetime, and then someone moves it to NA for NA primetime - why is that a problem at all?

As far as Regiments overthrowing votes; how many Regiments mass in public servers that much to make that an issue? Not many at all.

I think the general playerbase has a very vocal opinion about current maps - and that isn't just Regiments. I've played this game for 1,200 hours - and I'm pretty sure that Arendan River, Dutch Canals, Desert Plains and Snowy Plains II aren't very popular/liked.

Offline Jinxy

• Ordinary Seaman
  • KRA Cavalry Captain and Lee
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 05:36:21 pm »
My Favorite map is Aredan river.

I would rather uninstall the game every time arendan river came into the rotation, and then reinstall it again than play that map

Offline Marquis de Lafayette

• Petty Officer
  • Faction: French Empire
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 01:18:35 am »
Haybales you demonstrate this 3 times a week when you push the servers to switch from na to eu.

As far as Regiments overthrowing votes; how many Regiments mass in public servers that much to make that an issue? Not many at all.

Isn't the lack of regiments in public games the exact problem here, rather than the other way around? KRA is the only big regiment that tends to be out in force pubstomping, hence it'll be KRA (Haybales) who'll own the monopoly on map voting without any significant resistance to oppose your majority.

Right now, the rotation has Dutch Canals to Arendan River - that's two maps that generally speaking aren't the most enjoyable. 40 minutes of locked gameplay within the rotation where people aren't having much fun.

Also, unless this is a General pun, I don't know what you're on about. You're the only one who I've ever heard express a dislike for those maps, besides KRRC/KRA members who I only assume have been swayed by your opinion on the matter.

I think it's for the best to limit the amount of influence regiments has on the gameplay - especially when it affects other players. I do agree however that we've had quite enough of Fort Winston, and that there's no real reson for it to appear so frequently in the rotation now.

P.S. this would be Haybales before and after the introduction of map voting:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:25:05 am by Marquis de Lafayette »

Online Haybales

• Regiment Leaders
  • Purser
    • 1st KRRC
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 02:05:18 am »
Isn't the lack of regiments in public games the exact problem here, rather than the other way around?

Yes. It is. I'm of the opinion that not enough Regiments play in public servers to really give new players that competitive/roleplay feel that they see in YouTube Videos and SovietWomble streams to retain the playerbase, but that's another issue.

Also, unless this is a General pun, I don't know what you're on about. You're the only one who I've ever heard express a dislike for those maps, besides KRRC/KRA members who I only assume have been swayed by your opinion on the matter.

You've never heard anyone talk about maps?

There's a thread regarding the communities favorite map here, but it died a little.

As far as "You're the only one who I've ever heard express a dislike for those maps beside KRRC/KRA members", ironically, the owner of your Regiment doesn't like it either.

Just do a CTRL + F search on the #feedback section of Discord and you'll get a feel for how people feel about the aforementioned maps.

I can't respond to the accusation that I influence people's opinions; because frankly I don't know if it's because I don't like it, or if people don't like it - but I've never seen so much complaining about a map on team chat than on Arendan River personally - but that may be the obvious "Camp or Charge" mentality on that map that occupies 100% of it's existence on the rotation.

I think it's for the best to limit the amount of influence regiments has on the gameplay - especially when it affects other players. I do agree however that we've had quite enough of Fort Winston, and that there's no real reson for it to appear so frequently in the rotation now.

Yeah, please, Fort Winston has been forced down our throats for a long time. :P

p.s. We really don't pubstomp, we lose a lot of games recently - after French have started to figure out not to blindly charge Fort Winston or the Wheat Field on Spanish Farm. :P

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:08:03 am by Haybales »

• Petty Officer
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 12:05:54 pm »

There's a thread regarding the communities favorite map here, but it died a little.

I don't trust a poll where Sharpton is voted as the best map, seems like British propaganda to me.

As far as "You're the only one who I've ever heard express a dislike for those maps beside KRRC/KRA members", ironically, the owner of your Regiment doesn't like it either.

Just do a CTRL + F search on the #feedback section of Discord and you'll get a feel for how people feel about the aforementioned maps.

I did do that actually, and out of the 24 results that appeared on Arendan River, I counted 4 people who were explicitly against it, two of which being you and Jean. As for Dutch Canals, it seems to have been almost exclusively you who've voiced a distaste for it. I don't think that's enough people to "get a feel for how people feel about the aforementioned maps."

I can't respond to the accusation that I influence people's opinions; because frankly I don't know if it's because I don't like it, or if people don't like it - but I've never seen so much complaining about a map on team chat than on Arendan River personally - but that may be the obvious "Camp or Charge" mentality on that map that occupies 100% of it's existence on the rotation.

I didn't mean to come across as accusatory, but it seems only natural to me that the opinion of the biggest regiment leader will have an implicit impact on how his followers feel about a certain topic, especially if that leader makes his opinion frequently known on that topic - even more so when he embodies that opinion through actions by AFKing in spawn on Arendan, affecting the gameplay of the regiment. You are after all a pillar of the community, whether you like it or not.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:26:43 pm by Marquis de Lafayette »

Online Haybales

• Regiment Leaders
  • Purser
    • 1st KRRC
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 03:51:43 pm »
I don't trust a poll where Sharpton is voted as the best map, seems like British propaganda to me.

> "I don't agree with the vote."
> Therefore the poll is rigged. lol :o

I did do that actually, and out of the 24 results that appeared on Arendan River, I counted 4 people who were explicitly against it, two of which being you and Jean. As for Dutch Canals, it seems to have been almost exclusively you who've voiced a distaste for it. I don't think that's enough people to "get a feel for how people feel about the aforementioned maps."

If you can convince me that it is mechanically fair for the central fortification of any map to inherently be closer to one spawn (and hence, faction, in the current version of the game) - I'll retract every bad thing I've ever said about DC. It's not like it's a blatant distaste; there's a solid reason behind my opinion there. I enjoy the thought of fighting in the swamps, the canals and the fields - but 85% of the map is ignored because people run to the middle - and the French will always get there first.

*and yes, I also don't enjoy Sharpton or Fort Christinia's inherent advantages to the British either - for the record.

You, of course, wouldn't know, since you exclusively play French and have no trouble garrisoning every time this map comes around. Try it on British for once and see how you like it.

I didn't mean to come across as accusatory, but it seems only natural to me that the opinion of the biggest regiment leader will have an implicit impact on how his followers feel about a certain topic, especially if that leader makes his opinion frequently known on that topic - even more so when he embodies that opinion through actions by AFKing in spawn on Arendan, affecting the gameplay of the regiment. You are after all a pillar of the community, whether you like it or not.

Are you under the impression that I'm just going to blanket enjoy every single map in the game because I'm a "Pillar of the community"?

That I'm gonna' perform my usual schtick on maps that I just don't enjoy playing? Think again, I'm afraid.  :-X

affecting the gameplay of the regiment

If you ever see the entirety of the KRA go AFK because I go AFK, on any map, I'd love to see a screenshot. It's a casual gaming community; not a cult, lots of my guys (specifically those in the Rifle Company, Skirmishers) enjoy Arendan and often top the leaderboard - but I don't have to like the map just because people expect it of me, sorry.

• Petty Officer
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 05:45:23 pm »

> "I don't agree with the vote."
> Therefore the poll is rigged. lol :o

Ah please, you'd also turn into Trump if it had been Dutch Canals as the #1 map lol.  I'd really like to know how many of those who voted are predominantly UK / French players though.

If you can convince me that it is mechanically fair for the central fortification of any map to inherently be closer to one spawn (and hence, faction, in the current version of the game) - I'll retract every bad thing I've ever said about DC. It's not like it's a blatant distaste; there's a solid reason behind my opinion there. I enjoy the thought of fighting in the swamps, the canals and the fields - but 85% of the map is ignored because people run to the middle - and the French will always get there first.

*and yes, I also don't enjoy Sharpton or Fort Christinia's inherent advantages to the British either - for the record.

I'm not trying to show you the fairness of it, I'm trying to show that there's not any overwhelming outrage to be found from the community, even though that's what you said I should look up on Discord. But this is completely besides the point. I'm not arguing for or against the playability of any map - this is a discussion about map voting, which in my opinion is a poor solution to trying to fix the problem. Why not focus on making the maps fair (Dutch Canals, Sharpton, etc) instead of spending time developing a map voter that'll only sweep the existent problem under the rug?

You, of course, wouldn't know, since you exclusively play French and have no trouble garrisoning every time this map comes around. Try it on British for once and see how you like it.

I spend 90% of the Dutch Canals rounds flanking in ditches on the left. But again, any argument of a British disadvantage you try to make can just be immediately countered with me bringing up the disadvantage French has on Sharpton or even Fort Christina, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. The advantage of having the upper hand on a map will be alleviated when they start rotating the spawns, making it at least somewhat more fair for both sides.

Are you under the impression that I'm just going to blanket enjoy every single map in the game because I'm a "Pillar of the community"?

That I'm gonna' perform my usual schtick on maps that I just don't enjoy playing? Think again, I'm afraid.  :-X

No, that's not what I'm saying. I said that you're a pillar of the community in response to you doubting your own influence, which I believe to be bigger than you might think, and that it contributes to shaping other people's beliefs. What you do with that is up to you.

If you ever see the entirety of the KRA go AFK because I go AFK, on any map, I'd love to see a screenshot. It's a casual gaming community; not a cult, lots of my guys (specifically those in the Rifle Company, Skirmishers) enjoy Arendan and often top the leaderboard - but I don't have to like the map just because people expect it of me, sorry.

I've seen KRA leave in droves after you've left a game, and there's quite evidently more KRA playing when you're there playing with them. But yeah, ofc you shouldn't have to babysit your own regiment, nor spoonfeed them good gameplay - it's just such a joy to have you on the battlefield. <3

Online Haybales

• Regiment Leaders
  • Purser
    • 1st KRRC
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 06:17:03 pm »
I spend 90% of the Dutch Canals rounds flanking in ditches on the left. But again, any argument of a British disadvantage you try to make can just be immediately countered with me bringing up the disadvantage French has on Sharpton or even Fort Christina, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. The advantage of having the upper hand on a map will be alleviated when they start rotating the spawns, making it at least somewhat more fair for both sides.

Rotating the spawns just moves the issue to the other team. That's not a solution.

The actual spawn points need to move, if you really are chasing a fix for the issues on Sharpton, Dutch Canals.

I've seen KRA leave in droves after you've left a game, and there's quite evidently more KRA playing when you're there playing with them. But yeah, ofc you shouldn't have to babysit your own regiment, nor spoonfeed them good gameplay - it's just such a joy to have you on the battlefield. <3

It's called an event sir. We have 15 events (linebattles, internal events, fun events and skirmishers) through the week. When you see the entirety of the KRA leave a game, it's to attend an event - not because I left.  ;D ;D

There's not "more KRA when I'm online" - our group is primarily EU, and I'm also EU, so we play in EU primetime. People don't play because I do, they play because they're in the same timezone as me for primetime.

I feel like at core, we both agree on the base points here; that Fort Winston appears too much, and some maps have inherent faction advantages - but I don't think rotating the issue classes as a solution.