Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Official Server Playstyle  (Read 1190 times)

Offline LiterallyNoScope

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Faction: British Empire
Official Server Playstyle
« on: January 08, 2018, 07:50:39 am »
I'm wondering if the general consensus is that the Official Servers are always going to be, for lack of a better word, "casuals". Right now there seems to be a proliferation of music spamming, meme-ing, bunny hopping, Rambo-ing and any other nonsense you can think of. I'd like to hear from you guys: do you think this will ever change? Are there changes you think (or know of that are coming) that the devs can look at that would help to facilitate a more orderly style of play on the Official Servers? Every once in a blue moon there will be some organization, but it's so rare I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've seen it happen. Is it just a matter of giving it time so the chaff can fall off and we're left with a more dedicated playerbase?

Offline DG

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Infantry Captain Dom of the KRRC
Re: Official Server Playstyle
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 12:12:47 pm »
What servers are you playing on? :P

90% of the games i'm in are well-organised (multiple captains, doing their jobs) i normally play in EU1. If you're looking for that step further, there are open public linebattles on Saturdays, and you could also join a regiment ;)

There is discussion in another thread about a suggestion of the removal of jumping & replacing it with vaulting, as i'm also not a fan of bunnyhopping. Regarding your comment about a dedicated playerbase, i feel we already have that! I normally see the same people in game, always with friendly banter aswell. I'd say about 90% of the people in this game are nice to play with, also thank god for the mute button!

Offline LiterallyNoScope

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 01:48:09 pm »
I'm playing on the NA servers. Maybe the EU Officials are better? The times I'm on (9Pm to 1am EST) the EU servers are pretty empty, iirc.

Agreed! If there was no mute button I may have quit. I am looking into a regiment, but two little kids make it difficult to devote the specific times it seems most are looking for.

Offline DG

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Infantry Captain Dom of the KRRC
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 03:15:53 pm »
I'm playing on the NA servers. Maybe the EU Officials are better? The times I'm on (9Pm to 1am EST) the EU servers are pretty empty, iirc.

Agreed! If there was no mute button I may have quit. I am looking into a regiment, but two little kids make it difficult to devote the specific times it seems most are looking for.

Ahh i see, i'm normally fast asleep by that time! So the late NA servers may be totally different..!

Online Saga

• Regiment Leaders
  • Commander
  • Bite my shiny metal ass.
    • 4th Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: Henry Evans
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 04:49:56 pm »
When I go on the official servers I just run around like a headless chicken, don't see that ever changing, but if community servers weren't listed at the bottom I'm sure somebody could throw up an admined Linebattle server for a region and have it organised during peak hours each day.

Offline LiterallyNoScope

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 05:03:17 pm »
When I go on the official servers I just run around like a headless chicken, don't see that ever changing

Why not? Do you enjoy playing that way, or are you just doing it because everyone else is? I'm legitimately curious, not trying to bash you.

Seems to me if the veterans are not interested in attempting to organize the Official servers, chances are slim it will ever happen (I recognize this is a ton of work to attempt to do, so I totally understand if its just not something the vets even feel like trying to do).

My initial OP was more a general question - to see if there were any plans to adjust gameplay elements to facilitate more orderly battles, and if that's even viewed as possible.

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 08:19:40 pm »
I'm sure when there are more admin tools and things, people will make organized public linebattle servers. Also in  NA Siege people try to organize attacks on what objective and charges when everyone's ready. Battle servers are less organized.

Offline LiterallyNoScope

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 08:44:29 pm »
I'm sure when there are more admin tools and things, people will make organized public linebattle servers. Also in  NA Siege people try to organize attacks on what objective and charges when everyone's ready. Battle servers are less organized.

I don't think I've played on the NA Siege server yet. I'll have to check it out.

And yes, I agree things will likely improve once Admin tools are out. It's just a question of whether those servers will have a decent, regular population or not.

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 09:35:56 pm »

I don't think I've played on the NA Siege server yet. I'll have to check it out.

And yes, I agree things will likely improve once Admin tools are out. It's just a question of whether those servers will have a decent, regular population or not.

They likely will, because more people will be playing then, and admins can weed out the bad ones.

Online Saga

• Regiment Leaders
  • Commander
  • Bite my shiny metal ass.
    • 4th Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: Henry Evans
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 12:22:34 am »
When I go on the official servers I just run around like a headless chicken, don't see that ever changing

Why not? Do you enjoy playing that way, or are you just doing it because everyone else is? I'm legitimately curious, not trying to bash you.

Seems to me if the veterans are not interested in attempting to organize the Official servers, chances are slim it will ever happen (I recognize this is a ton of work to attempt to do, so I totally understand if its just not something the vets even feel like trying to do).

My initial OP was more a general question - to see if there were any plans to adjust gameplay elements to facilitate more orderly battles, and if that's even viewed as possible.
I do it because its fun and there no linebattle rules, the only way to get actual linebattles going on with all players complying is kicking the ones that don't, and thats not something that's on the official server rules.

Offline Jean-Baptiste

• Regiment Leaders
  • Chaplain
  • 89e COL | AGS/HCL Admin
  • Faction: French Empire
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 08:39:59 pm »
I love doing silly stuff in public servers!

Have you tried joining a regiment or going to the public linebattles? It might fit your playstyle better.

Offline Jinxy

• Ordinary Seaman
  • KRA Cavalry Captain and Lee
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 02:23:40 am »
I love doing silly stuff in public servers!

Have you tried joining a regiment or going to the public linebattles? It might fit your playstyle better.

Regiments certainly make things more fun and less chaotic.

Offline LePoof

• Petty Officer
  • Talk is for lovers, lets fight!
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Le poofster
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 12:57:31 pm »
Like I have said in other threads people need a reason to join the line. If the line had a element to it which allowed players to feel a benefit from, such buffs, spawn points etc... I would like to see the officers name list and a join on them button. make the line officer a spawn point or spawn nearby point with a arrow to join them. The buffs from the different types of staff classes(musicians, banners, surgeons, etc) when implemented will also aid in this.

Oh wait until CAV hits the field, omg the chaos will be enormous. I just hope they make the horses run off the map after dismount or death. Horses will be everywhere, like row boats in naval. It will be delightful if chaos is you thing otherwise pray for the Admin Controlled Line Battle servers.

Offline Jinxy

• Ordinary Seaman
  • KRA Cavalry Captain and Lee
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 03:08:42 am »
Like I have said in other threads people need a reason to join the line. If the line had a element to it which allowed players to feel a benefit from, such buffs, spawn points etc... I would like to see the officers name list and a join on them button. make the line officer a spawn point or spawn nearby point with a arrow to join them. The buffs from the different types of staff classes(musicians, banners, surgeons, etc) when implemented will also aid in this.

Oh wait until CAV hits the field, omg the chaos will be enormous. I just hope they make the horses run off the map after dismount or death. Horses will be everywhere, like row boats in naval. It will be delightful if chaos is you thing otherwise pray for the Admin Controlled Line Battle servers.

I can't wait~

Offline Ead

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 07:28:55 am »
I actually enjoy the chaos of the public servers. I like the fluid back and forth feel of the teams moving across the map. The frontlines that may or may not change. It's very relaxing to just hop into a public server and have some fun desperately trying to reload in cover while you see the enemy moving closer to you.

Line battles are a little stale atm for me. You go in, everyone is one class, follow orders, shoot each other at ranges that are hard to tell where even a knee is, and if you die you spend 10-15m watching other people play. I don't know if I'm burnt out on them or if there needs to be more to them (Classes with actual differing advantages/disadvantages, cavalry, more varied classes in use in the battles etc). Maps are incredibly huge and some aren't terribly great (I'm looking at you that new desert map with all the dunes).

Though having the option of both is where it should remain I'd argue (would really love for Public /Coastal battles to get some love; more work on these maps/modes being better)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:35:03 am by Ead »