Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Riflemen  (Read 7897 times)

Offline LePoof

• Petty Officer
  • Talk is for lovers, lets fight!
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Le poofster
Re: Rifflemen
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 04:49:15 pm »
Simple fix, have servers without Riflemen for customers that desire the option. Go ahead and place your bets on which servers will be full, and which ones will be nearly empty.

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 01:48:17 am »
Simple fix, have servers without Riflemen for customers that desire the option. Go ahead and place your bets on which servers will be full, and which ones will be nearly empty.
Do you think when riflemen are balanced, people will still hate playing against them?

Offline LueyHewis

• Standing Officer
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 10:06:46 pm »
To be honest, I think the servers are dead (mostly) because people don't want to play outside of Linebattles, because they have no reason to do so at the moment. Best thing you can do as someone who just joined into the game is look for a regiment or else you will lose interest in the game. (Except you like playing casual)

Offline Jean-Baptiste

• Regiment Leaders
  • Chaplain
  • 89e COL | AGS/HCL Admin
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 10:42:29 pm »
To be honest, I think the servers are dead (mostly) because people don't want to play outside of Linebattles, because they have no reason to do so at the moment. Best thing you can do as someone who just joined into the game is look for a regiment or else you will lose interest in the game. (Except you like playing casual)

I disagree, I love public games.

I think with a game like this one (highly unpolished) it's up to the community to keep the game feeling fun, even with the rough edges. I personally have a ton of fun when people like Haybales or veXed are playing because they really get into character and do things that would never happen in a linebattle.

That's really the reason I play this game, I like to witness and help create those fun moments.

Offline Pepe The Frog

• Able Seaman
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 08:27:02 am »

i don't think so, i've got  lots of fun with this game mainly because it offers some weird role playing aspect you don't get to see elsewhere,  i mean when this dude Jean or some officers start to organize stuff with that broken French accent, the horrid music some people streams, the Banzai charges or all the randomness that happens it really adds a lot of value to the game. Considering i been playing this over BF1, LoL and some other games i think that's a lot to say about this game's potential.

also i'm not in any regiment but from what i've seen in youtube is just doing some cute lines, fire some shots and end up doing what everyone does in public games, so i don't see why such thing should be such a big deal.

Offline Carruthers

• Midshipman
    • 4th ROF
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 09:18:14 am »
Everytime I join a server with 0/150 I expect a least 10 riflemen to kill me when I join

Offline LePoof

• Petty Officer
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 05:42:25 pm »
Do you think when riflemen are balanced, people will still hate playing against them?

Probably not, but with the option on some servers turned off we will see the community choose. In the end the customer is the bottom line. Rifleman classes to me is just the game on easy mode, or skirmish mode. I guess if the designers intend for it to be a fun Nap MOD, well than those players that want that will have it. Options are always a better choice, IMHO.

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 06:23:03 pm »

Probably not, but with the option on some servers turned off we will see the community choose. In the end the customer is the bottom line. Rifleman classes to me is just the game on easy mode, or skirmish mode. I guess if the designers intend for it to be a fun Nap MOD, well than those players that want that will have it. Options are always a better choice, IMHO.
And why do you hate rifles so much?

Offline Mousecatcher

• Surgeon's Mate
  • 51st Regiment of Foot
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 10:30:36 pm »
Right now there is no any practical reason to not take rifleman in common public skirmish game expect some rpg-motives or wierd fun ideas or sick flag-fencing.

Its not like this or that and balance, one option is just better for common player who needs frags, more frags and this is all he want or like. But this is for first 10 each team, who has fast loading.

So rifles not hated par se, they just feel "unfair" in overall logic -- almost nothing right now compensates this to other main classes. Also no real disadvantages for rifleman to other troops.

x2 reload time to current
less health (like 2/3 of line infantry)
weaker melee (less effective sword-bayonet)

General idea, rifleman must be complete shit in everything exept movement and somewhat slow sniping.

Thats how rifleman should be balanced in my opinion.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:37:16 pm by Mousecatcher »

Offline LePoof

• Petty Officer
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 11:55:32 pm »

It is the easy mode setting. Mostly it is making the game familiar e.i. just like other games. I like variety, oh and challenge my friend.

Offline Carruthers

• Midshipman
    • 4th ROF
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 11:58:10 pm »
Riflemen can't be considered fixed until the pubbies don't spam to get the slots.

Offline LePoof

• Petty Officer
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 12:02:07 am »
Right now there is no any practical reason to not take rifleman in common public skirmish game expect some rpg-motives or wierd fun ideas or sick flag-fencing.

Its not like this or that and balance, one option is just better for common player who needs frags, more frags and this is all he want or like. But this is for first 10 each team, who has fast loading.

So rifles not hated par se, they just feel "unfair" in overall logic -- almost nothing right now compensates this to other main classes. Also no real disadvantages for rifleman to other troops.

x2 reload time to current
less health (like 2/3 of line infantry)
weaker melee (less effective sword-bayonet)

General idea, rifleman must be complete shit in everything exept movement and somewhat slow sniping.

Thats how rifleman should be balanced in my opinion.

Better than the current balance I would say. However the ability to turn off any class, or having class restrictions to the number of LINE INF. Also think about when Gren's finally get NADES, or LANCERS swoop through the fields in mass my thoughts lean to the ADMIN's having some controls to allow customers a bit of spice, with variety.

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 01:22:57 am »

It is the easy mode setting. Mostly it is making the game familiar e.i. just like other games. I like variety, oh and challenge my friend.
It doesn't make sense to say that they will always be the "easy mode" setting. What about when they have a longer reload time, and/or less health? What about when cavalry is in the game, so they have to be watching out 24/7? Keep in mind that this is an Early Access game, and that it is illogical to think that a class will always be in the state it is right now.

Offline Mousecatcher

• Surgeon's Mate
  • 51st Regiment of Foot
  • Faction: Neutral
Re: Riflemen
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 07:00:14 am »
Another problems of "riflemen" sorts incoming - everyone will crave to be cavalry, riflemen, any class with real perks, expept boring line infantry (this for loosers who can't load fast)...

So with any addition to game mechanics we again find youselfs in this cursed circle.

Offline Pepe The Frog

• Able Seaman
Re: Riflemen
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 08:41:19 am »
(this for losers who can't load fast)...

exactly my thoughts, anyways... like in any other game people will complain about certain class and stuff, but my hopes are that the dev team  knows their thing and capitalize in what actually makes this game fun, imho they should give more rewards to officers that  lead their team to victory or make the game enjoyable, same for medics, support and all the other classes which are literally the same thing with different uniforms.

we need guys with ammo, mobile artillery and carpenters that can fix it.