Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Riflemen  (Read 9294 times)

Offline CharlieTwoFive

• Surgeon's Mate
  • The Swordsman
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: CharlieTwoFive
Re: Riflemen
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2018, 02:12:35 am »

They're already allowed to sit wherever they want. If they responded to an increase in reload time it would *encourage* them to sit back further, decreasing their accuracy, but giving them a cushion against rushing infantry. Still a trade off.

The thing is that they are supposed to stay back and not be directly at the frontline. They should be snipers after all, not superaccurate rambos.
MultiOnlineGamer since 2005

Offline Nr.9 Noble

• Server Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Good day to you!
  • Faction: Prussia
« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2018, 02:43:09 am »
As many have said before I would assume the addition of cavalry would be the main counter to riflemen but alas that will be much further down the line.

Offline LePoof

• Petty Officer
  • Talk is for lovers, lets fight!
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Le poofster
« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2018, 07:27:01 pm »
Public servers will be a skirmish battle until other elements prevail. I for one look forward to the new arrivals of mobile Arty/Cav. Maybe a Canoneer Class that spawns with a limbered Canon to counter Rifleman, or Hussars who can trample the bushes of sneaky little goblins like Layafette. For now however there is no reason to make Lines of battle other than enjoyment for those who find such being.

Offline TooL69

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2018, 12:52:34 pm »
Public servers will be a skirmish battle until other elements prevail. I for one look forward to the new arrivals of mobile Arty/Cav. Maybe a Canoneer Class that spawns with a limbered Canon to counter Rifleman, or Hussars who can trample the bushes of sneaky little goblins like Layafette. For now however there is no reason to make Lines of battle other than enjoyment for those who find such being.

The shootings on public servers look quite authentic, considering that during the Napoleonic wars most of the time they fought in a loose order.

Online Haybales

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master
  • Official Server Administrator
    • 1st KRRC
  • Nick: Bailey
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2018, 10:20:50 pm »
For now however there is no reason to make Lines of battle other than enjoyment for those who find such being.

This is probably the most accurate statement regarding Line Formations I've ever read on the forums or in-game.

Hopefully when incentives for forming lines make it into the game, this will change.

Offline Well

• Landsman
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2018, 08:41:54 pm »
I would, and I want to recommend this game to friends and others, but I won't.
Why? Riflemen. They are way OP and ruins the game for everyone else.
Playing on a 150player server, so 75 enemies, 6 of them riflemen. And those 6 stands for 2/3 of my deaths, and more than half of the kills in total. I have counted over several matches now.

I personally got about 20hours ingame, but this is it for me. Until they get a proper nerf or downside, there is no reason to keep playing. And take into consideration that I got a fast enough computer and internet connection allowing me to always play rifleman if I want to. And sure, I get 15-40 more kills as a rifleman, and 0-5 deaths total, but its not fun...

Online Haybales

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master
  • Official Server Administrator
    • 1st KRRC
  • Nick: Bailey
« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2018, 09:25:26 pm »
Playing on a 150player server, so 75 enemies, 6 of them riflemen. And those 6 stands for 2/3 of my deaths, and more than half of the kills in total. I have counted over several matches now.

I personally got about 20hours ingame, but this is it for me. Until they get a proper nerf or downside, there is no reason to keep playing. And take into consideration that I got a fast enough computer and internet connection allowing me to always play rifleman if I want to. And sure, I get 15-40 more kills as a rifleman, and 0-5 deaths total, but its not fun...

1,635 hours of Holdfast to my account and I actually think I 100% agree with:

Playing on a 150player server, so 75 enemies, 6 of them riflemen. And those 6 stands for 2/3 of my deaths,

It's insane how such a small percentage of the total enemy force is so powerful.

Increase their reload speed, slightly nerf their accuracy, just something would be awesome.

Offline Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Purser
  • May good health be yours!
    • Holdfast: NaW
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Refleax
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2018, 09:27:52 pm »

Yes, indeed. We plan on nerfing rifleman once again during the melee update.

We did a slight nerf to the class when we released the Prussians but it wasn't enough.

Facebook     |        Twitter     |        Community Discord

Offline Livington

• Surgeon's Mate
  • 58th Regiment of Foot, Captain
« Reply #158 on: August 05, 2018, 12:34:05 am »
I see people mainly just shrugging the idea of increased reload times off. Why is that such a bad idea?

The only reason the rifle is more accurate is because it has, brace yourselves, rifling (or grooves). Either you could put the bullet in there and shoot, but that would barely be more accurate than a musket. If you wanted to use the rifling you had to but the balls in pieces of leather for it to grip and give the ball a spinning motion, increasing its accuracy. This of course is a lot more tedious to do and requires a bit more time, but again, it increases the accuracy.

This is a trade off which was dsicussed at the time. For example, the British (quite rightly many would say) chose to use rifles to a rather large extent. This was proven very effective against the French who still chose to remain with the musket for (virtually) all their skirmishing units favouring an increased rate of fire.

Either you choose the line infantryman, hoping to put more fire down range, or you pick the rifleman hoping to put more accurate fire across the field, at the loss of volume. Of course, depsited the historical arguments this also makes a lot of sense for game balance.

Increase the reload times for rifles, please!

Also, what do people think about reload times whilst moving/ crouching?
As far as I am aware the quickest reload was:
1. Using a musket. (Quicker than a rifle.)
2. Standing up. (Chrouching put the musket at an odd angle and prolonged the process.)
3. Not moving. (For obvious reasons walking makes priming and ramming etc. way more time consuming. I know that British light infantry practiced this pretty effectively, but it was observed that the reload was much more difficult.)

Correct me where I am wrong.
[Insert an excellent or at the very least conspicuous signature here]

Offline TooL69

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2018, 11:28:24 pm »
British Light Infantry & Rifle Tactics of the Napoleonic Wars
Firing practice
Although in the line infantry musketry was usually directed against compact
masses, in the light infantry marksmanship was prized, and its training brought
a significant tactical advantage. Its value was stressed by a number of manuals:
‘To fire seldom and always with effect should be their chief study. To men who
act singly or in small parties ammunition is extremely precious, and it should
be husbanded with the greatest care. Noise and smoke is not sufficient to stop
the advance of soldiers accustomed to war; they are to be checked only by
seeing their comrades fall, and that most effectually, when they fall by the fire
of an enemy who can hardly be discovered.’23
In a regimental order of 18 October 1803 LtCol Charles Hope of the 1st
Royal Edinburgh Volunteers noted that ‘the Regiment will see the folly and
danger of firing at random. If their fire is ineffectual, they may as well stand
to be shot at with ordered arms. Every individual must take a steady aim...
let the object be to keep up a well directed fire, [rather] than a very quick
fire.’ Lieutenant G.B. Jackson of the 43rd noted that ‘Our constant caution
to the men was...aim steadily, and fire low... [The French] might fire quicker
than we did, but such hurried firing scarcely admits of precision, whilst ours
has been truly described as “careful and deadly.”’ 24
Even though the musket was much less accurate than the rifle, light
infantry undertook extensive target practice at ranges up to an astonishing
400 yards, and were taught to allow for the effect of gravity upon the ball:
at 200 yards aim was taken at the middle of the enemy’s body, at 300 at his
headdress, and at 400 half a yard above his head.