Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Potential artillery mechanics.  (Read 256 times)

Offline Wigster600

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Propagator of Yorkshire Fascism
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: John Cooper
Potential artillery mechanics.
« on: January 27, 2018, 02:56:05 pm »
A few ideas of how artillery could be spiced up has recently occurred to me;

Artillery pieces have health bars, once depleted the piece is destroyed, direct hits from other guns can completely wipe out the piece.

Gun barrels of said pieces have a capacity limit. Allowing you to fill the gun with powder charges and shot until the barrel is full to the brim.

This in turn ties into the health bar system; If a piece is loaded with too much powder or too many projectiles ontop of the powder, the artillery piece is dealth damage to its health bar or potentially destroyed with the first shot when fired. If lower impact damaging shots are kept up, the piece will eventually be destroyed by its own crew.

However having a 1:1 ratio of one powder charge and one unit of shot-type, be it round, canister, whatever else is added. The health of the gun will be preserved.

The artillery piece could potentially regain its health over a very long period of time if damaged by its crew or a carpenter could repair it which in turn could take a very long time.

That's about it so-far.
"It's all shits and giggles, until somebody giggles and shits." - Anon
"It's not personal, it's general. Therefore it includes you." - Al Murray

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
Re: Potential artillery mechanics.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 04:33:21 pm »
I like the idea though it kind of dips into hardcore sim territory. Might want to tidy the concept up and make a lite version of your suggestion?

Also, if Sappers can spike and repair artillery pieces too that's help with the meta of the suggestion.

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 07:29:00 pm »
I don't think that's a good idea, it makes it too complicated. Simply loading the ammunition, ramming and pushing would be sufficient. I like the idea of it taking a certain amount of hits to destroy though.

Offline Wigster600

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Propagator of Yorkshire Fascism
  • Nick: John Cooper
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 07:43:42 pm »
I don't think that's a good idea, it makes it too complicated. Simply loading the ammunition, ramming and pushing would be sufficient. I like the idea of it taking a certain amount of hits to destroy though.
Should've made it more clear, guns hitting guns will still be 1hk. The health bar is only for the proposed self-destruction mechanic.
"It's all shits and giggles, until somebody giggles and shits." - Anon
"It's not personal, it's general. Therefore it includes you." - Al Murray

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 09:18:13 pm »
It'd be interesting if we could cut down howitzer shell fuses to time the explosions right if we get howitzers again.

I would also love lighter horse drawn artillery that could be more mobile about the battlefield too.

Offline Secian

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Nick: Joseph Harris
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 08:36:52 pm »
It'd be interesting if we could cut down howitzer shell fuses to time the explosions right if we get howitzers again.

I would also love lighter horse drawn artillery that could be more mobile about the battlefield too.

That I assume will probably be added once cavalry is added into the game